Favorite meal with minimal cooking

Options
1235»

Replies

• CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    In the winter I like soups. It helps if your pantry is well stocked, and if you have some leftovers in the fridge.

You can throw a soup together in 20 minutes with the following method:

2 - 4 cups chicken or beef stock
    Container of pre-chopped onion, celery and carrot

Let veggies simmer. When tender, add the following:

1 cup salsa, pasta sauce, or canned tomatoes
    2 cups lentils or canned beans (Trader Joe's has steamed lentils ready to eat)
    1/2 cup leftover chicken, pork or beef, chopped
    Seasonings of your choice: coriander, thyme, rosemary, oregano, basil or cilantro...

Optional: frozen veggies, leftover rice, quinoa, pasta, corn, potatoes

You should have lots left over, making future meals really quick.
    Sometimes I season each serving of soup separately. Then I can change it up so I don't grow tired of it day after day.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Greek chicken wrap:

Marinate chicken tenderloins in Mediterranean spices and the vinegar of your choice (I use a honey ginger vinegar for this, but white balsamic or white wine vinegar works well too.)

Meanwhile smash an avocado, mix with thinly sliced onion, sliced cherry tomatoes and feta cheese (in amounts of your choosing.)

Cook the chicken in a frying pan until done. Lay it on a tortilla and fill the remaining space with the avocado feta mixture. Wrap and enjoy.

You can add other things like olives and artichoke if you like.
  • siobhanmoo
    siobhanmoo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Courgette and mushroom spaghetti is one of my go-to recipes.

Fresh spaghetti (the kind that just needs 3 mins in boiling water)
    Slice a courgette and some mushrooms finely and fry in a little bit of olive oil until brown and crispy (the courgette goes all gorgeously sweet and a bit crunchy), add some garlic (I use the squeezy tube lazy stuff), and salt, then add the spag, squidge it all round and add a tiny bit of olive oil to dress. Serve with a big salad (from a bag). Voila!
  • ecampbell18
    Options
    Throw some chicken breast in a ziplock bag with some bbq sauce, freeze it. Dump it in a crockpot on low before leaving for work. Nuke a potato, an a steam able bag of broccoli, melt a lil coconut oil, toss on a lil shred cheese. Within minutes you can have a tasty meal on your plate with leftovers to nuke tomorrow! ;)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    siobhanmoo wrote: »
    Courgette and mushroom spaghetti is one of my go-to recipes.

Fresh spaghetti (the kind that just needs 3 mins in boiling water)
    Slice a courgette and some mushrooms finely and fry in a little bit of olive oil until brown and crispy (the courgette goes all gorgeously sweet and a bit crunchy), add some garlic (I use the squeezy tube lazy stuff), and salt, then add the spag, squidge it all round and add a tiny bit of olive oil to dress. Serve with a big salad (from a bag). Voila!

I'm not actually sure what a courgette is!

• siobhanmoo
    Options
    Sorry, I forget you call things different names over the pond! You call them zucchini.
  • siobhanmoo
    Options
    I actually had to google that after I wrote it just to check, in case I had told you to make pasta with some weird exotic fruit or something lol
  • cosmic8o8
    cosmic8o8 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Microwave Egg and Bean Scramble:
    1 can pork & beans
    4 eggs

Put beans in microwave safe bowl. Scramble eggs and lightly mix with beans. Microwave for 2min, scramble eggs and beans, microwave for another minute or two until eggs are completely cooked. Makes 2 servings.
  • rbfdac
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    If didn't want to cook much and weren't imposing any food restrictions on myself I would:

Buy a cooked rotisserie chicken
    Buy some bags of fresh chopped salad
    Buy a loaf of French bread
    Buy some frozen corn on the cobs

The only thing you'd have to do is slice the chicken and bread, put dressing on the salad and boil the cobs for 10 minutes.

This is basically what I have been doing here lately- I buy some pre-made salad with nuts and croutons, put some tofu in it (pescatarian) and have some frozen brussel sprouts on the side!

• rbfdac
    Options
    siobhanmoo wrote: »
    Sorry, I forget you call things different names over the pond! You call them zucchini.

hahaa!!! Zucchini, yes! :)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Rice + raw egg + soy sauce + eaten with nori sheets = yum!!

Broccoli pan steamed in a bit of chicken broth.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I buy a bunch of bags of frozen berries and split them up into Tupperware cereal bowls (each bowl gets a bunch of different berries - Oh, and cherries, too. Frozen cherries, too.)

Each night, I move one from the freezer to the fridge. It gets eaten for breakfast about 36 hours later. I crumble some Nature Valley Crunchy Granola, Apple Crisp flavor into it and YUM! Sometimes I add golden raisins.

There is a little work involved when I get home from the grocery store, but it doesn't get much easier than that, meal-wise. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    6 oz of ground turkey in the skillet. A few hundred grams of zucchini and yellow squash in another (onions and garlic too). Takes about...8-10 minutes. I put hot sauce on it. It's a weird meal but I hate cooking and it tastes good...also, like 400 calories for dinner.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Can you spend a few hours on a Sunday afternoon? I have two teenage boys, a full time job and a husband who travels--not a lot of time here either!!! Make a pot of some kind of grain--brown rice, quinoa, farro and spelt are biggies here. Then prep a crock pot with some kind of dry beans--black or pinto mostly. Monday morning plug in the crock pot so the beans are done by the time you get home from work on Monday. Keep whole grain tortillas and shredded cheese on hand. Maybe make a pot of noodles too. Then throughout the week you can do beans and rice (or whatever grain you made) with cheese on top, quesadillas--with or without the beans inside, noodles with either just steamed veggies and cheese or actual red sauce. Keep bags of fresh chopped veggies in the fridge--the kind that you can steam in the bag. Scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese (I don't do the cheese--too many calories for not enough payoff)--you can do the eggs as is or rolled in a tortilla, or scrambled with the beans and some veggies. If you are feeling really ambitious on Sunday make a big baked pasta that you can portion out for lunches or dinners--I do a baked mac and cheese with whole wheat noodles, tofu (blended in the sauce), shredded carrots and low fat cheese. We are vegetarians, so all of that is veggie friendly. Of course keep veggie burgers, veggie breakfast sausages, veggie chicken nuggets, veggie hot dogs-whatever of that you like to have on the side of whatever you put together.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of canned salmon...no cooking necessary. Sometimes I add it to a salad. Sometimes I just eat it with some microwaved vegetables. Sometimes I mix it with cottage cheese.