Food Advice for College Student

I will be transferring colleges this upcoming semester and will be living in an on-campus apartment. It has microwave, stove, full-size refrigerator, and I'm bringing my slow cooker. I figured I'd go to the grocery store every week. What staples should I buy on my tight budget? Also, what are some recommendations for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    amazon.com/Cooking-Basics-Dummies-Bryan-Miller/dp/0470913886

This will help you with setting up your kitchen.
  • sher6648
    sher6648 Posts: 6 Member
    almonds, fruits,and greek yogurt are always really good for breakfast and snacks. English muffin w/ peanut butter & orange juice is a personal favorite!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Chrissytd wrote: »
    I will be transferring colleges this upcoming semester and will be living in an on-campus apartment. It has microwave, stove, full-size refrigerator, and I'm bringing my slow cooker. I figured I'd go to the grocery store every week. What staples should I buy on my tight budget? Also, what are some recommendations for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks?
    What staples should you buy?

Well, the staples, obviously. With those even a newbie cook can make most things.

Recs for what to make? Make that which you are capable of making. Don't over-reach.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Depending on the budget and how much cooking you will be doing, here are some suggestions to pick from---
    For the fridge butter, eggs, mayo, salad dressing, yogurt, onions, garlic, pickles, tortillas/wraps, string cheese, carrots, lettuce, lemons,
    For the freezer various frozen veggies like green peas, fruit for smoothies, bread, chicken, ground turkey,
    For the cupboard salt, pepper, mustard, cooking oil, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, sugar, spaghetti sauce, dried fruit, oatmeal, tea, peanut butter, tuna, salsa, popcorn,
    Also beans, pasta, rice, nuts, bananas, apples, potatoes, chicken stock,
    You might want these items: blender for protein drinkers, measuring spoons and cups, kitchen scale, colander, mixing bowls, spatular, two saucepans, skillet, toaster, pot holders/ oven mitts, rice cooker, cutting board, can opener, kettle for tea, good knife
    As a college student, beans and lentils are your best friends. They are cheap and easy to cook.
    When you grocery shop, think about planning your foods for the week.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Depending on the budget and how much cooking you will be doing, here are some suggestions to pick from---
    For the fridge butter, eggs, mayo, salad dressing, yogurt, onions, garlic, pickles, tortillas/wraps, string cheese, carrots, lettuce, lemons,
    For the freezer various frozen veggies like green peas, fruit for smoothies, bread, chicken, ground turkey,
    For the cupboard salt, pepper, mustard, cooking oil, soy sauce, vinegar, flour, sugar, spaghetti sauce, dried fruit, oatmeal, tea, peanut butter, tuna, salsa, popcorn,
    Also beans, pasta, rice, nuts, bananas, apples, potatoes, chicken stock,
    You might want these items: blender for protein drinkers, measuring spoons and cups, kitchen scale, colander, mixing bowls, spatular, two saucepans, skillet, toaster, pot holders/ oven mitts, rice cooker, cutting board, can opener, kettle for tea, good knife
    As a college student, beans and lentils are your best friends. They are cheap and easy to cook.
    When you grocery shop, think about planning your foods for the week.
    Excellent advice!
    Also-- if you still live @ home between semesters, look around your parents' kitchen (assuming it's well stocked, & you like how they cook/prepare foods!) & see which items they use a lot (get those), which have been there for months/years (meaning it's used very little, or for specialty items, so skip those), & prepare a basic cookbook for yourself--either buying one or from favorite recipes, & see where the repeats are. Actually, if even if you don't buy a cookbook, the ones geared toward simple meals (ie, 5 main ingredients or less) will often have a list in front that shows what staples to keep on hand. I personally use a lot of tomatoes & beans, so I keep those on hand. I cook italian & mexican, so keep basil, oregano, cumin & chili powder on hand. Personalize a bit to your taste.
    Soup / chilis or the makings for them are good.
    Some kind of bread/tortillas so you can always make a sandwich or wrap.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    You need a blender to make quick smoothies.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    You're going to get the most bang for your buck with eggs -- nutritionally and financially!
  • twinklestar128
    twinklestar128 Posts: 26 Member
    edited December 2014
    Protein shakes for breakfast with fruit. You can get a bag of frozen fruit and also frozen veggies that you can zap in the microwave. Avoid Ramen noodles like the plague. Another good option is getting a rotisserie chicken and cutting it up to put in salads, maybe even soups or to eat with veggies. You can get one for about $5 at the grocery store. There are lots of great slow cooker recipes and budget grocery ideas on Pinterest and the web. Good luck in school and on your health journey. Never give up!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    cook what you know how to cook/enjoy eating. Staples- bread, pasta, canned soup/jarred pasta sauce, rice,russet potatoes(cook in microwave) seasonings...

I always keep salad fixin's, and cheap fruit around.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Store brand of everything.
    It's typically the same quality as the name brand but way cheaper.

Some of the Aldi brand knock offs are gross - their Chewy bars and chocolate cheerios. But I've heard their greek yogurt surpasses Chobani (not difficult ) and is a step below Fage!
    I found store brand version of cranberry juoce to be sad so I splurge on Ocean Spray.

Coupon. Watch the sales. Get the store card if they have them. Compare prices.

Ive found that Market Basket is the cheapest regular grocery store. But Aldi and Pricerite are gpod knockoff stores. Just watch the dates. Stop and Shop is the most expensive (excluding Whole Foods of course). Idk where in the world you are tho.
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Blender could be helpful. Fruits and veggies for those snacks!!
  • 603reader wrote: »
    Store brand of everything.
    It's typically the same quality as the name brand but way cheaper.

Some of the Aldi brand knock offs are gross - their Chewy bars and chocolate cheerios. But I've heard their greek yogurt surpasses Chobani (not difficult ) and is a step below Fage!
    I found store brand version of cranberry juoce to be sad so I splurge on Ocean Spray.

Coupon. Watch the sales. Get the store card if they have them. Compare prices.

Ive found that Market Basket is the cheapest regular grocery store. But Aldi and Pricerite are gpod knockoff stores. Just watch the dates. Stop and Shop is the most expensive (excluding Whole Foods of course). Idk where in the world you are tho.
    I'm in South Florida. Besides Aldi and Whole Foods, there are none of those stores here. I'll probably get most of my groceries from Publix.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Yes, legumes are great! Super nutritious. Add whatever you can to them. I wish I'd spent my college years eating more legumes and less ramen.