Uses for Coconut Oil

Options
I read a lot of stuff about how coconut oil helps you loss weight so, I decided to try it. As soon as I bought it I came home and tried to eat a spoonful of it and could not bring myself to do it. Now my question is for you, if I mix the coconut oil with for example yogurt and granola would it still have the same effect on my weight loss?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    You don't want to just eat it straight!!!

Use it in place of other oils in your diet, such as in baking and cooking.(Like instead of butter and lard and shortening.) It isn't going to help you lose weight all by itself. It has lots of calories, fat and saturated fat.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    In other news, it's great for the skin and hair (to rub it on, not necessarily by eating it......) !!
  • porksiopao
    porksiopao Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, coconut oil is loaded with saturated fat, not really a good oil type for everyday use.
  • thisisabbie
    thisisabbie Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Here's some great info on the many benefits and amazing uses of coconut oil!

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-oils/organic-coconut-oil/health-benefits-of-coconut-oil.html

I can't wait for mine to arrive so I can try it all out!
  • danyelle67
    danyelle67 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I heard alot of good things about coconut oil and weight loss. Let me know how you make out with it...Does it taste real bad, I like coconut so I would asume it tastes like coconut. Does it??? Keep me posted!!! And I would love to read your food diary wow you lost weight and didn't have much to lose. Way to go............
  • NanRunsOnPaleo
    NanRunsOnPaleo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Um coconut oil is EXTREMELY good for you. VERY GOOD fats.. You can use it in cooking as you would with any other oil. I prefer organic virgin coconut oil which is for medium heat. It is unrefined and it had a nice coconut taste if you like coconut. The refined regular coconut oil is for high heat and is neutral in flavor.
  • lcjensen83
    lcjensen83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, in 1 tablespoon there is 11.7 grams of saturated fat (there's only 7.2 grams in 1 tablespoon of butter). I wouldn't use it too often.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    To the Original Poster:

I use coconut oil by the bucket loads..............I cook eggs, stir fry vegetables and meats in it. It is great in place of butter on a sweet potato. I use it in baking for my husband. I put it in my morning coffee..........

Topically, my husband and I use it to shave, cleanse our face and moisturize our face and bodies and oil pulling. It also makes a great hair conditioner.

To the other comments on this thread:

Saturated Fats are NOT bad for us and Coconut Oil is the HEALTHIEST oil on the face of this great earth.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/04/06/saturated_fat_the_misunderstood_nutrient#axzz0zknkn0yT

http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/saturated_fat.htm

http://www.preventionisbest.com/site/saturatedfat.html

http://www.health-report.co.uk/saturated_fats_health_benefits.htm
    Medium chain triglycerides or MCT is what elevates coconut oil head and shoulders above all other oils or fats in the whole wide world.

A triglyceride is simply three fatty acids joined together by a single glycerol molecule. Now you have a good idea why MCT and MCFA (medium chain fatty acids) are used interchangeably.

Almost all other fats on the planet are mostly, if not entirely, long chain triglycerides (LCT). MCTs and LCTs are very different from each other. Their uses are completely dissimilar!

MCTs are transformed into MCFAs and monoglycerides inside your body, both of which possessing impressive antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, etc. properties.

Triglycerides and diglycerides have no antimicrobial effects. Coconut oil consists entirely of triglycerides so it does not show antimicrobial activity.

But once the triglycerides are converted into monoglycerides and free fatty acids in the digestive tract, it’s pretty much game over for a long list of disease-causing bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I heard alot of good things about coconut oil and weight loss. Let me know how you make out with it...Does it taste real bad, I like coconut so I would asume it tastes like coconut. Does it??? Keep me posted!!! And I would love to read your food diary wow you lost weight and didn't have much to lose. Way to go............

If you get extra virgin, expeller pressed, there is a mild coconut taste and odor................If you get the refined, no taste and no smell either.
  • Taylora94
    Taylora94 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Thanks! First of all, when I first bought it I was really suprised. It did not come in a liquid like most oils, it came in a hard solid. ( Kind of like candle wax) As soon as I got home I went to go take a tbs of it and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. So now I am sitting hearing eating it in my yogurt and I can't even taste the diffrence. Also if any of you would like to add me as a friend you could. If you add me as a friend I will keep you posted on how it is going.
  • Taylora94
    Options

If you get extra virgin, expeller pressed, there is a mild coconut taste and odor................If you get the refined, no taste and no smell either.

I got refined and there is no taste or smell there is just a weird texture that is making my stomach turn.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I can only eat a teaspoon at a time straight out of the jar. Coconut butter, cream, and manna, on the other hand, is like CANDY! Best way to get coconut oil in your diet is to cook with it. It's yummo!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I LOVE the stuff! My whole family does! We use it to cook with, fry with, I put it on my toast and we bake with it. I don't like it straight (though some recommend drinking some in warm water before a meal I just can't stand that! Maybe that's why it's effective? Because it makes me want to throw up? lol) I also use it on my skin all the time and it's awesome because it's one of the few things that don't irritate. I have very sensitive skin and rosacea so I have to be very careful. I like to put it on right after the shower (body) and on my face right before going to bed. Don't want a big old shiny face under my makeup!

You can also use it melted with a little brown sugar and it makes a great exfoliating scrub. (I've also used olive oil for this.) Oh and if you just need a quick sweet you can melt it with chocolate chips and freeze it until it hardens. It's like little mounds flavored piles of goodness and satisfies when I need a quick chocolate fix. :)
  • Taylora94
    Options
    I know what your talking about knittnponder. I ate it not but 10 minutes ago for the first time and I'm about ready to throw up my guts. ( So maybe that's why they say it helps you lose weight!) :noway:
  • Grokette
    Options
    I know what your talking about knittnponder. I ate it not but 10 minutes ago for the first time and I'm about ready to throw up my guts. ( So maybe that's why they say it helps you lose weight!) :noway:

You can get nausea if you eat too much at one time and your body isn't producing the enzymes to digest it properly. Should ease into eating it and using it.

Cooking with it is a much better way to introduce it to your body, slowly..................

I have also read that nausea is mild yeast die off too...........
    Coconut oil nausea benefits stem from the fact that coconut oil (CNO) takes very good care of your digestive system. Boosting the immune system is CNO’s specialty.

Do you know that some 80 percent of your whole immune system is located right in your intestinal tract?

Constipation is one major cause of indigestion that frequently leads to nausea.
  • Hunnieshadow
    Options
    I mix it in with my oatmeal.

I cook my oatmeal like normal, put it in the bowl, plop the coconut oil on top and stir until it melts. Then I add a little bit of vanilla soy milk and what ever fruit I have on hand. MMMMMM
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Where can you buy it?
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use it instead of butter or shortening in cookies (not that I make cookie often anymore)...it tastes great! It also is good if you use it to pop popcorn - it isn't as low calorie as air popped, but once you salt the popcorn, it has a nice sweet-salty flavor, almost like kettle corn.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I use it instead of butter or shortening in cookies (not that I make cookie often anymore)...it tastes great! It also is good if you use it to pop popcorn - it isn't as low calorie as air popped, but once you salt the popcorn, it has a nice sweet-salty flavor, almost like kettle corn.

You can buy the same coconut oil that movie theaters use which is less sweet.
  • EAMac
    EAMac Posts: 22
    Options
    Besides cooking with it, when I have hot tea, I stir in a teaspoon or so. It gives it a nice, creamy texture. Yum!