Do you lose less . . .

Options
As you begin to weigh less, do you begin to lose less each week? I noticed on MFP when I first started that it told me I would lose 1.8 lbs each weeks. When I look at the bottom each day now, its showing weight loss around 1 lb each week. Do you lose less if you stay at the same calorie level as you lose weight?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As you lose weight, your calorie requirements become less...so basically if you don't adjust your calorie intake down and continue to eat at the same calories you started with, your deficit shrinks. There is also some adaptive thermogenesis going on as well, particularly if you've been dieting for awhile.

Also, you have fewer fat stores so you should go slower. The smaller you are, the slower you should be going.
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    As you lose weight, your calorie requirements become less...so basically if you don't adjust your calorie intake down and continue to eat at the same calories you started with, your deficit shrinks. There is also some adaptive thermogenesis going on as well, particularly if you've been dieting for awhile.

Also, you have fewer fat stores so you should go slower. The smaller you are, the slower you should be going.

I think I'm at the lowest calorie level one can be at and still be healthy, 1200 calories a day
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I think I'm at the lowest calorie level one can be at and still be healthy, 1200 calories a day

Which then triggers the simple questions ... height, current weight, goal weight, current weekly loss goals?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The closer you get to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just the way the human body works. For the last 20 lbs. or so, it comes off about .5 lb. per week.

The smaller deficit will also help you transition to maintenance.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you only have 3 lbs left to lose. If this is correct, you should reset your goal to 0.5 lbs per week and enjoy the extra calories. Congrats!