anyone struggling with emotions and hate this time of year?

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
edited December 2014 in Motivation and Support
I was thinking of going away this Christmas because I was so down last year at this time. I know a lot of people have a hard time and if you need to let it out we are here for you. It is family time and a lot of people are alone or have bad families. We get depressed and we eat.

I cant remember when I wasn't sad over Thanksgiving and Christmas. Well, maybe when I was small. I married young and it was a terrible marriage and holidays were a nightmare. We divorced and parents were just like this husband so they were of no support. I had children when they were teenagers went to live with him. I put up this tiny little tree and just cried.

Well to make a long story short, adult children had a drinking problem like Dad and parents were getting old and they had been wild and neglectful.

I married well the 2nd time but my family was crippling me especially Holidays. My best friend had a wonderful family that I had to watch, heck it seemed everyone did.

But for some reason I have been at peace this year. No one is different. I lost weight, I changed jobs and work is with people who have it much worse than me, autistic children, hard to handle teens, and people with no money or food.

I had a terrible cold also before Thanksgiving and am so grateful to feel well. I feel grateful for a lot of things. I don't know if I can keep this mindset but I sure hope so. I don't know if this will help anyone else but it has helped me. I wish all of my MFP friends peace not only with weight loss but with a peaceful life with gratitude. Because with gratitude it is hard to feel sorry for yourself. Yep, I am grateful I have money to go to the gym and I can buy healthy foods, some people cant buy any food.

Replies

• jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Glad your holidays have improved! I can't complain this year, I just hope people struggling will come across your post.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you for that. <3
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for the reminder to be grateful.
    Help someone else today...it will help you. Us all.
    Glad you have new job. Im making efforts to come out of my comfort zone. Ain't easy but I do it so I won't be sad this season. Some science to fake it till you make it.
  • Happinessity3
    Happinessity3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Glad I came across this post. I feel the same every year... Thanksgiving, Christmas, but I don't have anything bad to really feel about. I think honestly I just suffer from Seasonal Depression. I have a wonderful family, and my kids are good. I have a great job, and honestly I don't want for anything. My weight however.... sucks. Here to change that... but hard to get motivated when you are depressed. I hate snow... but here in Ohio we have a lot of it at times. Blah. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, and a blessed New Year.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    FixIngMe15 wrote: »
    Glad I came across this post. I feel the same every year... Thanksgiving, Christmas, but I don't have anything bad to really feel about. I think honestly I just suffer from Seasonal Depression. I have a wonderful family, and my kids are good. I have a great job, and honestly I don't want for anything. My weight however.... sucks. Here to change that... but hard to get motivated when you are depressed. I hate snow... but here in Ohio we have a lot of it at times. Blah. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas, and a blessed New Year.

Not to get off topic, but have you considered a vitamin D supplement? Seasonal Depression is often just a D defficiency because we don't get much sun in the Winter.
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yep. Single, lonely with no chance of meeting anybody due to being too short and skinny.
    All of my family are away so I'll be spending Christmas Day in the house alone.
    And my ex probably won't let me see my daughter over the holidays given that she won't answer my attempts to get in touch and arrange contact.
    I am dreading this Christmas.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thank you for your replies, I knew I wasn't the only one. Christmas is just one day away and I feel for all of ya that this time of year is hard for you. Try to make your own happiness, do something good for yourself!
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I am feeling a little down that even though I've maintained my weight, I couldn't get it together enough to lose more this year. Stress, depression and a job schedule that never seemed steady all interfered. I managed to exercise, but because I wasn't eating great, I couldn't drop the pounds I hoped to and will be obese for another year. I know this is my fault really, and people tell me, "Oh congratulations on maintaining! That's great!" but I wish I had lost maybe about 20-30 more pounds like I did in 2013.