Sugar Free

Options
I am so happy to find others who are passionate about losing weight and being healthy! I am new to the site but have lost 9 LBS and 6.5 on this site. I have 10 more to go and I know being 90% SUGAR FREE made a huge difference. Has anyone else stopped eating ( most sugar)

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I significantly reduced the amount of added sugar I eat, about 14 years ago now. Best thing I ever did for myself. And yes, I think it made losing weight easier and it has made it easy to maintain for the last 13 and a half years. Good luck to you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Cutting out the sugar was needed for me to get my arthritis pain under good control. Fish oil and coconut oil helps but cutting the sugar was needed as well.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Cutting out the sugar was needed for me to get my arthritis pain under good control. Fish oil and coconut oil helps but cutting the sugar was needed as well.

Please elaborate on this. Does cutting out sugar really help with arthritis pain? I have osteoarthritis in my spine. Thank you.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - I am curious…if you were sugar free and ate in a calorie surplus would you start losing weight?

Arabian - ignore gale hawkins it is a troll account with a fake profile picture. He is not really the CEO of a software company….
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    No, I still eat sugar and have lost 28 lbs by eating less.
  • jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have reduced addition of refined sugar while preparing my food. Processed food just appear too sweet now. Whether you cut sugar or not is a matter of preference, as long as it fits in your macros.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I eat less sugar because if I eat more, I get cravings and it just makes a vicious circle. If I keep it to a minimum, I get far fewer cravings. Same with processed carbs. It's like they call out to their friends lol.
  • MadamMina
    MadamMina Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am practically 99% sugar free and I never miss it. It took me a while to get used to it, but now candy is just too sweet for me and makes me feel ill.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I eat sugar...had a chocolate s'more sundae last night. No regrets! All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Providing you are hitting your macros, there's no reason why you can't have sugar.
  • MadamMina
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I eat sugar...had a chocolate s'more sundae last night. No regrets! All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. Providing you are hitting your macros, there's no reason why you can't have sugar.

Maybe, maybe not, but some of us just don't want to eat sugar and I don't see a problem with that. After all dieting (lifestyle) is a personal thing, so why eating something we don't like to, just because it fits in the calorie counting or most of the others do? I don't eat sugar, I don't like sugar and I am happy with that :)

• ndj1979
    Options
    MadamMina wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not, but some of us just don't want to eat sugar and I don't see a problem with that. After all dieting (lifestyle) is a personal thing, so why eating something we don't like to, just because it fits in the calorie counting or most of the others do? I don't eat sugar, I don't like sugar and I am happy with that :)

fine don't eat sugar..just don't demonize it as something that is "bad"...it is just food..

and yes, you can eat sugar and lose weight. CICO works for everyone, regardless of sugar consumption < assuming no medical condition.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How can you be eating 99% sugar free? There is sugar in a lot of foods besides the obvious sweets. I am just wondering, not trying to be a smart a**. Does not seem possible.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    How can you be eating 99% sugar free? There is sugar in a lot of foods besides the obvious sweets. I am just wondering, not trying to be a smart a**. Does not seem possible.

because it is not possible..

OP is more than likely saying "added sugar" and not counting "natural sugar" ...because we all know that added sugar makes your fat, but natural sugar speeds up metabolism.
  • MadamMina
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

But you do like sugar, you just decided now that you don't in order to lose weight.

Eh? Since when is someone else capable to tell me what I like or not? Have we ever met? I am sugar free for years already, in fact I never had a sweet tooth.

and to NDJ: it looks to me more like we sugar free people are demonized. Let people decide for themselves what they want and respect that!
  • MadamMina
    Options

I got an autoimmune disease and am not allowed to eat anything processed, the only 'sugar' I get is from that bit of fruit I eat, called fructose, but sugar like refined sugar I don't eat, no! But it looks to me people are very quickly with their prejudices, without knowing a person's story.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

But you do like sugar, you just decided now that you don't in order to lose weight.

Eh? Since when is someone else capable to tell me what I like or not? Have we ever met? I am sugar free for years already, in fact I never had a sweet tooth.

and to NDJ: it looks to me more like we sugar free people are demonized. Let people decide for themselves what they want and respect that!

But you're not really "sugar-free". You eat veggies and possibly fruit, yes?

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I eat very little sugar...it has made a huge difference. I don't get cravings anymore which makes it much easier to eat healthy on a regular basis. I also don't get the energy swings I used to when I ate a lot of sugar and starchy carbs.

I do eat fruit and a LITTLE bit of dark chocolate a few times a week, but that is about it...at least on a regular basis. I will eat sweets on rare occasions...a slice of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving, birthday cake...but I'm talking like once every six or eight weeks.

Weight loss is not even the main reason I cut out most sugar. It does nothing positive to your body and more and more research is showing that sugar is much more dangerous to health than saturated fat is.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I got an autoimmune disease and am not allowed to eat anything processed, the only 'sugar' I get is from that bit of fruit I eat, called fructose, but sugar like refined sugar I don't eat, no! But it looks to me people are very quickly with their prejudices, without knowing a person's story.

so you have a medical condition which would make you different than the average person that does not have said medical condition ..understandable and you probably should restrict sugar.

I believe my first post in this thread said you do not need to avoid sugar unless you have a medical condition ..

and I never demonized 'sugar free' people, I said it was unnecessary and restrictive for weight loss….

Go back and review some of the folks that compare sugar to heroin, and tell me that is not demonizing.