moms age 24-35

Replies

• Anything can be toddler friendly. I recommend feeding him the same as you eat... I did not do this with my kids. Now it's like pulling teeth to get them to eat right. They are 17, 15, and 9 yr old twins. Oh how I wish I had fed them the way I want to eat now
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Hi, I'm 30, and I have a 2 year old girl. My husband is overweight, mostly due to soda consuption. So I showed him MFP. He can still eat, like, 4000 cal to be in deficite so he doesn't get my struggle budgeting 1200-1380 cal. I've been on MFP for a little over a month and logging daily.
    One of the healthy meals I share with my kiddo is an omelet (eggs+egg whites+ a little water+ veggies) I sometimes add leftover chicken or other foods from the day before.
  • colleenm487
    colleenm487 Posts: 45 Member
    Hi, I'm 27 years old with a 1 1/2 year old boy. I'm trying to get back on track. I need friends so I would appreciate anyone would like to add me :) My LO is a snacker so I always try to have cheese sticks, and cut fruit on hand. I would love some recipe ideas as well.
  • DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    The biggest suggestion that I can give you is to stop thinking of food in terms of "toddler friendly" What does that mean, exactly? Kids, even babies and toddlers, can and SHOULD eat the same way that we do.

I cannot even imagine my kids being brought up on only what America considers toddler friendly foods.

Since they were on table food (7-9 months for both my girls) they have eaten what we eat. Period. They ate salmon, steak, chicken, things with all sorts of sauces, etc..

They won't have a chance to grow up thinking that their only options are chicken nuggets, hot dogs and macaroni and cheese if you don't serve that crap at home, ya know?

Even at restaurants, we have them order off the adult menu a lot and they share it. They are 6 and 8 now and VERY often choose to split an adult size salad as a meal for themselves. That doesn't mean that they don't get to order corn dogs off the kids menu if they want it - they do...but it's a treat, just like it is for me to order my cheeseburger and fries when I go out.

We eat healthy homecooked meals at home. I NEVER have given a thought to weather the meal was child friendly EXCEPT when it comes to spicyness...I don't make super spicy stuff for my kids - I cook the same meal, but take some out for them before I add the cayenne because I know it's too harsh for them. Everything else? GAME ON, KIDS! They love trying new foods and it's fun. There are some things that they don't like and if they don't like it, it's ok - they just eat more of the portion of the meal that they DO like. We do not cook separate meals for them. Ever.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    I am a mom; feel free to add me! I'd be happy to provide support!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    I'm 22 but I have two girls 5 and 3 years old. I would recommend feeding them whatever you eat. "Kid" geared foods are usually crap and don't have enough of what they need to properly grow. Although, that doesn't mean you can't make things fun. Protein flax pancakes shaped like mickey mouse/heart/flower/ect, and instead of scrambled eggs with veggies, make it flat like a pancake, sprinkle with cheese, and yell "EGG PIZZA." A lot of people don't seem to like putting a little extra time into their childrens food, but if you are willing, get some metal cookie cutters and use it for veggies like bell peppers, cucumber, zucchini, ect. My younger daughter who was never much into veggies started eating a lot more of them if they were cut into a flower or some other cute shape. lol Now she doesn't even care if I just cut them in slices vs flower shaped. Not much help in the recipe department, just some ideas.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I'm 37, but I'm a mum of a 5 and 3 year old and an 8 month old.

My kids eat what we do, just smaller portions. The big two love simple things like chicken or fish with veg (broccoli, carrots and peas usually) and also eat stir fry, spaghetti, shepherd's pie, stew etc. My baby isn't that interested in eating solid stuff yet, but I've made her some purées like apple and pear and sweet potato and carrot. I also purée things like spaghetti and stew as it's all made from scratch.

I was going to the shop a few weeks ago and asked what they wanted me to get for dinner. Their answer was chicken and broccoli :). They've never been to McDonald's, except once with my MIL. They do get treats though of course.

My 3 year old asks for apple and peanut butter for a snack. They learn by watching us.

Homemade smoothies are also a hit.....frozen mango and banana.
  • DoriCash wrote: »
    Oh, probably should introduce myself, huh? :# DoriCash, but Dori is fine. 27, going back to college for my associates and bachelors, and have two little ones, ages 5 and 3. Feel free to add. I would add, but have yet to outsmart my phone past the error I get every time I tried.

Doricash I can't add from here either! I have to go to my diary then click friends the request to type in the name of the person I want to add lol

Oh okay! Thanks!
  • Tuliper1
    Tuliper1 Posts: 59 Member
    Healthy toddler friendly foods can really just be what you eat, but in smaller portions. Kids don't always like "new" things and may not eat something, or give it a fair shake, the first few times they see it on their plate. Just put a bite on their plate for starters, try to get them to taste it, but don't freak if they don't. By the fourth or so time, they see it as normal and will usually at least try it. Good luck.

This is what we do, and people always comment on what good eaters our children are. I really think it's the only way to go!

