Trying to eat healthy while having to eat out!

Options
Hi everyone,

I find myself in a position where I have to eat out at least once a day during the holiday season (home from college, visiting family and friends/working) and I'm looking for tips on how to make sure I'm making the right choices in where to go/what to get/when to take some home.

Feel free to reply and add me! :smile:

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the menu of the place you're going to beforehand, decide what you're having, and stick to it when you get there! lol
  • kylew429
    Options
    Hey I know that feeling of having to eat out constantly on the Holiday when with family and friends. Just two days ago I had to eat waffle house for breakfeast, varsity for lunch, and spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. What I did to survive was look at the menus and try to decide what had the least calories, most protein etc... ahead of time. It really helped me out through out the day but in the end I did most likely go over my calories but remember that one day isn't going to ruin you forever. It's what you do in the long run that counts so enjoy the time you time you are able to spend with family and friends and don't be too hard on yourself! Merry Christmas!
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Try to look at the menu online and gather nutritional info prior to going.

If you can't just try to make what you think is a good choice for your goals. Common sense goes a long way in this regard.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I check out the menu items marked for seniors, heart-healthy, and children (if the restaurant will allow). Sometimes I order whatever I feel like but only eat half. I ask for the takeout container right after my meal arrives so I can pack it away, sight-out-of-mind. This also makes tracking easy especially if it is a chain restaurant. I simply pick the entree and mark it as 0.5 portion.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Bruschetta for appetizer, house salad instead of fries, broiled instead of breaded and fried. Watch the beverage choices! Water is cheaper anyways.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Definitely check out the menu online before you go. That way, you'll be informed and you also won't have to look at the menu in the restaurant and be tempted by the yummy-looking pictures. After you eat, regardless of what you ordered, you'll probably be satisfied and feel like you had a nice meal--it's just getting past the ordering stage that can be hard!

If nutrition info isn't available, stick with grilled meats and steamed veggies. Even if it's not actually on the menu as such, most places should be able to accommodate that.
  • dalia_mariaa
    Options
    Some good tips here. I get side salad instead of fries, if available, otherwise skip the side altogether. Water or unsweetened tea to drink. At family's, I fill my plate with salad and any veggies first, then put whatever meat they are serving on top or off to the side, depending on what it is. I go easy on any empty calorie carbs. Even most restaurants now offer options like bunless burgers if you ask, or burgers made with chicken breast, side salad options, sandwich places like subway now offer multi-grain breads or can serve you your fave sub as a salad instead...if you choose cuts like turkey breast or lean black forest ham, you're good to go. It helps to pick up a pamphlet with nutritional info where ever you go, and keep that in your purse.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    To keep calories lower than otherwise,
    Look for plain grilled or baked.
    Stay away from fried, breaded, or anything with sauce and lots of cheese. Get salad dressing on the side. . Stay away from / limit breads and desserts and alcohol.
  • 221shannon
    221shannon Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    We go to a lot of restaurants that don't have their nutrition information posted anywhere and most of the time we pick where to go just before we get there so it's a little hard. I've been doing ok looking for the healthier things on the menu, and i don't drink soda much, but it's hard.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.

We now have a Cookout restaurant now in Murray and I get the Low Carb Huge Burger. They started in NC and SC region and and have worked their way westward to the MS River now with 150+ restaurants.

That is two patties with two slices of onion, two slices of tomato and two pieces of lettuce which is $3.59 with tax. So I give up the bun and get two slices of tomato in exchange.

The chain owner is from here originally, the food is high quality and the people are awesome so I eat there most days to get low carb high fat meal with some veggies. :)