Are blood tests confidential from parents???

Options

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If your parents are in the room with you, then the doctor will likely tell you results with them present. You would specifically have to say to your parents that you do not want them in the room with you. To permit them into the room with your physician is pretty much giving permission. My mom has come with me to many appointments (I'm 33), and never not once has any doctor refused to speak with me about what is going on be it lab work, or discussing my health history.

Now if my mom goes to the same doctor as I do, no they cannot discuss any of my health information without me present as she does not have permission. The only person I have given permission to in that regards is my husband. At least, that's how it works in the US due to HIPAA.

If they have a conservatorship over you, then they may have legal rights to the information.

This is very helpful info.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should clarify. I am not going with him, he is going for a separate issue himself. I am not under my parents insurance, I pay myself. Sadly yes, overweight. They aren't bad enough to medicate or anything, they aren't terrible they're just not that good. And yes, I realize I can't hide my weight lol and most of my family are overweight also. I just mean I don't want them knowing my bloods because as I said they aren't good enough and it's embarrassing :/
    Sorry about reading things that weren't there! I made a bad assumption and ran with it. You might say I ran like the wind. ;)

Mea culpa.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Technically, current laws prohibit your doctor sharing your info without your permission. However, as has been pointed out, you may have given permission at some prior time, and the form may be on file. Or, if this is a longstanding family doctor, there could be an assumption that it's ok, because it was ok in the past when you were younger, and this is the dynamic he's used to when dealing with your family. If you're really concerned, give them a call and ask if you have a release on file, and make clear that you'd prefer that your results not be discussed with your family.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should clarify. I am not going with him, he is going for a separate issue himself. I am not under my parents insurance, I pay myself. Sadly yes, overweight. They aren't bad enough to medicate or anything, they aren't terrible they're just not that good. And yes, I realize I can't hide my weight lol and most of my family are overweight also. I just mean I don't want them knowing my bloods because as I said they aren't good enough and it's embarrassing :/

If you're working on making it better there is no shame in it. My parents actually just called me today to let me know how their lab results were, and DH busted out his labs from a few months ago and handed them to me when I opened my online labs. :laugh: I'm hoping that my insulin levels are lower next time I see my endocrinologist so I can avoid being put on medication, and if I do I'm going to wear that accomplishment as a shining badge of honor. I just wish now that I had taken my health seriously many years ago, so good on you for taking care of yourself!
  • runlikethewind7
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Sorry about reading things that weren't there! I made a bad assumption and ran with it. You might say I ran like the wind. ;)

Mea culpa.

Hahaha, it's ok :P
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I had some bloods done last month and obviously because I am on here lol my bloods aren't as good as they should be (if I was a healthy weight), now my dad is going to the docs tomorrow can they tell him my results without asking me??? It is embarrassing because I should be a healthy weight and I should have healthy bloods and I don't want anyone to know especially not my parents I am a very private person also in general so does patient confidentiality also apply with blood results for your parents or are they entitled to know because they have parental rights? Thanks in advance this is so embarrassing lol :(:(:(

Your doctor will not say anything about you to your parents. They took an oath which would be unethical to break and illegal as well. No doctor who cares about his job would break it.

You will be ok.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I would remind your doctor not to disclose your info to your parents. Some of them will automatically blab to mum and dad....

^^^^ this. I know for my son, everything has been kept private for him since he was 16. Any disclosure had to be given with his permission. He lives home with me and we live in Atlantic Canada.
  • slimandsmiling
    slimandsmiling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I am sure most doctors are aware that they should not talk to a parent of an adult child about their health (even if the parent implies they may know about their child's health). There are two things you could do to ensure, for sure, that your details are kept more private. firstly make sure you only have your mobile tel.no.on your contact details and not your parents' home tel no. or the mobile telephone number of your parents. Secondly, you could change doctors but I am assuming you probably like where you are. Why don't you talk to your doctors and tell them your concerns. It could be that they just change your registration details so that you are not linked with eachother's registrations. This would make you alot more privately. Of course, if you are no longer at home anyway you probably already have your own registration no longer linked with the rest of your family. I hope that helps. x
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    I would remind your doctor not to disclose your info to your parents. Some of them will automatically blab to mum and dad....