• DanaHerro wrote: »
    The biggest suggestion that I can give you is to stop thinking of food in terms of "toddler friendly" What does that mean, exactly? Kids, even babies and toddlers, can and SHOULD eat the same way that we do.

I cannot even imagine my kids being brought up on only what America considers toddler friendly foods.

Since they were on table food (7-9 months for both my girls) they have eaten what we eat. Period. They ate salmon, steak, chicken, things with all sorts of sauces, etc..

They won't have a chance to grow up thinking that their only options are chicken nuggets, hot dogs and macaroni and cheese if you don't serve that crap at home, ya know?

Even at restaurants, we have them order off the adult menu a lot and they share it. They are 6 and 8 now and VERY often choose to split an adult size salad as a meal for themselves. That doesn't mean that they don't get to order corn dogs off the kids menu if they want it - they do...but it's a treat, just like it is for me to order my cheeseburger and fries when I go out.

We eat healthy homecooked meals at home. I NEVER have given a thought to weather the meal was child friendly EXCEPT when it comes to spicyness...I don't make super spicy stuff for my kids - I cook the same meal, but take some out for them before I add the cayenne because I know it's too harsh for them. Everything else? GAME ON, KIDS! They love trying new foods and it's fun. There are some things that they don't like and if they don't like it, it's ok - they just eat more of the portion of the meal that they DO like. We do not cook separate meals for them. Ever.

I feed them what we eat I don't cook them separate meals. They like salad fruit veggies etc I'm wanting ways to make eating healthy fun for them
  • tasious89
    tasious89 Posts: 22 Member
    hi im 25 and have a 5 and 2 year old.
    from the uk
    it definitely is difficult to stay healthy and still be making them good meals.
    I feel they still need snacks etc and treats etc and more rice potato etc trying to keep my choices low like swapping potato for sweet potato or rice for cous cous.
    feel free to add me x
  • tasious89
    tasious89 Posts: 22 Member
    I would love healthy recipes that are also toddler friendly.
    like some of the other ladies my kids also eat what is cooked but smaller portions. I may change some of my options depending such as rice for cous cous but that is just to save calories/eat healthier.
    x
  • I'll be 24 in less than 2 months :s
    I'm a new mom with a four month old daughter.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Feel free to add me. I'm 29 with a 4 year old son.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    I'm 34, 4 girls: 12, 9, 7, 2...did I really just type that? I feel like I'm still 19 lol.

• MummyKate85
    MummyKate85 Posts: 154 Member
    Hi, im a 29yr old mum of 4! I have 2 sons who are 13 and 3, and 2 daughters who are 8 and 5 :)
  • sherbet111
    sherbet111 Posts: 9 Member
    Hello! I'm a mom of a 2 year old and have recently started logging food again to get a handle on what I'm eating daily. Feel free to add me!

For toddler meals, I'm like most others in this thread and just serve my son whatever we're having. If he isn't interested in our dinner, then I'll get out some of his favorites - fruits, raw veggies, and beans (especially chick peas). The hardest thing for me has been knowing how much he should be eating. Sometimes, he'll eat an entire cup of fruit and ask for more food - other times he'll eat like 4 bites and be done.

Some things my son loves right now are pomegranate seeds, clementines (bc he can peel them himself), baby carrots, and edamame (bc he can pop them out of the shells). Maybe try some foods that a toddler can feel independent eating; that seems to make it more fun for them! :) Also, my son has been really into helping with recipes and is interested in eating whatever we make together. We've made some healthy oatmeal no-bake cookies recently that were a hit.
  • Hello, I am 29 and have a 5yr old daughter. I am currently looking up healthy recipes for my family, since i am planning on losing 108 lbs this upcoming year & because my husband who is diabetic has been told that if he doesn't start eating right he is going to lose his kidneys and will need to be on dialysis. I am more than happy to share my recipes as well as any other kind of advice or motivation. I am a noob so I am in need of friends and support. Hope you have a great New Years =)
  • I feel ya. I have a 4 year old and 7 month old. My husband is ex army enough said there. I would love to support you and bounce ideas
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    DanaHerro wrote: »

OMG THIS!

I cook one meal for everyone, and everyone has the choice to either eat it or not. So that means that if we have spaghetti bolognaise with olives and mushrooms and zucchini inevitably one child will pick out the olives, another the mushrooms and the third will ditch the zucchini, BUT they will generally eat 2 of the 3. I think because our kids have always eaten what we do they are more adventurous with food. About the only exceptions I make is for meat (unless slow cooked) again because it is too chewy for little mouths and spicy food.

One of my favourites is tomato pasta, grab onion and garlic finely chopped and sautee until golden, add a can or 2 of tomatoes (chopped tomato, nothing added!) some italian herbs, some chicken stock and let it simmer away for a while till it thickens up. You can add cooked chicken, sausage, or meat to this (if working with raw sauté it till brown with the onion and garlic). I serve over pasta of any kind. You can also add some cream or cheese if it fits into your calorie budget but we generally don't as my youngest has a dairy allergy.