anyone have any good recipes for beets?

Options
Kwilliams75
Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
My friend has mono and she read that beets boost your immune system and she is looking for good recipes for beets! Thanks you guys and gals are the best!:happy:

Replies

• mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Try....www.3fatchicks.com....I just got a Chunky Chicken Chili one off of there and it sounds so yummy...I can' wait to make it :)
  • redkar1
    redkar1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I haven't found anything I like either. The ONLY way I've used them is in my juicer.
  • Kwilliams75
    Kwilliams75 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/in-season/in-season-beets-00400000001840/

I found this site the recipes look interesting!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    My grandmother's recipe. Drain the juice from a can of beets and put the juice in a small pot. Add a dash of salt, 1/2 cup vinegar and 1/4 C sugar. Cook / stirring constantly until the sugar is melted. Add the sliced beets back to the juice. Put in fridge and chill until cold. Delicious pickled beets. Yes, there is some sugar, but overall they are pretty healthy. Most of the sugar stays in the juice, which you dont eat anyway.
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like beets so I just roast fresh ones and eat them as-is. Try salt roasting. You just take a pan, fill the bottom with salt and nestle the beets in it. Keep the skins on and don't even really worry about cleaning them off too much. The salt draws out their excess moisture so they're not slimy but also not salty! When you can stick a fork in them, take them out of the oven and the skins pull off easily. I think that they also retain all their nutrients this way as well.
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    I love this salad, so good, but I tweek it a bit for me.

Sweet Pecan Apple Salad

1 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tsp butter
    1/3 cup pecan halves
    3 tbsp oil
    5 tsp cider vinegar
    1 can (14.5 oz) sliced beets, drained
    1 medium golden delicious apple, cored and diced

1. Melt sugar and butter in skillet; add pecans. Cook and stir over low heat 3-4 minutes until caramel colored; cool.

2. Combine oil and vinegar; toss with beets and apple. Add pecans just before serving and serve oer lettuce, if desired.

Great with chicken or ham.

NOTE: The color of the beets will bleed onto the apple.
  • goodandfaithfulservant
    Options
    I open a can of beets, drain them, slice up some red onions super thin, drizzle on red vinegar, trivia (or any non calorie sweetener that you like), a little salt and pepper... stir and you have a nice beet salad. They are yummy and hardly any calories. I sometimes eat the whole can. Hahaha
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Beet and goat cheese salad

http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/beet-and-goat-cheese-hearts-151429/

I found this around Valentine's Day, it looks super cute and yummy! Although I haven't made it yet. Of course, you don't need to make it in heart shape :wink:
  • goodandfaithfulservant
    Options
    I started using fresh beets with this same recipe and they are so much better than cooked ones. Nice and crunchy. Yumm
  • robynswallow
    Options
    Baby Beetroot Salad

1 Can of Whole Baby Beetroot (450g)
    1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
    3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
    1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
    3/4 cup low fat feta (crumbled or cubed)
    Season with salt & pepper

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve & Bon Apetite !!!

Serves 4
    185 cal per serve