Why weight training is better for your waistline than running

Options
"Why weight training is better for your waistline than running" <
Most of the very successful people on MFP have been saying this for a long time. Here's the link to this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/active/11310141/Why-weight-training-is-better-for-your-waistline-than-running.html

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I think the best take-away from the article is the line "Combining weight training with aerobic exercise led to even better results...". No arguments there...both have their place.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It actually says

A new Harvard study has found that weight training is a better way of keeping the middle-aged spread at bay than aerobic activity

Keeping weight gain at bay is different from losing. Thought the article was poor and stated the obvious, context is everything.

They are different with different advantages. I do both. I dont believe one is any better than the other because they are different.

Ntw where did you get most of the very successful people bit from? have you done a survey?
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    They both serve a purpose. Everyone is all "I hate cardio". Guess what? Your heart needs cardio. If you walk, you're doing cardio.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The headline doesn't match the content of article very well....

"Combining weight training with aerobic exercise led to even better results, the study found."
    "To maintain a healthy weight and waistline, it is critical to incorporate weight training with aerobic exercise."

Why can't we have both?
  • CyborgTrainer
    CyborgTrainer Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like to recommend to my clients to try HIIT in the place of steady state cardio. 3-4 days per week. Research is showing that cardio is actually detrimental when trying to maintain muscle mass (hypertrophy).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387377

Which is a double edged sword. We also know that the more muscle mass, the more the body utilizes the fat for fuel.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

"Combining weight training with aerobic exercise led to even better results, the study found."
    "To maintain a healthy weight and waistline, it is critical to incorporate weight training with aerobic exercise."

Why can't we have both?

both.png
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    They both serve a purpose. Everyone is all "I hate cardio". Guess what? Your heart needs cardio. If you walk, you're doing cardio.

Intensive weight training is cardio, my heart works really hard when I lift heavy. I don't like gym based cardio as many would define it (treadmill, cross trainer, etc), I'd much rather play football or go running along the beach.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Intensive weight training is cardio, my heart works really hard when I lift heavy. I don't like gym based cardio as many would define it (treadmill, cross trainer, etc), I'd much rather play football or go running along the beach.

Intensive weight training is NOT cardio. Blood pressure increases and forces the heart to beat faster to keep it flowing, it's got nothing to do with training the cardiovascular system for health and fitness.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »

Why can't we have both?

both.png

^This little girl is correct. I like running. I like weight lifting. My heart is happy with me and my figure is coming along just as I like it.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Research is showing that cardio is actually detrimental when trying to maintain muscle mass (hypertrophy).
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19387377

That's not what the study said. What it said was that a body trained for both cardio and strength fitness isn't as strong as a body trained only for strength fitness.

That is not at all the same as labeling cardio as "detrimental".

And conversely, a body trained only for strength won't have as high a level of cardio fitness as one trained for both.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Keep hating on cardio all you want. When zombies invade I'll be able to out run you all ;)
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

both.png

It's the first thought I had when I read the title of the thread.

• peter7361
    peter7361 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Why can't we have both?

both.png

Great, now I want tacos.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    so much broscience in the comment section
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Keep hating on cardio all you want. When zombies invade I'll be able to out run you all ;)

*grin* And I'll do even better.

Zombies can't swim.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Virtual high-five!

Cardio is important. Strength training is important. Do both. Be fit all around.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Why can't we have both?

THIS. Each has its place.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Your heart is your most important muscle as you age. Do your cardio.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    What works best for stopping middle age spread is making sure that your caloric intake does not exceed your expenditure, regardless of the form of exercise. I have and will continue to do both cardio and strength training in varying proportions as it suits my current fitness goals. This debate is like flogging a dead horse - one that died when MFP first debuted.