^^^^ this. I know for my son, everything has been kept private for him since he was 16. Any disclosure had to be given with his permission. He lives home with me and we live in Atlantic Canada.

In the US I would assume it's 18 as that is the point in which they are legally considered adults. Unless the child has been emancipated prior to the age of 18 the parents are still fully responsible medically and otherwise. At 16 I don't think that a child is fully cognizant in regards to medical decisions. I'm not saying they should not be included, but for parents to have no access to their minor child's medical information is unacceptable. Then again, I don't think 18 year olds are much better in regards to their health. I know I wasn't, and that's biting me in the *kitten* now 15 years later. A solid lesson to teach to my own children for sure - your health is of the utmost importance.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're screwed now.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    No, not unless your parent i literally sitting in the room with you when they tell you the results, which I think is implied consent or something.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

In the US I would assume it's 18 as that is the point in which they are legally considered adults. Unless the child has been emancipated prior to the age of 18 the parents are still fully responsible medically and otherwise. At 16 I don't think that a child is fully cognizant in regards to medical decisions. I'm not saying they should not be included, but for parents to have no access to their minor child's medical information is unacceptable. Then again, I don't think 18 year olds are much better in regards to their health. I know I wasn't, and that's biting me in the *kitten* now 15 years later. A solid lesson to teach to my own children for sure - your health is of the utmost importance.

Actually there are a few exceptions to the "18" age rule. First being an emancipated minor like you said. Most states will also consider you an "adult" in regards to medicine if you are married or have given birth, regardless of age. Also most states have confidentiality laws regarding sexual health. Many states state that your medical record is private, even to legal guardians, if you are seeking medical treatment for a sexually transmitted disease or other sexual Heath (birth control, pre natal care, gyn exams etc).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I don't think we should be entertaining the sub 18 crowd and their odd anxieties.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I don't think we should be entertaining the sub 18 crowd and their odd anxieties.

The OP said she was over 20.
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

OP said she's between 20 and 30. I clearly come from an overly open family that is well steeped in the medical field. I was going to go to into the ER by myself .. hahahaha!! Nope. Endocrinologist appointment... my mom was like "I'm going with you, pick me up!" ... GI appointment "I'm going with you, pick me up!" ... And she's already made it obvious she's going to go to my surgeon consult too. Lucky for me she just sits there and listens, and it's kind of handy having her there to help me fill out my totally hosed family history. :laugh:
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Here, in New Brunswick, they consider the legal age of consent as 16, so they can refuse/accept treatment and are given the right of privacy (unless waived).
    ~~~~
    http://www.legal-info-legale.nb.ca/en/uploads/file/pdfs/Patients_Rights_EN.pdf
    ~~~~
    My son has given me rights of access to certain things; but to encourage his independence I'm glad he keeps some things private. So for the OP, unless there is an assumed level of approved disclosure (if disclosure has been ongoing in the past with no objection), the dr may assume the approval is ongoing, unless advised otherwise. For example, my mother was just diagnosed with cancer and during my last appointment, the dr recommended that in light of my mothers diagnosis (which had just happened) that I not consider travelling outside of the country to visit other family until my mothers health is stable (finished chemo/radiation/etc). I did convey what the dr said to my mother. My mother may decide she does not want the dr to discuss her medical issues with me in the future ... so my mum would need to convey this to the dr (to withdraw her consent). FYI
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're over 20 years old, so you should be safe.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    IF you are over 18 in the US, it's utterly illegal for them to tell your father, and you can get the practicioner's medical license yanked for doing it.

Depending on the state, even teenagers have to give permission.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm between 20 and 30 lol :wink:

You should be fine. My adult daughter and I see the same doctor, and I am told nothing about her medical care.

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

You will be fine! :) They can't tell him anything.