Best activity tracker your advice please :)

Options
Well it's a few days after Christmas shock horror up 3lbs :( ! How did that happen ?? ...like many I suppose I am looking to make healthier choices in the new year
I have some Christmas money and was thinking about purchasing a fitbit or another activity tracker..
Can anyone advise me here are they any good ? which is best ? and did they help you loose weight
Thankyou in advance :)

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Really it will depend on what you want it for. The market has been flooded with these devices. I like to bike and run indoors outdoors. And at one time was regularly making a cardio class. I'm partial to the Garmin products. I started off with the fr70 and now use the 620. Its pricey, but I'm very pleased with it. You can find online reviews by some tech savvy folks. Good luck!
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    The fitbit Zip is AMAZING!!! I absolutely love it. I always wear it around and its great with tracking steps, calories burned etc. And the exercise calories sync here on MFP so calories increase automatically

I also have a polar Heart rate monitor (FT7), which was amazing with helping me get fit at the gym - definitely worth the investment.

I just got a TomTom GPS watch from my boyfriend's dad! Really looking forward to the GPS function since I love running outdoors and training for 5K and 10K's.
  • _Tzefira_
    _Tzefira_ Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Got a Garmin vivosmart a little while ago. Mostly because I wanted a tracker that also could sync with an HRM for workouts, but I'm not a hardcore runner so I didn't need a complex analysis of my running stride or anything advanced like that.

Very much liking it so far. Only a few complaints, some things are a bit of a pain to sync and the GarminConnect interface is an eyesore compared to Fitbit and Jawbone's sites.

But overall, for what I bought it for, it's been excellent so far. Your mileage may vary based on what needs you have.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Try looking for a comparison of features on a site like Consumer Reports or reviews on solid tech sites so you can compare and make sure what you get is what you're looking for.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Dcrainmaker is the reviewer I used. He has reviewed many devices and often uses his girlfriend to test products, woman's perspective.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I like my fitbit one. It syncs with myfitnesspal. I've lost 10 pounds since I started using it, it keeps me really motivated. :)
  • sqzbxr
    Options
    Second the recommendation for Dcrainmaker for product reviews. I've been through a Fitbit Flex, Garmin Vivofit and Polar Loop but returned all of them. I am now using a Fitbit Charge and am very happy with it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You can read more about Fitbits in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I have a Fitbit Flex and a Jawbone UP24. (I'm a data nerd.) They show you your TDEE—way more accurately than any online calculator. When you connect your accounts, MFP compares your activity level to your TDEE and adjusts your daily calories accordingly.

Fitbit makes other models that clip to your bra or slip in a pocket. I only ever take my activity trackers off to charge. And they're motivating—if I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block.

Edited to add that I lost the weight and have maintained for six months.
  • NenaDavis52
    NenaDavis52 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using the FitBit One since Feb 2014 and love it. Syncs with My Food Diary and that gives me an extra margin of calories due to exercise output, if I need it. Plus, the company replaced my first one absolutely free when it stopped working (which rarely happens to the devices, but it does happen occasionally). But good to know they are a straight up company.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I just got the Jawbone up24, LOVE it! In addition to coordinating with MFP and telling me my steps, it tells me how I sleep (cuz I suck at it) laughs.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I love my BodymediaFIT. Sadly, the company was bought out by Jawbone who seems to have killed the new monitor project and discontinued the old (from what I can tell). Jawbone makes inferior products compared to my BMF, so I am just praying they don't discontinue the subscription service and support for the devices already sold. :(

I would definitely check out online reviews, but also read support forums and Facebook pages to get the low-down on potential known devices issues and most importantly customer service. :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    There is no cookie cutter answer for what is the best tracker. What activities do you participate in? What data do you want to track?

For some a Fitbit or Up is a great choice. For others, a HRM or GPS is the best option. For some, not buying any tracker is the smartest choice. Without knowing what you do and what you want to track there is no way to intelligently give you any feedback.
  • Fatkat121212
    Options
    Garmin forerunner watch is great. It counts your daily steps and gives you new goal steps to reach everyday. It also has a hrm that tracks how many calories you burn throughout the day.

It was $240 Aus and well worth it.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Garmin forerunner watch is great. It counts your daily steps and gives you new goal steps to reach everyday. It also has a hrm that tracks how many calories you burn throughout the day.

It was $240 Aus and well worth it.

The HRM function is only good for steady state cardio, not all day calculations.

• JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have used Polar heart rate monitors for many years to track my exercise and calories burned. I enter the exercises and calories burned in mfp. It works very well for me.
    Mfp exercise estimate of calories burned is optimistic as is are the amounts shown on gym equipment like elliptical trainers