Holiday month binging. Please Help.

Options
Okay so everyday of this whole month ive been binging, consuming 3000-6000 calories daily. I've been eating so much i am starting to wonder how all of it even fit inside of me. I am truely feeling disgusted with myself. i feel like a pig. When i stepped on the scale its showing i am 20 pounds heavier than i was before the binge, but I know about half of it is water weight.
I can only fault myself for this happining, not because of my binging but because before holloween i was only eating less than 1200 calories a day for 5 months. After holloween i increased my intake to 1710 and was doing good with that. But when thanksgiving came i ate so much that day i threw up and every since then i been eating like crazy.
My plans when i get back on track is to eat 1510 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week and also i will start back interminent fasting. I will now include foods that i love in my everyday diet and not deprive myself like in the past.
Is anyone else going through something similar to this? Any advise or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• laparson63
    laparson63 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been eating way more than I should beginning at Thanksgiving. I have gained about 10 pounds and that's why I started back on MFP today after about 8 months off.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I would really take a long look at why that happened before you start your new plan. Really try to find out why and how it happened. When I feel a binge coming on, I ask myself questions like: am I hungry, am I bored, am I sad, etc. Hopefully you can look back and figure out the root of the binging so you can stop the next one (because there will likely be a next one, some day).

In the future, you may look at lowering your carb intake. It worked for me and others, so it may be worth researching/experimenting. I would also suggest slowly lowering your calories maybe from 2000 down to your new 1500 goal to prevent future binges and feeling restricted.

Good luck to you. I know it's hard. Forgive yourself and move forward :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain, but in a different way. I've only gained a pound or two, probably just water weight, because my calories have been more or less within goal (I've been maintaining for over 3 years), but I feel sick and bloated and sluggish and blah - not my usually self at all. I think it's because, for the past several weeks, I've traded all my nutritious foods for crap and I've stopped exercising regularly. I've been eating tons of grease and sugar and laying around a lot.

It's gonna be a challenge to get back to eating foods that make me feel good again. I think I've gotten a bit of a junk food habit going on and I've gone lazy. It's amazing how far and fast you can go downhill when you let yourself go, right? The good thing is, you can stop it and turn things back around. The sooner, the better.

Personally, I'm very affected by the seasons, so it's going to be a struggle until the sun comes back, but then I'll take off and be totally awesome again by March. My challenge will be to keep myself in line as best as I can for the next couple of months, while I wait for that energy to return.

I know what to do, and I WILL do it. I think you will, too, OP. Good luck getting back on track. You've got this! (*)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is good to live in Canada. Our Thanksgiving is a month earlier, so I could do thanksgiving, with gusto! Then get back to where I want to be for Christmas, which is a no counting event, hohoho.
    These are occasions and events to enjoy, I do, then go back on track as soon as they are over.
    The pounds will go, just pick up where you left off once we hot Jan 3.

Happy holidays, h.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    shonako wrote: »
    My plans when i get back on track is to eat 1510 calories a day to lose 1.5 pounds a week and also i will start back intermittent fasting. I will now include foods that i love in my everyday diet and not deprive myself like in the past.

Why is your goal set so aggressively? Restriction is what got you into this situation, where you're bingeing.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You don't have that much to really lose so I would set your goal to 1 lb MAX to lose. Less restriction and more chance for long term loss and then being able to eventually get to maintenance knowing how to eat the right way.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    This is just like me, I haven't dared to step on the scales yet. I've been eating 3-4000 a day binging. :s
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    For holidays, what qualifies as "bingeing"? I had blueberry pancakes, eggs, and bacon on XMas, then when to my sister's and had a midday dinner with pork loin roast, potatoes, veggies, bread, and my brother brought 5 different desserts, and I had a small piece of 3 of them. Since my limit is 1200 plus exercise calories, of course, theoretically I guess that's a "binge", since I didn't even exercise that day, and I'm sure I ate 3000. However, I just assumed, it's Christmas, and back on track. I always assumed a true binge was gorging yourself past satiety on a regular basis. I thought everyone ate more than usual and had extra treats on holidays. Then, everyone goes back to normal eating and exercise. Anyway, I don't stress over it and don't plan on getting on a scale until I've been back at my routine for a week.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    This sounds like the exact story of my month, OP - and I am well aware it came as a result of restricting, too - now I'm battling the urges to go on a crazy detox diet to get rid of all the weight, when I know it will lead to further binges down the line...
  • owenclarke30
    owenclarke30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i knew it was coming, in my case its the alcohol thats the mostly the problem, but i think where i live its a very social thing that has to be done at this time of year so that said i have allowed myself two weeks of not worrying to much whether i go over my 1500 for the day, i still log every day regardless ,ive lost 7 pounds in 25 days so cant complain and have been walking and started the couch to 5k challenge to, im much more aware now of my weight and health thanks to this site
  • purplishblue
    purplishblue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's the problem with starving yourself (you said you ate under 1200 calories a day for months), when you start eating more normal, it induces binging! Trust me, been there done that. Then you get caught in the cycle of going back to restricting, then binging.... seriously its not worth it. For one thing, I would look into why you were starving yourself. It sounds like perhaps you have issues with food? That would also explain the binging.

My advice- eat a much more balanced diet, MORE than 1200. Preplan your day, I find that helps me not binge. Make sure you're eating a good amount of protein, healthy fats, and fiber (these all help you feel full). Also see a therapist to figure out what's behind your food issues.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You cannot uneat all that food, so just move on without the excess, pointless beating yourself up. What's done is done.

Use it as a learning experience and to get a little bit of an idea how you'd like to handle the holidays next year. Move forward. :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    There's a reason all those weight loss and fitness commercials come out in January. :) You are far from alone. Nothing left to do but get right back on that horse! Here's to a great 2015!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd see a doctor. What your describing does not sound like a healthy approach to weightloss. The deprivation and then the binging....it sounds like the start of an eating disorder. I'm no doctor, so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt, but defo go see one.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    For holidays, what qualifies as "bingeing"? I had blueberry pancakes, eggs, and bacon on XMas, then when to my sister's and had a midday dinner with pork loin roast, potatoes, veggies, bread, and my brother brought 5 different desserts, and I had a small piece of 3 of them. Since my limit is 1200 plus exercise calories, of course, theoretically I guess that's a "binge", since I didn't even exercise that day, and I'm sure I ate 3000. However, I just assumed, it's Christmas, and back on track. I always assumed a true binge was gorging yourself past satiety on a regular basis. I thought everyone ate more than usual and had extra treats on holidays. Then, everyone goes back to normal eating and exercise. Anyway, I don't stress over it and don't plan on getting on a scale until I've been back at my routine for a week.

I think most people categorise a binge as when they just eat a huge amount of whatever they want, and go way over calories.
  • shhcher
    shhcher Posts: 84 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    One day itll just click and youll be doing it again. Make sure you log EVERYTHING you eat just to see whats going in your body. I think i missed like 3 days of fully tracking since Christmas. I definatly went over my calories for the day by a lot but I logged. Good luck, were all here for you!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Going back to losing 1.5 a week after what you did is just setting you up for failure again... Try one pound, or even better, half a pound (or in between).