Crying during exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Not cried but have had a rush of emotions on odd occasions. Shbam does it to me and near the end I get the urge to grin like a Cheshire cat and even giggle.I look most strange lol. First time I ran for twenty mins without stopping I was close to crying with joy
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I finished my first marathon I broke down afterwards. All that emotion, all that pain and struggle, it had to come out :D
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have. There was a time I physically could not endure the fitness I am into now. Sometimes it's overwhelming to be doing something that I could not do.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Failure to pull the same weight I PRed on last week, makes me angry, sometimes so angry I could cry. Being The Chick on the weight side surrounded by bros...I don't cry. Gotta represent. (True story.)

Crossing the finish line in the Spartan Super...oh yeah. Tears for sure. No shame.
  • griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Yep, on long runs. :)
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yep. Shaun T Max Cardio Circuit...first time I completed it, I collapsed in a ball of tears and joy and exhaustion and WTF feelings...it's happened when I've weight trained EXTREMELY heavy also...
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    When I finished the 20-min run of C25K W5D3 I just stood there and howled with tears streaming down my face. That was the first time I cried during exercise.

Then there have been a few more times when I've had thoughts of quite emotional nature (tidal wave of anger, frustration, disappointment and sadness in one glorious mix) that make me so short of breath I have to stop moving entirely and just fold myself double to get some air. It is overwhelming to just stand there and hope nobody walks past you when you not only have lost composure completely, but also cry like it is the end of the world whilst gasping for oxygen. I never air my dirty laundry in public normally and it is new to me to deal with emotions through physical rather than psychological work.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    No. I am usually pretty focused on whatever I'm doing. (not that I don't cry, just never have while working out)

If you're crying because something about your workout is somehow triggering strong memories, or you're thinking about an accomplishment after a long time of not accomplishing things, or if you've always had strong emotional reactions to physiological arousal, or you're in pain, that's one (or several) thing/s. Those make sense.

If you are randomly crying and have never done this before taking this BCP, it's something to take up with your doctor imo.
  • AmberAntoine
    Options
    No, it has not happened to me ever, but I read and see it happens to most of the peoples.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I cry at Crossfit on a regular basis and know I'm not the only one who has done it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I love it when I cry after exercising - I think it means I've reached a meeting of my mind and soul.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    If you are randomly crying and have never done this before taking this BCP, it's something to take up with your doctor imo.
    +1

• CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yes. I just considered it emotional release.
    If you're like me and bottle things a lot, it's bound to come out when you're self reflecting.
    Whether you mean to be self reflecting or not. :p
  • iamworthy14
    iamworthy14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    YoungDoc2B wrote: »
    The first time I did a back bend in yoga I cried because I was so proud of myself. Other than that, I don't remember crying while working out. And EVERYTHING makes me cry: music, commercials, frosting.....

Maybe it was adrenaline or something? You mentioned BC. Did you just switch BC?

Wait...how/why does frosting make you cry? Its so delicious. ONLY if it's buttercream, that is.
    I 2nd the buttercream..thats happy tears right there:-)

I think its normal to be emotional...,.ur pushing your body doing things you haven't. I almost started hyperventilating as I crossed the finish line at my first marathon. Bravo to your accomplishments!cant stop don't stop wont stop!!!
  • AglaeaC
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    No. I am usually pretty focused on whatever I'm doing. (not that I don't cry, just never have while working out)

If you're crying because something about your workout is somehow triggering strong memories, or you're thinking about an accomplishment after a long time of not accomplishing things, or if you've always had strong emotional reactions to physiological arousal, or you're in pain, that's one (or several) thing/s. Those make sense.

Yes and no.

If it seems like there could be a link between BCPs and crying, do talk with the gynecologist. If no immediate link is there, just keep observing.

We are only beginning to understand the connection between mind and body, and for instance yoga therapy mainly happens due to what others before us have observed as working or not. Scientific research is only waking up to this way of viewing the existence as human being, whereas the practical experience-based tradition spans through millennia.
  • AglaeaC
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I love it when I cry after exercising - I think it means I've reached a meeting of my mind and soul.

Indeed. I would say mind, body, and soul though.