Are blood tests confidential from parents???

Options
I had some bloods done last month and obviously because I am on here lol my bloods aren't as good as they should be (if I was a healthy weight), now my dad is going to the docs tomorrow can they tell him my results without asking me??? It is embarrassing because I should be a healthy weight and I should have healthy bloods and I don't want anyone to know especially not my parents I am a very private person also in general so does patient confidentiality also apply with blood results for your parents or are they entitled to know because they have parental rights? Thanks in advance this is so embarrassing lol :(:(:(

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how old you are. If you're an adult I don't think they can tell your parents anything. I don't think it's the same story if you're still a minor. This is all just conjecture from me though.
  • runlikethewind7
    Options
    I'm between 20 and 30 lol :wink:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Then I think you're fine lol
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Privacy laws state they may not release any medical information about you to anyone if you are of legal age.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Blood tests are protected health information assuming you are anywhere in the US.
  • fenshae
    fenshae Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yep. They'll need a legal order signed by you to get any of that information. I had to get my husband to fill out such a form for him so I could pick up lab results on his behalf. You're safe.

But good luck getting your results to tip-top shape!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    They cannot get the results unless there is paperwork on file saying it is okay.
    One thing you will want to watch out for is if the parent is the primary policy holder, and you are under their insurance. They can most likely see where you go if a claim is submitted.

So if you are getting a blood test or medical procedures of a sensitive variety (like STI or pregnancy tests), it may be in your best interest to find one that will allow you to pay cash on a sliding scale, or not use insurance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If you're not a minor, then you're fine. HIPAA rules here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Technically, they cannot. But if your parents go to court and the court determines that you cannot act in your own best interest (which it will if your parents and doctors say that you're starving yourself and will die without intervention), they can admit you and force-feed you without your consent.

If you let this go long enough to get yourself hospitalized, odds are pretty good that your parents will take you to court before they'll watch you die. Parents are like that.

You should do whatever those doctors tell you to do. You don't want to end up tied down to a bed with a tube running up your nose and down your throat.

If you're having problems with eating,tell the doctor! He can refer you to people who can help you! :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm between 20 and 30 lol :wink:

Nope. Your medical information cannot be released to anyone (parents included) unless you have given consent.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I had some bloods done last month and obviously because I am on here lol my bloods aren't as good as they should be (if I was a healthy weight), now my dad is going to the docs tomorrow can they tell him my results without asking me??? It is embarrassing because I should be a healthy weight and I should have healthy bloods and I don't want anyone to know especially not my parents I am a very private person also in general so does patient confidentiality also apply with blood results for your parents or are they entitled to know because they have parental rights? Thanks in advance this is so embarrassing lol :(:(:(

Are you in the USA?

If you are, I think the HIPAA law protects you and your parents can't access your private medical information.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    They cannot get the results unless there is paperwork on file saying it is okay.
    One thing you will want to watch out for is if the parent is the primary policy holder, and you are under their insurance. They can most likely see where you go if a claim is submitted.

So if you are getting a blood test or medical procedures of a sensitive variety (like STI or pregnancy tests), it may be in your best interest to find one that will allow you to pay cash on a sliding scale, or not use insurance.

This is true. OP, if you are under your parents insurance, they will be able to see any lab work and medical procedures you have done. They will not however, be able to see the results.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options

This is true. OP, if you are under your parents insurance, they will be able to see any lab work and medical procedures you have done. They will not however, be able to see the results.

Hmmm... I wouldn't trust doctors to keep those results private, even if they are supposed to. What if you have a previous consent form on file? Anyway, if you're living at home and asking your parents to pay for some sort of medical treatment (related to a bad blood test?), then they will likely find out anyway. When you move out and become financially independent, you'll have more privacy. For now, living with your parents and accepting their insurance, I'm thinking privacy would be tough. No matter what, I hope you get the support you need to work on improving your health. Good luck!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Technically, they cannot. But if your parents go to court and the court determines that you cannot act in your own best interest (which it will if your parents and doctors say that you're starving yourself and will die without intervention), they can admit you and force-feed you without your consent.

If you let this go long enough to get yourself hospitalized, odds are pretty good that your parents will take you to court before they'll watch you die. Parents are like that.

You should do whatever those doctors tell you to do. You don't want to end up tied down to a bed with a tube running up your nose and down your throat.

If you're having problems with eating,tell the doctor! He can refer you to people who can help you! :)

I fail to see what any of this has to do with the OP? Where did they say they had an eating disorder?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I would remind your doctor not to disclose your info to your parents. Some of them will automatically blab to mum and dad....
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

I fail to see what any of this has to do with the OP? Where did they say they had an eating disorder?

I think it was in response to the healthy weight comment. But the OP didn't clarify whether it was due to being over/underweight, or if it was due to an ED. Some people have weight issues (over and under) from stuff like PCOS or over/under active thyroids, which can be aided in diagnosis through a blood test.

So yeah...ED assumption is a bad one.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    If your parents are in the room with you, then the doctor will likely tell you results with them present. You would specifically have to say to your parents that you do not want them in the room with you. To permit them into the room with your physician is pretty much giving permission. My mom has come with me to many appointments (I'm 33), and never not once has any doctor refused to speak with me about what is going on be it lab work, or discussing my health history.

Now if my mom goes to the same doctor as I do, no they cannot discuss any of my health information without me present as she does not have permission. The only person I have given permission to in that regards is my husband. At least, that's how it works in the US due to HIPAA.

If they have a conservatorship over you, then they may have legal rights to the information.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    If your parents are in the room with you, then the doctor will likely tell you results with them present. You would specifically have to say to your parents that you do not want them in the room with you. To permit them into the room with your physician is pretty much giving permission. My mom has come with me to many appointments (I'm 33), and never not once has any doctor refused to speak with me about what is going on be it lab work, or discussing my health history.

Now if my mom goes to the same doctor as I do, no they cannot discuss any of my health information without me present as she does not have permission. The only person I have given permission to in that regards is my husband. At least, that's how it works in the US due to HIPAA.

If they have a conservatorship over you, then they may have legal rights to the information.

A+ explanation.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

You know, you're right. I assumed an ED. I guess I assumed it because the OP said she was embarrassed about having an unhealthy body weight and poor lab results and didn't want her parents to find out.

I just assumed that a person who was overweight would not think their parents didn't know. Thinking you can hide your weight is just so typical of EDs.

I also assumed that the poor blood work came from being underweight instead of over because that would more often be the case for young women.

But she never said it. I just figured it to be the case.

I could've been wrong. She might be overweight.
  • runlikethewind7
    Options
    Sorry, I should clarify. I am not going with him, he is going for a separate issue himself. I am not under my parents insurance, I pay myself. Sadly yes, overweight. They aren't bad enough to medicate or anything, they aren't terrible they're just not that good. And yes, I realize I can't hide my weight lol and most of my family are overweight also. I just mean I don't want them knowing my bloods because as I said they aren't good enough and it's embarrassing :/