Weight loss secret?

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal too add apple or orange for more flavor. Cinnamon reduce you sugars so add too coffee and really good on oatmeal. Eat a once of almond a day it help you loss wait.
    OP did put secret in inverted commas, just replace it in your head with 'tip' if you prefer.

What she is asking is still the same, regardless of word semantics.

Please explain scientifically how cinnamon reduces sugar (hint: it doesn't). Same for the almonds. They are not "magic".
  • routehero
    routehero Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No secret for me, just hard work. Every morning I get up and do an hour on the exercise bike. It sucks but seems to be effective.
  • MotelHoney
    MotelHoney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it's like 99% psychological. Change your habits and your thinking, your taste, etc.

The best thing I've done is to not try to lose weight, just getting healthy and weight loss (if you need it) comes naturally! I only like to eat clean foods now. I don't have 'cheat' days or 'treats' because my food treats are what I eat now, they taste good to me. Before when I was eating fast food and stuff, I didn't like vegetables and fruits but now they taste as good as a cupcake would ^^
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I have a lot of "secrets" not just one.

I guess i'll give you one i dno't have to explain. Commitment. You have to create commitment to get through you more difficult moments and keep you engaged for the long haul.

By the way i think hard work is totally unnecessary. But by all means do it if you love it. I think losing weight should be easy. And for me it has been so i continue to promote this idea.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's not a secret; caloric deficit equals weight loss.
  • MountainMamaNB
    MountainMamaNB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    One boiled egg for breakfast...pretty sure eggs are a super food! ThiS stays with me much longer than oatmeal.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    MotelHoney wrote: »
    I think it's like 99% psychological. Change your habits and your thinking, your taste, etc.

The best thing I've done is to not try to lose weight, just getting healthy and weight loss (if you need it) comes naturally! I only like to eat clean foods now. I don't have 'cheat' days or 'treats' because my food treats are what I eat now, they taste good to me. Before when I was eating fast food and stuff, I didn't like vegetables and fruits but now they taste as good as a cupcake would ^^

I agree 100%.

If you keep telling yourself that weight loss is hard and eating mostly nutrient dense calorie light foods will make you miserable, it probably will.

If you keep an open mind and pay attention to how your body responds to a diet high in fruit, veggies, beans, etc, you may find it's easier and much more enjoyable than you thought it would be.

I would eat a bowl of fresh cherries over a slice of cake any day of the week. A year ago, I would not have thought that was remotely possible.
  • smiley768
    Options
    Ceaser salad and fruit. I always order ceaser salad it has been my weight loss secret and it's not bad. Why is it a secret? Because its very filling.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    My big weight loss secret is to eat less calories than I burn. I eat everything in moderation.

Yup.

Eat less, and I'll add: move more.

Plain oatmeal? bleh. Why waste your calories choking down that?
    I put peanut butter and fruit with almond milk on mine. Maybe I'll add some brown sugar to it next time. :)
    When I have oatmeal, I cook it with water (1c water + 1/2 oats). And, then, when it's to the consistency I like, I set it aside to cool a bit. While it's cooling, I combine 1tsp brown sugar, 1/2tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 chopped banana in a ramekin and cook on high in the microwave until bubbling and the sugar is starting to carmelize. Dump into oatmeal.

It tastes like breakfast creme brulee!

• JrMendez2
    JrMendez2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As most have said, there is no secret. It is simple, eat less calories than you burn. Simple, but never easy.
    funchords wrote: »
    My secret is that logging -- above anything else, logging -- brings the awareness and then the control that I've always lacked. Logging inspires the better food choices, the lower portion sizes, the calorie deficit, and the better control necessary for losing weight.
    Well said

• jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One thing that really helped me out when I first started out was I took the time to read the forums and learned how to properly use MFP. The pinned posts were a huge help, especially when it came to setting up my goals and learning how to accurately log my food.

It's not really a secret since it's all right here in the forums, but there are a lot of people that never check out the forums or even know that these forums exist. There is a lot of valuable information that they are missing out on.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Live a healthful lifestyle...being healthy and maintaining a healthy weight and BF% is a bi-product of living a healthful lifestyle. This includes eating nutritiously and in appropriate quantities for your stats and activity and getting regular exercise.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My tips - Figure out your true TDEE, then eat a small deficit (15%). Log things appropriately. Don't stress out too much - if you are, find some way of dealing with the stress. Find something you enjoy doing and do it (I love lifting and playing field hockey) - get off your bum even if only for a few minutes a day. Only give up or do what you are willing to do for the rest of your life. DON'T just eat 1200 calories unless it is truly 15% under your TDEE (which would mean you are probably short, older and weigh not too much).
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    Consistently meeting my calorie and exercise goals. I don't give up any foods, so I don't feel deprived and binge. I make special events and dinners out fit, so that this can last long term.

That's what I do, too. It really works. I don't feel deprived and I lose weight.
  • MeRoHa
    MeRoHa Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have found I have to make sure I hit my target goals for protein and I try to keep my allowable amount of sugar under the maximum. I also try to really limit gluten. Those things in combination really seem to have helped me since starting this path to healthier target weight. I log on MFP everyday and try to exercise 1/2 hour or more everyday.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My tips..

1. Drink green smoothies daily. I add a drop of vitamin D to mine, and freshly squeezed citrus... who needs to buy multivitamins with this? lol

2. Walking is underrated. It helps get bowels moving too lol
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    My secret is that logging -- above anything else, logging -- brings the awareness and then the control that I've always lacked. Logging inspires the better food choices, the lower portion sizes, the calorie deficit, and the better control necessary for losing weight.

This for me too. I could know in principle that I had to eat and exercise so I had a calorie deficit, but I don't mind saying that when I joined MFP and started logging, I was SHOCKED by how many calories I had been taking in thinking I was being "good" ...

My big favorite is, "If every day was like today, in 5 weeks you would weigh:" Lay it on me, MFP, a little automated honesty!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    My big weight loss secret is to eat less calories than I burn. I eat everything in moderation.

Yup.

Eat less, and I'll add: move more.

Plain oatmeal? bleh. Why waste your calories choking down that?
    I put peanut butter and fruit with almond milk on mine. Maybe I'll add some brown sugar to it next time. :)
    When I have oatmeal, I cook it with water (1c water + 1/2 oats). And, then, when it's to the consistency I like, I set it aside to cool a bit. While it's cooling, I combine 1tsp brown sugar, 1/2tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 chopped banana in a ramekin and cook on high in the microwave until bubbling and the sugar is starting to carmelize. Dump into oatmeal.

It tastes like breakfast creme brulee!

Sounds yummy ...I'm trying that
  • ilona422014
    Options
    Add some oats to scramble eggs.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's not really a secret, but I found the most effective thing was to eat more meals at home. I find it nearly impossible to make homecooked meals have the crazy calorie count of restaurant food.