New Diet Question

Options
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas!

So I've posted a couple of times in these boards and just had a couple of questions about diet and how everyone does it.

So I've changed workout regimens, and am stopping counting calories completely. That's first. I just can't do it anymore. It makes me sad, and I actually feel like I eat more junk/eat when I don't need to when I count because I feel like Im just trying to hit a number (as my wonderful wife pointed out to me). Needless to say it was wreaking havoc on me and especially her having to deal with me being moody and just outright mean sometimes :/ .

So I guess my concern here is this, having just started out not counting calories I feel like I'm eating wayyyyyy more than I was before, but IDK if that's a bad thing? I was eating around 2700 calls give or take before doing the original Insanity program with added workouts here and there as well.

I am currently hitting INSANITY: MAX 30 (new program, 30 minute HIIT sessions with resistance training as well) 5 days per week, I walk to and from work, take the stairs, etc. I skate on the weekends. All in all I consider myself pretty active.

Current weight: 128 (am now finally open to the idea of putting on some muscle weight)
Current diet: none to speak of

What I'm trying to do now is just kind of make healthier choices and eat when I'm hungry, as I've been doing a lot of reading that says if you're going to engage in high intensity types of exercise regularly, that you actually need to eat MORE sometimes than you think just to make sure you can keep making gains and stave off the fat. It seems more and more like maybe I wasn't waiting ENOUGH at 2700 calls to keep the fat off, as my body was still craving more energy that I wasn't giving it.

Really I just want to find out if anyone has had any similar experiences or advice? I already feel better eating more, but I don't want to overdo it either.

Thanks! and Merry Christmas!
Chuck M.

Replies

• joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    At 128lbs., and want to gain weight/muscle, you need to eat excess calories. I'd put away the junk though, and focus on better choices. Also, I'd do weight training opposed to HIIT cardio for muscle building.

Train, eat, TRACK and tweak as you see fit. Trust me, you sound like you're just making excuses for not tracking your foods. It's quick and easy. You say you don't want to "overdo it," yet you don't even know what your daily calorie intake is.

Consistency will result in progress.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above...
    The reason you were moody was because you weren't eating enough and then you get irritable and a pain in the *kitten* to deal with...I'm like this as well.
    How tall are you? 128lb is really low for a guy.
    To put on mass, you need to eat in a excess, but try to focus on healthy options so you don't put on all fat. Hit the weights. HIIT is great, but more for when you are trying to lose weight and build muscle some muscle at the same time. Your route is just to add muscle, do as minimal cardio as possible at this point.
  • RoadieKill104
    RoadieKill104 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    5 9" 128 lbs. pretty light I know but not as lean as Id like to be. Really I'd like to add some muscle and trim fat, going for a more athletic look
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    derekj222 wrote: »
    Agree with the above...
    The reason you were moody was because you weren't eating enough and then you get irritable and a pain in the *kitten* to deal with...I'm like this as well.
    How tall are you? 128lb is really low for a guy.
    To put on mass, you need to eat in a excess, but try to focus on healthy options so you don't put on all fat. Hit the weights. HIIT is great, but more for when you are trying to lose weight and build muscle some muscle at the same time. Your route is just to add muscle, do as minimal cardio as possible at this point.

Excess calories while bulking will lead to fat gain - plain and simple. Food choices will not determine the amount of fat you put on. The amount of caloric surplus over maintenance will determine rate of fat gain. "Healthy options" won't magically make you gain less fat compared to any other food choice with the same caloric intake.

Unless you are a newbie, it's close to impossible to build muscle and lose weight at the same time. Even with newbie gains, this doesn't last long. Cardio only increases the amount of calories needed to bulk - it doesn't erase muscle gains.