Cheat day problem

Options
Hello
Every weak I have a cheat day. But what happens is that the following day becomes a disaster; I keep feeling addiction signs such as the need to for carbs to feel better. I don't wanna talk to anyone until I have my shot of carbs. It happened today and I was amazed how different I dealt with my family members after I ate what I wanted. This doesn't happen throughout the week. I'm OK with the low calorie diet I follow.
I thought of having 2 cheat days every two weeks. I also thought of eliminating cheat days from my diet, since if I had two days, the addiction signs may as well appear on the third day.
What do you think?
I am 116 kg - 164 cm - I follow a 1200 -1300 Plan and I am sedentary.

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I think if you have identified cheat days as a problem, then not having cheat days seems like a sensible plan. Have you tried the cheat MEAL model vs a whole DAY of cheats? Have you tried the "I don't need to set a specific day for "cheating" because I fit small treats into my daily plan" model? Both are possible solutions as well. I try to practice having ALL the foods I want in moderation - I don't deliberately avoid or eliminate anything as a possibility for my diet unless I just don't like it. Two squares of chocolate; one to two servings of chips. It works well for me most of the time.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hi, I read two types of usage of "cheat day" here, one which is quite neutral and simply means the writer won't care that much about what goes in on that particular day, and the other which has problems or is close to developing problems due to applying the concept.

I fear your OP might belong to the second group, because it sounds like you try to stay in control, yet it doesn't quite work. And it's almost like there's a short road only to real disaster somehow (but only based on your own words).

Do you feel neutral about food? I thought I'd ask before possibly jumping to conclusions. If you do so, I might try to drop the whole concept of "cheating" and instead look at what it is you eat on the days you've "cheated" so far, then work into a normal weekly eating schedule what you like. Moderation like Phrick said.

Because right now it's like you're on pins and needles until your "cheat day" comes up, then fighting not to lose it completely either on the day or because of its consequences the next day.

If you're relaxed about food, and feel you're not deprived, no food will become a trigger nor will you catch yourself thinking about it in odd situations when your thoughts should be occupied by something else entirely. It's just something nice on an ordinary day and you've baked it into your daily allowance.

When things spin out of control, it usually means that there are some kinds of stressors and/or problems elsewhere, so I'd go to the root of them, eliminate them, and do my best not to use food as medication or such. Moderation should be possible. Would you be willing to try another approach than "cheat day"? Good luck!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you havent thought it through and you are continually going to stall binge or give up. I would look at the rationale for having cheat days and how they undermine your efforts. Why not open your diary? How much do you eat on the cheat days, so you track it?
    Are you logging and weighing all your food? Are you doing any exercise? Why do you need a cheat day? I think the cheat day is more a sign you arent willing to commit or at least sends yourself a mixed messages and what you have is a part time diet.

By all means treat yourself occasionally if you have earned it or need a break, but regular cheat days undermine the hard work you do and prevent progress, especially if you give yourself licence to go mad.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    it might be that since you are not active that following a low cal plan does not give you what you need. I follow 1200-1300 but am active. I take a cheat day but only feel like I need it once/maybe twice a month. I also am able to eat the extra calories earned from exercise.
    Exercise doesn't have to be the gym. It can be as simple as going to the grocery store and instead of parking close, park in the farthest parking spot. Or take the stairs over an elevator or escalator. Start there. Push yourself a little further each week.
  • ASG_21
    ASG_21 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    All of what AglaeaC said, but I also want to add this in: 1200-1300 calories is a very small amount of calories for your current weight and height. I am 170 cm, weigh 62 kg (136 pounds) and eat 1400 as my deficit (I'm commenting from my husband's account, though). Maybe one of the reasons you're having so much trouble with control is that you're simply not eating enough on regular days.

However, I do understand what you mean. I don't incorporate cheat days, but when I overindulge on special occasions (my birthday, for example) and really overdo it, I struggle to get back on track the next day. For me, it's simply an issue with moderation (I struggle with an all or nothing mentality and I'm really trying to work on it right now, as I'm worried that it will affect my long-term success if I can't learn to indulge in moderation) and I have to force my way back on track, but I'm not sure if it's the same for you.

Whatever the case may be, all the best to you, and I hope you find what works best for you! I do work in small treats in my daily goal at least once a week, and I find that it helps keep the "craving monster" at bay, whereas cheat days make the monster grow into a... Well, a bigger monster! ;)
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Cheat Days are a problem for me as well. I refuse to include those days. Why? 1) Next Day is a big problem, then it turns to Cheat Day(s) 2) Just like a marriage you can't expect it to work if you're cheating 3) I am not really working on my bad habits if I am allowing 1 bad day a week. My bad habits won't vanish if I keep bringing them up once weekly.

