Waaayyy off on Macro's ?

Options
I have a goal to lose 20-30lbs this year (well 2015). I have caloric intake set to 1550 to start and used a 60/20/20 macro split between Protein, carbs and fat. While I'm ok hitting my calorie goal, my macros are off. I am consistently under for protein and over on fat and carbs. Doesn't seem like those macros are achievable. Should I adjust something?

36/F/5.6'
CW 171
GW 145-150

Slightly active. I have a desk job but will work out 3-5x a week using JM Body Revolution and/or Cardio on treadmill, bikes etc.

Years ago I was successful at losing the 20lbs via Adkins, but my body (kidneys) didn't like that plan. I am have lurked here since and have decided to join a few challenges to help me meet my goal. This time I have every intention of doing it right (balanced diet, working out) and making an adjustment in my eating and lifestyle that is a more realistic plan to stick to. And guess what, nothing is off limits this time around (alcohol, sweets, etc) as long as I can fit it in my daily goals. I understand moderation is key.

TIA for your guidance!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    60% protein is excessive. Did you mean that ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why are your macros so out of whack?

Mine are 40 carbs, 30 fat, 30 protein...I still regularly go over on carbs and under on protein even though I try to make sure I eat at least 100g protein ..sometimes I miss that too

Just stick to your calories it doesn't matter that much tbh ...not at the start
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Was that a typo? 60% protein? Why in the world would you want to do that? I believe the USDA guidelines are 15%-35%. While 15% may be low for some, especially for weight loss with lean mass retention, 35% is more than enough, assuming your calories aren't super low (it's the actual number of grams that is important, not the %.)

I suggest you calculate your actual protein needs and then focus on the absolute amount, while ignoring the percentage.
  • InnocentLunatic
    InnocentLunatic Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    60% protein does seem a lil crazy, but if you just want to up your protein intake in general, I find eating chicken helps a lot. Days where I have chicken it usually tells me I hit my protein goal before lunch. Greek yogurt has a good amount of protein too. Make chicken salad with plain greek yogurt instead of mayonaisse, add a little mustard and mmmm
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    40% carb, 30% protein and 30% carb is plenty.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Shell4624 wrote: »
    I have a goal to lose 20-30lbs this year (well 2015). I have caloric intake set to 1550 to start and used a 60/20/20 macro split between Protein, carbs and fat. While I'm ok hitting my calorie goal, my macros are off. I am consistently under for protein and over on fat and carbs. Doesn't seem like those macros are achievable. Should I adjust something?

36/F/5.6'
    CW 171
    GW 145-150

Slightly active. I have a desk job but will work out 3-5x a week using JM Body Revolution and/or Cardio on treadmill, bikes etc.

Years ago I was successful at losing the 20lbs via Adkins, but my body (kidneys) didn't like that plan. I am have lurked here since and have decided to join a few challenges to help me meet my goal. This time I have every intention of doing it right (balanced diet, working out) and making an adjustment in my eating and lifestyle that is a more realistic plan to stick to. And guess what, nothing is off limits this time around (alcohol, sweets, etc) as long as I can fit it in my daily goals. I understand moderation is key.

TIA for your guidance!

Why/how did you choose those macros?
  • Shell4624
    Shell4624 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Too be honest, I'm not sure where I picked up those "recommended" % for macros! I will make the adjustment to 40 30 30 as suggested.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm 35% (p), 35% (c), 30% (f). I am not trying to lose, am now working on building muscle/body composition. However, when I was trying to lose, my macros were close to the same.

I always turned adding more protein into my diet as a game. Some days are better than others, still. :smile: I don't buy cookies, crackers, rice, etc.

This article is really interesting about protein needs for building muscle:
    http://bit.ly/13NhtSk
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Shell4624 wrote: »
    Thanks all! Too be honest, I'm not sure where I picked up those "recommended" % for macros! I will make the adjustment to 40 30 30 as suggested.

Good place to start^.