Hints for Surviving Over Eating Christmas Day

Options
Hi MyFitnessPal Community, Merry Christmas to All. Now like alot of us we struggle with the Temptations of Over Eating specially on the Junk Food. The only way I think I'd survive is by not actually going. I'd Just want to enjoy the day without feeling like I don't need to eat for a week. Does anyone have special Hints to survive and comfortably enjoy the day. Thanks Michael

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Fast till dinner
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    Snack on veggies with a bit of dip then fill your plate with salad and veggies, turkey potatoes grave only get one corner of the plate then repeat
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I'll survive. Lasagna has never killed me before, that I know of.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    One day out of the year, or for that matter 8 or 9 days scattered throughout the year will not hurt long term progress. Enjoy your time with those you love, and forget the calories for the day. Then get back at it the next day and the days following. If you do that, over the month it will not make a significant hit to your overall loss. It is far more important who you are with at during that day than obsessing over the calories you are consuming.

As for a hint, eat slowly and drink lots of water while you eat. It will give time for you to realize you are full.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the holiday, it is only one or so days out of the year. The rest of the year is what is important.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the holidays with your family and friends. If this means eating a bit or a lot more, so be it. It's only a day or 2 of extra calories. Add an extra walk or workout if you want to. Eat, log and move on.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Fast till dinner

Personally for me, this would be the worse thing. I'd be so hungry, I would just stuff myself!! lol

• Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    I am already convinced it will happen and will get back to normal after.
  • Michael230272
    Options
    Fast till dinner
    thanks for that, but i'd eat my fingers by then so not sure if I can do that lol :smile:

• cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've already given in to the temptations of the holidays....the goodies, the drinks...all of it. I fully plan to eat all the things on Christmas day, too. I'm glad I'm almost at goal and not starting out, so I feel I can give myself this little break and then get back to being serious after Boxing Day. I have been trying to limit the damage of all the dinners and potlucks by loading up on a lot of basic green salad and supplementing it with a little bit of each other dish. Still higher calorie than I'd normally eat, but not as much as I would have eaten this time last year. I have the same plan for Christmas dinner....lots of salad and turkey, but not going to deny myself a few perogies and dressing. I've also kept up my gym schedule, so I haven't fallen completely off the wagon. My skinny pants still fit, so I can't have done too much damage over the last couple weeks.....some damage, I'm sure, but not too much.

Relax and enjoy Christmas dinner. Get back on track when it's over.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Its only two days - so why bother celebrating it? Just eat as normal and let it go by.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    No reason why Christmas dinner can't be healthy. Turkey is pretty lean and fill up on veg and just a couple of roasts. Eat light but delicious snacks for breakfast and supper. A splurge one day won't undo your good work but depriving yourself can lead to you eventually falling off the wagon. Have sunburned sensible is what I plan to do
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Auto correct! Should say have fun. Not sure how that turned into sunburned
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just eat everything then get back on it on the 27th. That's my plan. Best not look at the scales for two weeks unless you're not easily depressed. Continue training throughout the Christmas period. (If your gym's closed, do bodyweight stuff at home.)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    work out. eat a little less through out the day. don't go too nuts at dinner, but also enjoy yourself. it's one day.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You don't need to go overboard, just have normal portions.

We're having chicken and veg for dinner, with stuffing and pigs in blankets. I'll probably have egg for breakfast and cheese on crackers for for lunch, maybe a mince pie after dinner, and a glass of wine. Nothing I'm worried about!

Apart from that, I've had a couple of mince pies and some truffles so far, over the past few days, and today we're having a little get-together with cheese and pâté on crackers, quiche, crisps, olives etc. My gym is only closed for 2 days.

We don't have thanksgiving in England, so this is the one time of year I eat what I like, so there's nothing to stress about.
  • rafikiphoto
    rafikiphoto Posts: 35 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I will walk the dogs earlier than usual tomorrow morning, that's 2-3 miles, so that I can get my 12 mile cycle ride in before our Christmas lunch with friends. That gives me 2500+ cal allowance to eat. I have foregone alcohol for a month now and don't miss it so I shall drink water in my wine glass during the afternoon. I don't usually eat all my calorie allowance anyway. This evening we have Christmas eve with other friends, more temptation so I have already walked the dogs and am just off for my bike ride. Perhaps I will lose weight this Christmas! o:)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    We don't have thanksgiving in England, so this is the one time of year I eat what I like, so there's nothing to stress about.

:smiley:

Imagine being an American Chinese. You'd have Christmas, Thanksgiving and Chinese New Year.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

:smiley:

Imagine being an American Chinese. You'd have Christmas, Thanksgiving and Chinese New Year.

Lol. My sister's husband is Chinese actually. She's in Hong Kong with him right now. Wonder what they'll eat for Xmas dinner.
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm intending to do a 30 day shred day - it's only 20 / 25 minutes and I am doing it as a Christmas present to myself.
    As for food, I will eat in moderation and not eat until I want to explode but I will go with what my Granny used to say "a little of everything does you good. Except sprouts. They are proper evil.