Best shoes for various cardio, strength training, some running?

Options
My workout shoes are looking sad, and don't have much "bounce" left. I've been looking for a new pair. Here's what I do:
Strength training: dumbbells, machines, bodyweight exercises (lunges, squats, jump squats, burpees, etc.)
Cardio: Zumba, kickboxing class, treadmill (incline), stairmaster
I plan to complete C25K now that an injury has healed.

What kind of shoes would you recommend? Is there a specific style I should look for, or just any "training" shoes?

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest to go get fitted for running shoes especially since you will soon start running. Everyone's feet are different. It is expensive but really makes a world of difference.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For strength training, you probably want lower-profile shoes that give your feet some support but let you feel the ground and feel your body relating to the ground.

For running especially, since you've had an injury, get special shoes. What was the injury?
  • DAHBEAST919
    Options
    I use the fox motion elite for HIIT, strength, agility, and cycling training, and I use the fox featherlite for running long distances and cross country. I can tell you honestly they both really comfortable and light but for you I would go with the motion elite. Check them out at the store or on amazon some places you can find them at a better price.
    http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Training-Collection/category/cat730027?mode=1&categoryNavIds=cat660002:cat660006:cat730027
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Go to a good sports footwear store and get advice. A cross-trainer might be a better option for Zumba and kickboxing. If you are only doing running, then a runner style will do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    azwen wrote: »
    Strength training: dumbbells, machines, bodyweight exercises (lunges, squats, jump squats, burpees, etc.)

Personally I'd go for two pairs; running and a generic non cushioned training shoe.

That's mainly as a means of mitigating running injury risk.

I circulate three pairs of road shoes to minimise transition effects as well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Personally I'd go for two pairs; running and a generic non cushioned training shoe.

That's mainly as a means of mitigating running injury risk.

I circulate three pairs of road shoes to minimise transition effects as well.

I agree. The budget hit hurts a little, but if you are planning on doing any notable amount of running, you really will do best with "running" shoes. But running shoes suck for anything other than running or walking, so you need some cross trainers as well.
  • azwen
    azwen Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hmm. That's what I was wondering. I think for now, I will get a pair of cross trainers. When I finish C25K, if I want to do more running, I will get a pair of running shoes. (I have never enjoyed running, but my husband would love for me to run a 5K with him, so I decided to at least give C25K a chance, to give us an activity we can do together.) Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into those. Any more advice?
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    for weights/lifting i love the new balance minimus
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I actually have 5 types of shoes: Running, cross-trainers, Dance aerobic, pool sandals and ballet slippers.

The hardest to find are real cross-trainers. I am forever asking for ones that have the circle on the ball of the food so that I can switch directions easily.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be doing any major running I recommend a running shoe...for which you only use that shoe for that purpose. I would recommend getting fitted for these at a running store so that they can analyze your gate and determine your pronation and provide you with the proper shoe.

For all of your other stuff, I would think a basic minimalist type shoe would be fine...or a crossfit type shoe like the Reebok Nano. If you're just going to run a little here and there, the Nano is decent for that...but I wouldn't want to be putting in a lot of miles.
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    ^^ yes, the Nano's are excellent too.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Hmm. That's what I was wondering. I think for now, I will get a pair of cross trainers. When I finish C25K, if I want to do more running, I will get a pair of running shoes. (I have never enjoyed running, but my husband would love for me to run a 5K with him, so I decided to at least give C25K a chance, to give us an activity we can do together.) Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into those. Any more advice?

Get running shoes anyway.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @ Azwen
    I must agree with the general comments of multiple people after my own experience.
    Get 2 sets of shoes - A set of specialty Running shoes and a generic Cross Fit Trainer.

Swimming is my normal major exercise but they were doing a major maintenance rebuild so the pool was going to be closed for at least a month maybe two. So I took up the C25K program - using my generic trainers. What a painful frustrating experience - feet hurt - toes hurt - you name it and it hurt.
    Went to sports store and did a gait analysis and then tried on at least 8 pairs of shoes across different brands before settling on a pair. They even let me run on the treadmill with the shoes I was trying on.
    My running took off. I broke the general plan of C25K in that I went from a painful 1 km to a comfortable 2 km and in 2 weeks time I knocked off my first 5 km ( ~ 45 mins - but it was 5 km ). Invest in the good Running shoes now and it will pay off. In the end if you drop running they are still there as a good power walking shoe so you will use them.
    Now is a good time to look at shoes with all the 2 for 1 sales you can pick up a spare pairs of crosstrainers.
    After reading the comment of MeanderingMammal where he said "I circulate three pairs of road shoes to minimise transition effects as well" this is something that I will do so off to the store to buy more shoes.
  • lauradb76
    lauradb76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think of the nike flyknit?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Get special running shoes. I have olympic lifting shoes for certain types of weightlifting but I deadlift and squat in Converse. However, I also do Crossfit and have found Reebok Nanos are straight awesome for all kinds of mixed format workouts. They are worth it. I didn't think they would be and waited a year to get on the bandwagon.

I got a good shoe (Saucony) specifically for my trail running last fall and wow, what a world of difference over cheap ill-fitting "running" shoes!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    lauradb76 wrote: »
    What does everyone think of the nike flyknit?

They're my everyday gym shoe, and I'm happy with them for that, but there's no way I would ever recommend them for a beginner runner. They are a minimalist shoe and offer very little by means of support and cushion. I run in Brooks Glycerin 12.

I second the others: you need two pairs of shoes. If you don't get a running shoe—even just for C25K—you might as well not start running.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    five fingers.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

I like your conclusion, 603. Might as well end the thread.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I can't tell of you're being sarcastic or not.

Even with C25K I believe running shoes are important. I'm an injured runner and part of it is probably from the wrong shoes when I started out. Yeah running shoes are expensive but physical therapy is more. Hit my deductible in late February and exhausted my FSA by May due to PT. The right shoes are 100-150$. A PT session prior to hitting your deductible was 90$.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »

I can't tell of you're being sarcastic or not.

Even with C25K I believe running shoes are important. I'm an injured runner and part of it is probably from the wrong shoes when I started out. Yeah running shoes are expensive but physical therapy is more. Hit my deductible in late February and exhausted my FSA by May due to PT. The right shoes are 100-150$. A PT session prior to hitting your deductible was 90$.

Nah, I think she was agreeing with you. Or I hope she was—because you're right.