Foods/recipes you grew up with that you would not eat today

Options

Replies

• ducati45
    ducati45 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Fish fingers- so yucky and plain and probably the shittest fish inside ever guh
    Pasta bakes (particularly tuna) with a lot of cream and like smothered in cheese. Guh.
    Boiled eggs with bread and butter...it's not even that unhealthy it's like why waste time eating something so boring.
    Burnt sausages with cooked carrots peas and corn- please just stop
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Yeah lots of canned foods and boxed things. Some of it I might still eat now *on occasion* but mostly noooo...not because it's so evil, but because yuck. I can make way better and healthier food, or at least splurge on something awesome in a restaurant.

La Choy "Chinese meals"

salisbury steaks

Definitely Tuna Helper as others have mentioned. I used to add some crunched-up Fritos and shredded cheddar.

Banquet pot pies. I liked them with cottage cheese on top.

Little Debbie snack cakes - especially the Swiss Cake Rolls.

Oh and Pillsbury chocolate chip cookie dough cut or scooped from the tube, raw. When I was like three years old I was underweight and that's all I wanted. By the time I was six or seven I was a little overweight...hmmm. LOL
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    My mom's lasagna because it's gone downhill over the years
    the soup she used to make that was just noodles and chicken broth
    the prune juice she would make me drink

lol, sorry
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Just about all of it. Mom was not up on what was healthy and even when she was told, she just didn't care, lol.

We ate almost all crap, all day, every day. It was pretty yummy, though. :)
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My mom made ramen a lot but now i do not care for the taste. I also had to drink lots of v8, back before we discovered the fruit flavors. So basically tomato juice and now I won't touch it
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Boxes mashed potatoes, canned veggies. Yuck. And 'bechamel' sauce. Never could really stand it and she made it too much...

I grew up in France though so there are a lot of convenience foods you get here that we don't get there (ramen, mac and cheese etc).
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Banquet pot pies with cottage cheese is the most horrible thing I've ever heard of. And I would eat either on its own.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh Posts: 363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My mom used to put bacon and peanut butter sandwiches in my lunch! :o
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Liver gross
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Canned mixed vegetables!! EWWW
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Goulash... always hated my mom's recipe.
    Things with velvetta.
    Most canned vegetables.
    Overcooked meat.
    Potatoes at every dinner.
    Canned soup.
    Boiled hot dogs. Always hated those.
    Super bland food. A spice rack is not there just to gather dust.
    Frozen dinners.
  • donna48mw
    Options
    I would eat any, and all of them, just not something I would eat everyday. I love old fashioned comfort foods. The ones made on a budget were well, that's what we ate. I love to eat healthy now, but I do allow some good oldfashioned foods now and then!
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    dumplings, velveeta, banquet pot pies, frozen cream pies
  • profesorakrf
    profesorakrf Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It seems we ate lots of casseroles with mayo and canned soup as the base. So much fat and sodium! Ugh!
    We drank way too many sodas and ate way too much processed lunchmeat. I don't consume that stuff anymore.
    Also lots of doritos, fritos, chex party mix, etc... still do eat that stuff sometimes... :smiley:
  • freesia83
    freesia83 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    We lived with our grandparents and my nan was a good cook and it was a case of waste not want not. If we got it we ate it, the only thing we didn't try was tripe, that was just for grandad. Used to love proper dripping with the jelly and salt on it on a slice of bread, don't know if I would eat that now though.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nothing, really... I still eat pretty much everything I used to eat as a child. My mom always put in a lot of time and effort into cooking - since I live in a home cooking culture that values using the freshest ingredients and making almost everything from scratch. I do, however, eat things now that I did not eat as a child. Oatmeal for example. I didn't even know it existed as a child, but when I tried it for the first time 2 years ago I fell in love.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Creamed chipped beef, canned vegetables, sugary cereals with added sugar on top, Kool Aid. Can't think what else.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Scrunchions (pork rind fried up crispy)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Tuna casserole - pasta, canned cream of mushroom soup, canned tuna, a few slices of onion and celery thrown in, and topped with a mound of cheese.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I grew up eating pretty healthy meals, Lots of fresh fruits and veggies and Mom cooked an actual meal most nights even though she worked, which was unusual for a wife and mother in the early 60's. We were a meat, potatoes, and vegetable family with very few casseroles. In my early days money was very tight so some of our meals were low budget, and I will not eat some of them ever again:
    • Smothered beef patties: hamburgers smothered in cream of mushroom soup and served with smashed potatoes. The soup was the gravy for the potatoes. Put me off mushrooms for life.
    • Creamed chipped beef on toast and *kitten* on a shingle
    • Beef Mexicana: ground beef with mexican niblets corn and whatever else
    • Canned veggies. We ate a lot of fresh when available but canned beans, peas, and corn were staples

On the other hand, I still prefer pancakes and waffles as lunch or dinner foods rather than breakfast foods.