FitBit vs. Heart Rate Monitors

Options
I went through this same debate last year and ended up not getting anything but new running shoes....
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a fitbit flex, heart rate monitor, or nothing at all. I want something that monitors my daily activity, but also helps me know how many calories I've burning during my work outs. I do beachbody work outs like T25, PiYo, Insanity, and I just got Max 30. I want to know how I'm doing during my exercise and if I'm burning a decent amount of calories. I hate the idea of using a chest strap and don't feel like an HRM would do anything for me EXCEPT when I'm working out. I'm technically not trying to lose weight anymore (I have some holiday lbs I need to take off), I'm trying to continue to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Just not sure which is the right option for me.

Replies

• SingingTiff
    SingingTiff Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    From the research that I have done they both have benefits depending on what you want to use them for. The fitbit will monitor not only your steps and actives it also monitors your sleep. I wanted that function personally because I work 12 hour night shifts and I don't have set days of the week that I work. Sleep has a lot to do with stress management, weight loss and maintenance. Having a heart rate monitor will provided you with better information about the work you have done during your workout, so when you do things like weight lifting, spin, or yoga it will give you the information on those exercises, the Flex does not give you information as accurately when your not moving the arm that it is on. If you wait just a little while fitbit is coming out with the CHARGE HR that will monitor your activity and heart rate. I currently have a fitbit and I am still excited about the Charge HR.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    My husband bought me a Polar FT7 which is a heart rate monitor. I tracks heart rate, calorie, and active minutes, but not steps.I was already using a Sportline pedometer that tracked steps, calories burned, and active minutes, but I wanted to be able to track strength training and yoga. I wanted an electronic device that did both, but that was out of our price point.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Do all heart rate monitors require the chest strap?
  • joneallen
    joneallen Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    The new FitBit Charge HR is a good option when released.

https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    melissaka7 wrote: »
    Do all heart rate monitors require the chest strap?

Mine does. I wore it all day today, but did my workout and then just hung out in sweats and did housework. I don't know if I'd wear it all the time, to work and such, under work clothes or anything clingy because of that. I really didn't research the product -- hubby just got it for me. I don't have any heart issues, so I don't think there's a need for me to wear it all the time. I was surprised what a stable heart rate I have, kind of an interesting experience.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The Fitbit Charge HR was released in limited numbers early and Amazon has a few user reviews for it already. http://www.amazon.com/Fitbit-Charge-Wireless-Activity-Wristband/dp/B00N2BW2PK/
    also more in depth discussion on Fitbit's official forums page
    https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/bd-p/chargeHR

Another option is the Mio Fuse.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mio-59P-LRG-Heart-Training-Medium/dp/B00MYK59TQ/
    Thorough review from DC Rainmaker's website
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/fuse-depth-review.html

The Mio Fuse doesn't track sleep or flights of stairs though Mio has stated they may add that function in a future update.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Given the type of training that you describe an HRM wouldn't give you a meaningful calorie estimation.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's a need for me to wear it all the time

That's not what they're intended for.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Activity trackers (like Fitbit or Jawbone UP) show you your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure)—way more accurately than any online calculator. When you connect your accounts, MFP uses your tracker burn rather than your activity level to calculate your daily calorie goal.

They're also very motivating. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar M400. It's a combination HRM and activity tracker with built in GPS.
    It downloads and charges with a USB connection and includes access to the Polar Flow app
    It tracks your overall activity, distance covered walking, running, or biking. It breaks your cardio exercise into 5 levels of intensity base on percentage of maximum heart rate. It also sets an activity goal for you to reach on a daily basis. It comes with a blue tooth enabled
    chest strap but will track your activity without it. It currently syncs via bluetooth with I phones but the android app is still under development. It seems to give an approximately accurate of caloric expenditure based on my weight and activity level

It's not cheap, the list price is $260 and is available online for 230 but I think it's worth every penny