Running Times

Options
2»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My best 10k time is 52 mins, which is 26 mins per 5k, but when I first started out I was doing 64 mins per 10k at race pace. About 45 mins for 6k when training. That doesn't help much really, does it!?
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    mine's about 28 mins for the 5k and 62 mins for the 10k
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    According to my nike + log, my fastest 5k time is 25 mins 37 sec, so I wasn't far off guessing 26 mins.
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thanks, it does help me out a lot to hear everyones times. I can tell NOW that I am not as slow as I thought. I guess I just didn't have an idea of what others running times are. :)

I personal goal is to run it in 30min. It'll take time but I think I can do it. :smile:

Thanks again to all!
    According to my nike + log, my fastest 5k time is 25 mins 37 sec, so I wasn't far off guessing 26 mins.
  • PolyTeine
    PolyTeine Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm a noob at running as well but I ran my first 5k in March, 3 weeks after I started my new lifestyle and my time was 45:02 so the next one I'm aiming for less time than that. I love running but I keep having to take breaks because of shin splints and that's what is slowing me down now.
  • hibbardo
    hibbardo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good on you!
    The first time I tried to run was 20 years ago and about 60 pounds and i had to stop because of shin splints. I've started running again and don't get them - do you do calf raises? This has eliminated shin splints for me.

I weigh 207 and hoping to do a 5k by the fall. Good luck!
  • ecreigh2
    ecreigh2 Posts: 14
    Options
    I agree with everyone here saying that it really just a competition with yourself, pushing yourself to do better and be healthier. Every one of us is different and will peak at a different speeds.

My 5k PR is something like 24:23, but I've been running for 10 years so take that with a grain of salt. When I first started, I definitely was not that fast.
  • drad81
    drad81 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!

I just posted my fastest 7km run of 41 mins which is 5km in about 29mins

When I started I was taking 55mins to complete the 7km (5km in 39mins)
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My PR is 25:59 in the 5k. Which was in October of 2010. I just started back running this week after some foot issues took 3 months off from running and am running about 27:40 in the 5k.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Running is about competing with yourself. Sure a sub 30min 5K is fabulous but its something that I will never ever be able to do so if I spend my time working toward that goal I will always be disappointed over and over again.

My first 5K was 45:19 and although not great to some people... it was better than sitting in the couch. Slow runners are runners too! We should all just strive to do better... whatever better means for us!

I've never run a 5K race, but I have run 3.15 miles, and it takes me about 45 minutes too, with a few big hills thrown in to make it challenging. I think I could do a flatter course a little faster, but right now, not by much. I agree with Emma and everyone else who wrote that it's more important to "compete" with yourself than anyone else. :)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I just started to run and am very slow at the moment, whats the easiest way to keep track of miles done when one is running?
  • teacherkatz
    teacherkatz Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Runners are awesome and they are only worried about their time not yours so i never feel judged cuz when i comes down to it at a race, there are runners who are watching their own time, and there are people on the sidelines, who are just ON THE SIDELINES!
    So true!! Love it!!!!!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I just started to run and am very slow at the moment, whats the easiest way to keep track of miles done when one is running?

I use an app called Run Keeper on my droid. There is a lady that talks to me and tells me my pace, time, and mileage throughout my run. It's awesome. I have her set that she lets me know every .25 miles.

As for the original post, I ran on Sunday to get a time because I have a 5k in two weeks. My goal was originially going to be 9:00 min/mile for my 5k. Sunday I ran an 8:58 min/mile so I am pretty sure I can push out 8:30 min/mile...so that's my goal.

I played ball all through high school but started running in college about 8 years ago. I've never worked on time...just distance. I would up my mileage through my training. But this year, because I've had to use my treadmill more and it bores me to tears, I've been doing intervals and it's really helped me improve my time.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

I use logyourrun.com to plot out my routes on a map, and it tells me the total distance, and marks the diagram with mile markers along the way. :)
  • Mahlissa
    Mahlissa Posts: 128
    Options
    My fastest was 23:06 in August of last summer. My last 5k I ran in October was 23:51. My goal is to run a sub 23 someday, I hope.

I have been busy doing longer distance running this year and plan on picking up on the 5k's again. They are very competitive and fun.

Good luck to you :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!