In your honest opinion, what age is too old to never have been in a relationship?

Options
I feel like such a late bloomer.

I had the opportunity to be in one but I knew it wouldnt have worked out. Now I am almost 23 and slightly regretting it. But maybe I made the right decision.

Replies

• Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    # of dead
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You're still so young. :) There's plenty of time to find the right one. I don't think you should put an age limit on it.

I feel like that about some of my early relationships... if only I did this or that. Happy now though.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I don't think that there is an age that is to late, in my experience it doesn't make sense to date people that you don't have a connection with. Dating the wrong person leads to heartache and pain far worse than being single. I would hold out and wait for the right person or just spend your time loving who you are!
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is an age limit.
  • amymrls
    Options
    Besides you are strikingly beautiful best to weed out the crappy ones before you find your prince/princess...
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    amymrls wrote: »
    Besides you are strikingly beautiful best to weed out the crappy ones before you find your prince/princess...

Oh wow thanks so much. I appreciate that. You look really quite beautiful yourself.

Sometimes I just feel like there is something wrong with me because all my friends have been in several. But you're right I would rather wait on the right one than to focus my time and energy on the wrong one like most of my friends have done and now are heartbroken and messed up from their broken relationships.

But I am not going to lie sometimes the loneliness drives me insane.
  • amymrls
    Options
    amymrls wrote: »

Oh wow thanks so much. I appreciate that. You look really quite beautiful yourself.

Sometimes I just feel like there is something wrong with me because all my friends have been in several. But you're right I would rather wait on the right one than to focus my time and energy on the wrong one like most of my friends have done and now are heartbroken and messed up from their broken relationships.

But I am not going to lie sometimes the loneliness drives me insane.
    Thanks, no worries, in the meantime just spoil yourself! <3
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Better to wait for the right one than look back and regret that you spent the prime of your life with the wrong person. Enjoy your freedom
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I didn't have my first serious (and only serious) relationship until I was 28 or 29. Didn't date in high school. A small factor was that I'm gay, and wasn't "out" to a lot of people back then. Otherwise, I knew I hadn't met anyone worth anything serious.

I'm now in my 40's and going through another phase of being single. Enjoying it and enjoying life.

Enjoy yourself. It's never too late and the best relationships are the ones you want to be in, not just something because you're lonely.
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    I didn't have my first serious (and only serious) relationship until I was 28 or 29. Didn't date in high school. A small factor was that I'm gay, and wasn't "out" to a lot of people back then. Otherwise, I knew I hadn't met anyone worth anything serious.

I'm now in my 40's and going through another phase of being single. Enjoying it and enjoying life.

Enjoy yourself. It's never too late and the best relationships are the ones you want to be in, not just something because you're lonely.

Wow that made me feel so much better. I always feel the pressure from everyone around me to be either married or in a serious relationship...partly because I am from the south and most people my age at least where i am from have been married with kids for 3 or 4 yrs now

And then partly because I am not guy crazy like my friends. I dont talk about dating or talking about other guys unless I am deeply interested and its rare for me to be interested in someone. And i guess that weirds them out. But I dont want to settle. I want to feel a strong connection with someone which I have yet to feel.

Thanks for the advice. That gives me hope that not everyone settles.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as too old. I'm 22, and I have never been in a relationship either. If you don't think you're ready for a relationship, you're probably not. And if you think a potential relationship wouldn't work out, you should trust your instincts. My closest experience to a relationship was an online dating experience with someone very abusive and manipulative. I learned to never settle, to always trust my instincts, and above all, to make my primary focus in life my own personal growth. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. If anything, your choices show maturity and a high level of self-awareness.
  • superslug375
    superslug375 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When you're in your early 20's, there can be a lot of pressure from others and even yourself to make the "American life curve" happen: graduate, settle down, 2.3 kids, house with a garage, job, blah blah blah.

Yeah. That doesn't happen for most people.

Do what feels right for you. You'll soon discover that you alone are responsible for your life. That gives you the right to do whatever you want, and rushing into anything isn't right.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    comments.jpg
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as too old.

I know a number of people who married young (early 20s), have children, and are very unhappy. In fact, someone I know is 26, has been divorced, is remarried, has a child with his ex-wife, and a child with his current wife. He is extremely unhappy in his marriage and will probably be divorced within the next 5 years if things continue to go the way they are. Every time we talk, he goes on and on about how he longs for other women and feels he missed out on being young and doing things young people do.

Honestly, you are better off waiting until you find someone you truly connect with and can see a future with. Someone who gives you what you give to them. Someone who wants you, not someone who just knows you want them.

I believe there's nothing more important than learning to be alone, putting yourself first, and being selfish (not in the way some may be thinking). Too many people are focused on love instead of themselves.
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    There is no such thing as too old. I'm 22, and I have never been in a relationship either. If you don't think you're ready for a relationship, you're probably not. And if you think a potential relationship wouldn't work out, you should trust your instincts. My closest experience to a relationship was an online dating experience with someone very abusive and manipulative. I learned to never settle, to always trust my instincts, and above all, to make my primary focus in life my own personal growth. There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. If anything, your choices show maturity and a high level of self-awareness.

Thanks. Yeah i tried online dating once and cringed. Some of the guys on there are probably worse than the arrogant hot shots you might meet in the gym. The only thing I want to do is workout in the gym not be harassed. And whats funny is people say online dating and the gym are some of the best places to meet people but I beg to differ.
  • city_southernbelle
    Options

I know a number of people who married young (early 20s), have children, and are very unhappy. In fact, someone I know is 26, has been divorced, is remarried, has a child with his ex-wife, and a child with his current wife. He is extremely unhappy in his marriage and will probably be divorced within the next 5 years if things continue to go the way they are. Every time we talk, he goes on and on about how he longs for other women and feels he missed out on being young and doing things young people do.

Honestly, you are better off waiting until you find someone you truly connect with and can see a future with. Someone who gives you what you give to them. Someone who wants you, not someone who just knows you want them.

I believe there's nothing more important than learning to be alone, putting yourself first, and being selfish (not in the way some may be thinking). Too many people are focused on love instead of themselves.

Wow so very true and yeah I have friends in similar situations. It sucks and makes me glad I do put myself first (after God of course) and think about my happiness and well-being first, something I didnt used to do.

But yeah I am in no rush to get into something that is going to end badly. I just sometimes feel alone because all my friends have experienced it before but I love myself too much to enter a tumultous relationship.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Options
    Heartbreak stinks. Yip.
    Even moreso, if there are children involved..
  • city_southernbelle
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Heartbreak stinks. Yip.

Yeah it does. I am a product of that so I definitely dont want to do a repeat. But heartbreak whether careful or not is inevitable unfortunately.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Wow so very true and yeah I have friends in similar situations. It sucks and makes me glad I do put myself first (after God of course) and think about my happiness and well-being first, something I didnt used to do.

But yeah I am in no rush to get into something that is going to end badly. I just sometimes feel alone because all my friends have experienced it before but I love myself too much to enter a tumultous relationship.

I agree! It does get lonely but I'd rather be alone than with someone who makes me feel like I'm alone.. If that makes any sense.

Best of luck to you. And you WILL find that special man when the time is right :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Heartbreak stinks. Yip.

Yes, that's when it gets messy (and ugly in some cases)!