Christmas Hors d'oeuvres

Options
Christmas day at my parents house usually involves massive amounts and varieties of hors d'oeuvres. All day, before and after meals. I have no control over the food served. Ever since I was a little kid this format has resulted in me eating nonnnnstooopp, essentially binging. Watching a Christmas movie? also eating. opening gifts? also eating, going for a walk? eat first then afterwards. Catching up with relatives? Do it while eating!

I know that I am capable of controlling the amount I eat, but I find it much more difficult than controlling my day to day intake. Possibly because it creates feelings that socializing and being involved in the family requires eating this stuff. They're eating it, why not me? Logically I know that I can be part of the celebration without totally gorging myself. However, being as I find it so difficult, would it be better if I just forego hors d'oeuvres and save my appetite for actual meals/desserts? I think that it is harder for me to limit myself to a little than it is to forego something entirely. Is there any other way I am more likely to control my intake? I know that it really is just making the choice to eat right, but sometimes when it comes time that choice is harder than it sounds. What can I do to make it easier?

Replies

• AmmB23
    AmmB23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here's what I do to help control myself...

Those 5 pigs in a blanket = 250 calories = 20 minutes on the elliptical. It could take me 3 minutes to eat them, and 20 minutes to work off. Is that worth it? Nope.

How about those 4 mini quiche? 190 calories = 30 minutes on the treadmill. Worth it? Nope.

Individually these don't seem like much, but remember how very quickly it adds up.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Are there any healthy/healthier items? Ex: shrimp cocktaiL? Also, can you eat bfst before you go so your not starving when you get there? Also, make sure you drink a lot of water to help you......
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    If you know what will be around, pre-log the whole day including the treats you want to eat, then spread them out throughout the day. You will know what you are allowed and you won't go crazy trying to log all day. Also, save a few hundred cals or so and you will have a little wiggle room.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    AmmB23 wrote: »

Those 5 pigs in a blanket = 250 calories = 20 minutes on the elliptical. It could take me 3 minutes to eat them, and 20 minutes to work off. Is that worth it? Nope.

How about those 4 mini quiche? 190 calories = 30 minutes on the treadmill. Worth it? Nope.

Individually these don't seem like much, but remember how very quickly it adds up.

That's an awful mindset, judging foods by how long it may take to burn those cals off. Sets up a terrible relationship with food
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    do 50 push ups in between each appetizer you eat.

Or just don't sweat it and get back to your routine on Friday
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I will take any good appetizers that you are passing up.

I focus on my fitness & weight goals 90% of the year, this is part of the 10% that I don't worry about and just enjoy it all, I will go way over my normal calorie goal, I will enjoy every single bite, and than I will get back to staying within my goals.

I also do not think of exercise as punishment for food choices.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

That's an awful mindset, judging foods by how long it may take to burn those cals off. Sets up a terrible relationship with food

Yeah but it works sometimes! The thing is though... if it fits your calories, you don't have to burn the calories off. That's what I don't like in the 'it takes one hour on the treadmill to burn a croissant so I won't have one' mentality. Eating treats can fit your calories just fine without having to make up for it with cardio.

So just have one pig in a blanket and one mini quiche.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Another option - enjoy what you are eating. Don't worry about fitting into your calories this one day...BUT, that means truly enjoying what you are eating. Don't eat unless you are paying attention to your food - eat what you really like. Be a bit more mindful when you are eating and what you are. You can still have a few apps, but don't just stuff them in. You can still eat at all the meals, but only take one helping (or two if you truly, truly want it). It is one day, and a good day to enjoy the food (all the food), but you can still be smart about it.

Example - I'll be having creme brûlée french toast, then going to a friend's house for lunch/dinner. I'm sure we'll start with cheese, and I'll have some, but only a small plate amount and not seconds. We'll have turkey with all the fixings - I'll have it all - and we'll see what I want second of, while also knowing I'll want dessert too. And I'll be drinking wine throughout. Will I go over my calorie amount? Heck, yes. But today I'm sticking to my goal and I do tend to end up in a week hitting my goals quite well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I agree with being mindful of what you eat. I try not to watch tv while eating anymore... it seems to help with satisfaction so I don't have to stuff my face.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Be picky. Choose only your very favorite things to nibble on. You don't have to eat everything there.
    Take a small portion of stuff you really like and eat it slowly. Drink a full glass of water with it to slow you down. (I seriously made two cookies last 2 hours the other day during a family game night this way.)
    Bring a large veggie or fruit tray to the gathering. Eat lots of vegetables or fruit for snacks. You can eat a lot more of those without too much concern.
    Don't eat any snacks/appetizers and do something else with your hands. Sip a drink. Knit. Do a craft or puzzle. Take pictures. Help clean up. Play with the kids. Chew gum. Just be busy.
    Don't stress about it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Christmas day at my parents house usually involves massive amounts and varieties of hors d'oeuvres. All day, before and after meals. I have no control over the food served. Ever since I was a little kid this format has resulted in me eating nonnnnstooopp, essentially binging. Watching a Christmas movie? also eating. opening gifts? also eating, going for a walk? eat first then afterwards. Catching up with relatives? Do it while eating!

I know that I am capable of controlling the amount I eat, but I find it much more difficult than controlling my day to day intake. Possibly because it creates feelings that socializing and being involved in the family requires eating this stuff. They're eating it, why not me? Logically I know that I can be part of the celebration without totally gorging myself. However, being as I find it so difficult, would it be better if I just forego hors d'oeuvres and save my appetite for actual meals/desserts? I think that it is harder for me to limit myself to a little than it is to forego something entirely. Is there any other way I am more likely to control my intake? I know that it really is just making the choice to eat right, but sometimes when it comes time that choice is harder than it sounds. What can I do to make it easier?

Only you can know what is easier for you. If skipping the hors d'oeuvres altogether is easier, then do that. Or, you could plan out exactly how many you will allow yourself in advance. IDK if that would make it easier or harder for you, though, because we are not all the same.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

Not necessarily. Just because it might do so for you, does not mean it would for someone else.
  • daedalus01
    daedalus01 Posts: 44 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It's Christmas, the most you'll gain is 1lb unless you're bionic. Just enjoy the day!!! Stop thinking about calories and just enjoy your friends and family and the all the treats that come with the day. You can get back to calorie counting and macros after.

Edit: You people seem to forget, this is a life long commitment, after you're done losing you'll either maintain or bulk, either way you'll still be counting those calories/macros. ENJOY YOURSELF.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    It's one day. Eat, log, move on.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I would just eat them and be merry.

I don't stress myself out over food, especially good food on a holiday.

This is a lifestyle change..do you plan to avoid these things for the rest of your life? If no, then you have to work them in and just go with it.

They're not going to ruin progress
  • d00dlefairy
    d00dlefairy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ate to my heart's content yesterday. Nearly 1000 calories over what I should stick to, to lose weight slowly. I enjoyed every thing I ate/drank very much. Logged it all today and had a good laugh with my daughter about the amount. The scale smiled with me today and told me I weigh 300g less. Just enjoy your Christmas snacks, it'll be over soon. :smiley: