Calories burned...

Options
I don't 100% agree with the given calories burned after my workout as given on this site. With each person being at a different weight and doing it at different levels should I look at those stated calories burned as a general given and then adjust it to what I think is right? I don't have a HRM or anything like the fitbit at the moment so the confusion is making me unsure about whether or not I've eaten enough or not.

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The burns are high for me. I'm short, in a normal weight range and have a naturally low heart rate..... An hour run gives me about 350-400cals measured with an hrm. If you don't have / want an hrm, you could just use the 2/3 rule....only eat back 2/3 of the MFP cal burn. Then you should be OK.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I never use the burns that MFP give. They're insanely high. If I do an hour of the recumbent bike MFP will tell me I burned like 500 calories and the bike will say 320. I go with the bike.
  • Potat0Face
    Potat0Face Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I go with the total stated on the machine but for things like walking, running, HIIT where I don't have anything that tells me about the calories I burned I'm not sure if what MFP tells me is true.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    You can wear a heart rate monitor for those times and try to figure it out by that. Or get a Fitbit or a Jawbone UP.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    As with most numbers on MFP, it is an estimate. Each person may be different. There is a lot of factors to consider. Many of us are not too concerned as we do not eat back total calories burned. As others have stated, get a heart rated monitor for better accuracy.
  • badboygotti
    badboygotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Potat0Face wrote: »
    I go with the total stated on the machine but for things like walking, running, HIIT where I don't have anything that tells me about the calories I burned I'm not sure if what MFP tells me is true.

Have you tried the map my fitness app?