Women's jeans

Options
Wasn't sure where to post this. I'm trying (in vain?) to find women's jeans that fit. I run and I lift so my quads are large but I have a 29 inch waist. What fits in the waist won't fit in the legs and vice versa. Suggestions? And I'm irked with Barbell Apparel so we won't even go there.

Replies

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I used to have really strange measurements (I was pear shaped with a small waist and large hips/butt.) I used to find a pair I really liked the hip fit of and take them to a tailor to have them taken in the places where they were too big. There are sites online that make jeans to your measurements, I was happy with the pair I purchased from makeyourownjeans.com but look around there are a few others.

My only solution lately has been stretchy jeans with a belt that end up sagging during the day. I felt so much better when I was wearing jeans that actually fit my body. I plan to buy more made to size jeans as a goal weight victory.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    American Eagle's super stretch jeggings might work for you. But honestly, getting a pair of jeans that fit your bum and then having the waist fitted by a tailor is the best way.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I also have large quads, my favorite now are high waisted skinny jeans with spandex. Anything with some stretch is good and the higher waist keeps them from sagging.
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There is a company called Beija Flor that has good reviews. I think most of their jeans have nice stretch in them, so you might be able to find a pair that stretch enough for your quads, but still fit nicely at the waist. Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I gave up and I just deal with saggy sad looking jeans. It's easier than the anxiety I get from actually shopping/wearing "well fit" jeans.
  • ArchyRunner
    ArchyRunner Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    On a whim I just did my measurements. 29" waist and 23" thigh. I don't think my thighs are big. What are other women doing (besides not lifting) that would make them scrawny enough for these jeans??? Maybe tailored is the way to go, how hard is it to tailor the waist?
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.

I'm size uk 10 in the waist, but actual jeans won't fit around my calves. I've resorted to the option of buying size 10 decent jeggings, such as those from River Island. These very much look like jeans and are very stretchy so are ideal.

Otherwise, if I want to buy actual jeans, I have to get a size 12 and just tighten around the waist with a belt.
  • AmberAntoine
    Options
    You should look for jeggings or some stylish slacks and legs, which look like jeans.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I agree with jeggings. I liked Victoria Secret jeans, but not I just wear jeggings.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I find the Curvy Fit styles from Denver Hayes at Mark's are cut a bit bigger through the thighs than other brands. Not the most glamorous of jeans, but better than having to pull up my pants every 5 minutes because the waist is too big. They have a decent looking black skinny jean.

http://www.marks.com/shop/en/marks-marksdefaultsalescatalog/ladies/bottoms/ladies-denim

2nd skin yoga jeans are a bit bigger in the legs than most brands I've tried as well. And super comfortable without feeling as clingy as jeggings.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My favorite pants are from Athleta - Slim Up style - legging type with an unfitted ankle that has some extra length. They came in petite and are perfect length.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Wear a belt. Thats what I do
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I spend the money having the extra taken out of the waist.
    603reader wrote: »

It works for me until I end up with a 6" wad of denim gouging into my spine. :P Now I just fork over $25 and have my jeans tailored. The waist is slightly baggy, but the denim fold is only an inch.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    On a whim I just did my measurements. 29" waist and 23" thigh. I don't think my thighs are big. What are other women doing (besides not lifting) that would make them scrawny enough for these jeans??? Maybe tailored is the way to go, how hard is it to tailor the waist?

I don't know what it would be in your area, but I wouldn't expect anything over $30 for it could be as low as $15. I would look for a small tailor or dry cleaner that does alterations tucked in a stripmall or a side street that doesn't do a lot of advertising, you can get a better deal because most of them keep prices competitive and rely on repeat business. Avoid large bridal alteration shops (Those places love to charge out the wang and take weeks or months because people don't really know what to expect.) My jeans were usually finished in a day or two depending on how many orders were ahead.

• hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Is that your mid-thigh or upper thigh? My measurements as of last week are 26 waist, 29 abdomen, 37 butt (area of furthest projection from the side), 40 hip (saddlebag area), 24 upper thigh, 20.5 midthigh, 14.5 calf. I usually have rear waistband gap issues since I have a bubble butt and my waist size puts me a size smaller than my thigh size. Express, Seven, and American Eagle seem to work well for me. Look for jeans that have a "relaxed fit" in the thigh (v slim fit) and a slight stretch. I usually get a "curvy" bootcut or straight leg.

Belts don't work for me because then the projection of my backside pulls them into my abdomen and really I can only consider curved belts which are harder to find. Straight belts end up creasing and breaking (leather) and a stretchy fabric belt is pointless.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/category_products.jsp?catId=cat1930004 They don't look so baggy and relaxed on me lol

Oh I almost forgot about Levi's 529
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    This is why I only buy NYDJ... they have a small percentage of stretch in them but are mostly cotton. When I was younger I wore Lee's Relaxed Fit. I have had excellent luck with the Gloria Vanderbuilt Jeans at Costco as well.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I completely forgot about Lucky Brand. Try on different styles. Awesome jeans!
  • hazleyes81
    Options
    Awe yes! Lucky brand is good as well.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I spend the money having the extra taken out of the waist.
    603reader wrote: »

It works for me until I end up with a 6" wad of denim gouging into my spine. :P Now I just fork over $25 and have my jeans tailored. The waist is slightly baggy, but the denim fold is only an inch.

I wear Express and Old Navy jeans without too much extra fabric. And Gap on occasion.

The cost of the Express jeans made me weep inside when I bought them but ive had them for almost a year and a half and wear them almost exclusively and they're holding up very well.
  • hazleyes81
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've never bought Express jeans at Express. I always get them from Marshalls/TJ Maxx for maybe $10-15 :smiley: