Gluten..

Options
[WARNING: Wear headphones ! Swearing, and sensitive content.

I <3 Onsion

Posting this for more discussion.

Mods / Admins / Niner, I'm aware that you may not like the video, but please contact me if you're going to take it down. This is purely, as I said for discussion and I'd thought that I'd bring a straight edge vegan (Onision) into this.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Without watching the video, I'm just going to point out that, unless you have celiac disease, gluten is not bad for you. To even hint otherwise shows a complete ignorance of the topic.

There's evidence that we've been baking and eating bread for over 30,000 years. If it's bad for us, then we'd have died out long ago.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Without watching the video, I'm just going to point out that, unless you have celiac disease, gluten is not bad for you. To even hint otherwise shows a complete ignorance of the topic.

There's evidence that we've been baking and eating bread for over 30,000 years. If it's bad for us, then we'd have died out long ago.

That's not true. There are other medical conditions that are exacerbated by gluten.
  • Biggirllittledreams
    Biggirllittledreams Posts: 306 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

YES THIS THANK YOU THAT IS ALL. Unless you have a medical condition that makes you unable to consume gluten for medical reasons (Celiac, wheat allergy, etc.) you can consume gluten.

Goodbye.

• Biggirllittledreams
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I think I deserve a medal for actually watching that entire video. Wow.
    Gluten isn't bad. I <3 Gluten. I also do not have celiac or any other intestinal disease, if I did that would be another story since gluten really only affects the people with those diseases.

You deserve a medal for this comment too. ;)<3
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

That's not true. There are other medical conditions that are exacerbated by gluten.

Name one.

• tigersword
    edited December 2014
    Options

Very few, if any. Even the researcher who invented the condition of "gluten sensitivity" retracted his stance and said the condition does not actually exist.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    If no other conditions besides celiac disease affect people if they eat gluten then why do people report less intestinal discomfort who have tested negative for celiac disease but have discomfort eating it?
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Name one.

Crohn's, UC, peptic ulcers
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    [WARNING: Wear headphones ! Swearing, and sensitive content.

I <3 Onsion

Posting this for more discussion.

Mods / Admins / Niner, I'm aware that you may not like the video, but please contact me if you're going to take it down. This is purely, as I said for discussion and I'd thought that I'd bring a straight edge vegan (Onision) into this.

ZZzzzzzzzzzz.... I want my 3:50 minutes back.

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If no other conditions besides celiac disease affect people if they eat gluten then why do people report less intestinal discomfort who have tested negative for celiac disease but have discomfort eating it?

Nocebo.

• tigersword
    Options

For the same reason people get headaches when they're told that the food they're eating contains MSG, even when there actually isn't any MSG in the food. It's mostly psychosomatic.
  • klbrowser
    klbrowser Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Certain autoimmune diseases are linked to wheat sensitvity, such as type 1 diabetes and Sjogren's syndrome. The bottom line is, if you have a clean bill of health and no digestion issues, eat wheat if you like. But if you have a family history of autoimmune disease and/or are symptomatic after eating wheat, then a trial gluten-free diet certainly won't hurt you, especially if you are replacing gluten with fresh fruits and veggies. If after a few weeks you feel better without wheat, stick with it. If not, go back to what you were doing before. I tire of the alarmists on both ends of the spectrum. Wheat is not the devil. And those who chose to be gluten free are not all nut jobs.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...a straight edge vegan...

WTF is a "straight edge vegan"?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    takumaku wrote: »

Name one.

Crohn's, UC, peptic ulcers

I have a GI disease, and I can tell you that all sorts of food can jack up your system just because your body doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It's not limited to gluten, and not everyone with GI diseases are impacted the same way by the same things. Gluten doesn't impact me. With celiac disease it's gluten that is causing the problems, end of story there is nothing else.

From Chron's and Colitis Foundation of America

"Decreasing poorly digestible carbohydrates may decrease symptoms of gas, bloat, cramps, and diarrhea in patients with IBD, but that is not the same thing as decreasing the inflammation, or affecting the disease process. Unlike the gluten-free diet for celiac sprue, which has a well-researched basis, and well-demonstrated track record for affecting the underlying mechanisms at work in the disease process, the SCD (The Specific Carbohydrate Diet ) does not. Bottom line: it may be worth a try (there are plenty of other diets being touted in the marketplace), but do not abandon your conventional treatment, and keep in touch with your doctor."

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    ...a straight edge vegan...

WTF is a "straight edge vegan"?

It must imply that other vegans are potheads or something... that's my guess.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I saw the name "Onision" and knew watching it would be a waste of time.

That's the same guy that thinks it's okay to feed a cat (an obligate carnivore) a vegetarian diet. Doesn't surprise me he knows just as much (as little, rather) about human nutrition.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am actually one of those people who develops inflammation, pain, nausea, and vomiting out both ends (TMI) when I consume wheat/gluten products. I tend to lose too much weight from not getting enough nutrition, not being able to eat, and from my body trying to purge the bad stuff.

In the last couple of years before I discovered what was causing it, my co-workers actually thought I had cancer because I looked so terrible, and was getting worse over time. My doctor ordered me to eliminate gluten, so I did. My official diagnosis is IBS with non-celiac gluten sensitivity. (Except I don't really have IBS anymore now that the gluten is gone.)

Since eliminating gluten, my inflammation markers in my blood tests have dropped dramatically, I'm not anemic, and I no longer get sick after eating. It's been a couple of years now, and I am NOT going back to being sick all the time, like I had been for over a decade. I don't care what the Interwebz and it's many expertz say. They don't have to live on the bathroom floor for hours on end, waiting for the next wave of nausea and vomiting to pass. If you haven't suffered through it, your opinion means nothing to me.

I agree that if you don't have any medical reasons to avoid gluten, you shouldn't bother. It's somewhat inconvenient and it isn't a solution for weight problems. However, I'm not sure why all the hate for people who voluntarily eliminate gluten. There's nothing unhealthy about going gluten free, unless you start eating a lot of high-sugar, high-calorie gluten free processed foods. There are certainly other ways to get whole grains, fiber and vitamins than through wheat products.

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary hate out there for gluten free people. If it's not dangerous, what do you care if someone cuts a food out of their diet? Don't even worry about it.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options

Perhaps because of fermentable carbohydrates (FODMAPS) and not gluten.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I agree that if you don't have any medical reasons to avoid gluten, you shouldn't bother. It's somewhat inconvenient and it isn't a solution for weight problems. However, I'm not sure why all the hate for people who voluntarily eliminate gluten. There's nothing unhealthy about going gluten free, unless you start eating a lot of high-sugar, high-calorie gluten free processed foods. There are certainly other ways to get whole grains, fiber and vitamins than through wheat products.

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary hate out there for gluten free people. If it's not dangerous, what do you care if someone cuts a food out of their diet? Don't even worry about it.

Thank you... the voice of reason. OK moderators...now you can shut this thread down. This is the last rational comment needed here.