how late should I work out?

Options
So there are some nights that I don't get home from work until 9-930. I have been told through the grapevine that you shouldn't work too close to your bed time, but how late is too late?

Replies

• darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I think the issue is that it can keep you awake. I know if I personally work out within two hours of my bedtime, there is no way I can fall asleep.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Well, if that is the only time you can get it in, then that is much better than nothing!! I wouldnt worry about when is a good time, as any time is a good time if it fits into your life!
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you, and you alone. I work out sometimes 30 minutes to an hour before bed because of my schedule and the schedule of my buddy. If it gets you super hyper, then obviously you won't be able to fall asleep. However for me, I'm fine and just have more energy. I say try it for a week and then do it in the morning for a week and see how you feel each time.
  • mignalg
    mignalg Posts: 30
    Options
    I personally think it depends on you. For me, working out wakes me up big time which is why I can't workout too close to bed, but when I was deployed I would workout before bed and could pass right out, so it all depends on how your body will react to it. My husband works out before bed sometimes and he has no trouble sleeping, everyone is different!!!
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Working out kicks my *kitten*, so I'm good to go to bed once I get home and showered. It's a personal thing for sure!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Def. a personal thing. The only workout I can do close to bedtime is gentle / restorative yoga or swimming... anything else gets me too jacked up and I'd never fall asleep. YMMV.
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Work out whenever it's most convenient. Just do it. Sometimes a workout at the end of the day followed by a hot shower is just what you need for a great night's sleep.
  • AerikaJ
    AerikaJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I workout at night too and I don't have a problem sleeping either. I sleep like a rock afterwards. However, I do have more of a problem with night sweats. I have them anyway, but it seems that after a workout they are even worse. I hope all that heat is burning calories. : )