Great Article on Higher Calorie breakfasts

Options
alb_photog
alb_photog Posts: 110 Member
Saw this on FB while I was eating my cottage cheese and hard boiled egg... and it inspired me to add toast and peanut butter.

http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/Breakfast__the_most_important_meal_of_an_athlete_s_day.htm?cmp=17-1-572

Thought it was a good article.

I do have to admit, I am less hungry today, and my 30DS workout was easier!

Replies

• Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • LissaBaby14
    LissaBaby14 Posts: 46
    Options
    Very insightful! Thanks for sharing :)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.

I should consider front loading my day with calories, currently my meals are about even in calories.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've been a proponent of big healthy breakfasts for quite awhile. Worked for me anyway :)
  • llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    When I train, breakfasts are HUGE! You've got to put fuel in the tank if you expect the car to drive.
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    Thanks for the article! I'm going to try this :)
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    I observed the effects of this just yesterday. I literally swapped dinner and breakfast--I had carnitas, beans, tortillas, and jicama salad in the morning and a big ol' bowl of Cream of Wheat for dinner and it was FABULOUS. I felt much more sustained throughout the day! Aaaand, I didn't feel too full and lethargic when I went to dance class or went down for bed. When you think about it, isn't that what our anscestors did on the farm? Big ol' farm boy breakfast for working in the fields, a hearty supper, and light-ish dinner so you wouldn't be up all night trying to digest your food? So I might go with this for the long run. I love breakfast-type food so much that the idea of having more time to prepare it by eating it for dinner sounds delightful.
  • gtm124
    gtm124 Posts: 179
    Options
    I always have done better throughout the day by eating a decent breakfast. But I also listen to my body. If I am full I stop and know I could always add a mid-morning snack to make it to lunch. Thanks for posting the URL. Nice read.
  • dot513
    dot513 Posts: 38
    Options
    bump:wink:
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I just like a big breakfast. I know that in terms of ones metabolism for the whole day it makes no difference as the metabolism rise from a meal is bigger and longer lasting for a bigger meal. With a smaller meal the metabolism rise is smaller and last for less time in proportion to the size of the meal. Thus, when metabolism is measured for the whole day either with the bigger longer lasting rise or the smaller shorter lasting but more frequent rises it all comes out the same. I still like my big breakfast, especially now that I have the calories to do so.

I posted the above before reading the article and while it was interesting, yet again it is an article that does not cite any actual controlled studies at all. If someone is going to give suggestions as an authority, at least point us to research that backs things up. As I said, I enjoy a big breakfast, and don't plan to change that.
  • penny6n
    penny6n Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for sharing great information