Need help. Design me a portable speed bag for the gym.

Options
Here is a speed bag pic.
16085710252010014524.jpg

I've asked my Y to put one in but they won't. So I was throwing around the idea of making a portable one.

1) Instead of a fixed mount. I thought I could use one of the pull up bar sets to hang one from. Rubber mounts to sit against the wall and either a fixed bar with a hook or a chain with a hook for the front.

2) The "back board" that the bag would hit against could be made in 2 half circles with a hinge. so it folds up for transporting and folds out when set up.

3) Of course, I'd probably need to set a few weights on top of the "back board" in order to create some stability. so when you hit the bag and backboard, it wouldn't bounce.

Feasible? Anyone seen one?

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    No suggestions?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Haha! You really do want one of these :smiley:

Is this for your place, or do you want to take it with you to the gym? What about something like this?
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Gorilla Gym makes one that attaches to their doorway pull up bar. I am not too sure on what your Y's pull up bars look like (pretty sure they don't pressure mount to the door). Is there any way you could fabricate a circular piece of plywood with some bolted on brackets and (temporarily) cotter pin or bolt them in to a piece of equipment? If not, I would ask for a meeting with the Y's owner to figure something out...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Oh for the gym? I think that no liability-conscious gym manager would allow a diy punching bag to be suspended from her or his equipment.

I like and admire the idea, though. Why not just get one for home?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Yeah, maybe management might have a problem. Would be a waste to make one then prohibit it. Another idea is to have a bag that is suspended I between to elastic ropes