Cheat Days work for some and for others it doesn't. Not having cheat days is not you depriving yourself. When you know that you want something that is high in calories, just workout a little bit harder or make that "cheat day" a workout day too. So that way you're having the best of both worlds.
  • Monna2
    Monna2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys
    I guess you're right..cheat days may not be a good option.
    I'm thinking of following something similar to the weight watchers method of having weekly points or calories that you can spend.
    So I still try to follow my daily calorie intake and I can add 1500 weekly calories that I can spend any time throughout the week. I think this is much better than just having one cheat day.
    And yes, I am trying to move more.
  • Monna2
    Options
    "My bad habits won't vanish if I keep bringing them up once weekly. "

Well said, Karina.
    I was just thinking about that today, but I couldn't put it in the right words. I felt that why am I not getting used to my diet?? It's been almost three weeks now since I started. And the answer is what you said: I keep confusing my mind and body by bringing up the bad habits on a regular weekly basis.
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    stop thinking of it as a diet. It's a lifestyle change and possibly a permanent change that will require a lot of willpower

cheat days are dangerous for some, try your best to fit whatever you want to eat ( within reason ) into your macros and calories iifym

that way you are less likely to want to binge , cheat or get cravings.

it works for some, maybe worth a try but it seems you have identified the problem and want to sort it out

good luck
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Monna2 wrote: »
    "My bad habits won't vanish if I keep bringing them up once weekly. "

Well said, Karina.
    I was just thinking about that today, but I couldn't put it in the right words. I felt that why am I not getting used to my diet?? It's been almost three weeks now since I started. And the answer is what you said: I keep confusing my mind and body by bringing up the bad habits on a regular weekly basis.

Picture your life the way you perceive healthy, fit, and strong. A "diet" will merely bring you to a particular weight, but said target weight won't ever be easy to maintain for potentially the rest of your life, unless everything around it acts like a support.

The weight is merely the ultimate sign of how you're doing, roughly put (actually body-fat percentage would be more accurate in this context, but you get my point), in all the supporting areas; how you're eating, how you're training, how you're sleeping and keeping mental balance. When everything is fine, your body will look fine on the outside, too.

So when you embark on this journey, you need to be clear about where you are right now (what your current habits are) and where you want to be (what the new habits to be created should be, and which of the old need to go).

If you only focus on what the scale tells you, it will be a "diet", but if you figure out what you've done well so far and where there's room for improvement still, then proceed to "fix" what isn't working, and keep going down that road, you can call it a lifestyle change.

Once you've created a new lifestyle, your target weight will happen automatically due to all the supporting habits being in place. In other words, if you eat like you've learned to eat, in balance and with moderation, if you exercise regularly and do some form of strength training, if you sleep well and take care of your mental health, your weight will be where it needs to be.
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a sedentary, 30 yo. I weight ~80kg, and I found it much, much easier to stick with the plan when I raised my calories from 1200 to 1380. I eat sweets on most days and still remain below the limit. In the last month I lost ~5kg. I guess my cheat day would be to go to the buffet where I can't accurately track what I eat, but I haven't done it since I started MFP. The reason I wanted to limit my calories so low was because I felt guilty for being obese and I felt like I needed to suffer to lose weight. But then I decided that slower weight loss is better than no loss at all. I'll get there when I get there. I don'tknow how, but those 200 cal made a HUGE difference for me. Good luck, and feel free to add me for mutual support!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You didnt really bother to answer the importnat questions.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

Picture your life the way you perceive healthy, fit, and strong. A "diet" will merely bring you to a particular weight, but said target weight won't ever be easy to maintain for potentially the rest of your life, unless everything around it acts like a support.

The weight is merely the ultimate sign of how you're doing, roughly put (actually body-fat percentage would be more accurate in this context, but you get my point), in all the supporting areas; how you're eating, how you're training, how you're sleeping and keeping mental balance. When everything is fine, your body will look fine on the outside, too.

So when you embark on this journey, you need to be clear about where you are right now (what your current habits are) and where you want to be (what the new habits to be created should be, and which of the old need to go).

If you only focus on what the scale tells you, it will be a "diet", but if you figure out what you've done well so far and where there's room for improvement still, then proceed to "fix" what isn't working, and keep going down that road, you can call it a lifestyle change.

Once you've created a new lifestyle, your target weight will happen automatically due to all the supporting habits being in place. In other words, if you eat like you've learned to eat, in balance and with moderation, if you exercise regularly and do some form of strength training, if you sleep well and take care of your mental health, your weight will be where it needs to be.
    One of the best posts I've ever read on MFP :)

• AglaeaC
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

Relax, many roads lead to Rome, not just one. She might not want to reply to your questions, or she might. Don't make this about your needs.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    sbarella wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »

One of the best posts I've ever read on MFP :)

Um, thanks for making me blush.
  • Monna2
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

I didn't mean to ignore your post. I wrote a "thank you" for every one who posted.
    The reason I didn't answer the questions you mentioned is that first: I don't have a diary as the foods we eat in my country and the quanities are quite different from the foods registered in MFP, so it will be difficult for me to log all the foods.
    Second, I understood what's behind the questions, and I contemplated them.
    Thank you for replying to my post.
  • Monna2
    Options
    Thanks a ton, everyone. Your answers are really inspiring.
    I'm grateful that I found this website. ^_^
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "Every weak I have a cheat day. But what happens is that the following day becomes a disaster"

cheat = disaster

don't think of food as good vs bad. everything in moderation then no need for a cheat day.
  • Atrocity108
    Atrocity108 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day every Sunday. I dont care what goes in my body, and I am having fun with my kids and family.

However, this works for me. It keeps me from loosing my mind and denying myself foody pleasures. This is my normal and my body is ok with it.

The best advise I can give is that you have to listen to your body. Do what feels right. This usually involves some trial and error before you get everything back to normal.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I just put your calories into the Scooby Workshop Calculator - at your age, height & weight at entirely sedentary, the MINIMUM you should be eating is 1932. I would not eat below that to remain healthy for long term. You will still lose weight if you eat this much but it will keep you from binge eating or feeling like you are depriving yourself. And you'll learn how to eat for life a lot better.