increasing calcium goal

Options
I am trying to increase my calcium intake. It is listed by percentage, 100%. I am trying to get no less than 1200 mgs as recommended for women. I had one shake and one viactive chew and it already says that I am over my limit. Is there a way to measure it by mgs and not percentage?

Thanks for you help.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can change it, but if 100% = 1200 mg then the math is easy 120 mg would = 10%. You may want to find out what 100% is according to MFP, then it would be easy to figure out the mg. Being over the limit isn't bad for most vitamins and minerals.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Another GREAT source of calcium is Total cereal. FYI
  • walela72
    walela72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way that taking too much calcium causes gall stones. I was taking 1200mg and thinking it had to say 1200%, and had to have my gall bladder removed.
  • walela72
    walela72 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Question, I take vitamins with the mg amount and when entered 300mg shows up as 200%, so this is confusing on what number I need for 1200mg?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take Caltrate. :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Calcium intake is quite controversial. I have been fine for 39 years doing whatever I do and not worrying about it. Usually we extract calcium from any resource and use whats bioavailable. I JUST started having an issue with blood calcium, so I am trying to add food sources. Supplements can be detrimental.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    My doctor warned against calcium supplements. Apparently they are linked to heart problems. It is probably best to get it from food sources.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Collard greens, Kale, Tahini, almonds, broccoli, tofu.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Eat a low strength Tums once in a while.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    barneygood wrote: »
    My doctor warned against calcium supplements. Apparently they are linked to heart problems. It is probably best to get it from food sources.

That's what I was recently told as well. Something about deposits forming in the arterial plaque, leading to atherosclerosis - hardened arteries. I don't take calcium supplements anymore. I just make an effort to get it through food sources. I think it's only a problem when you take calcium-only supplements. I don't know if it just doesn't absorb right when it's by itself, or what. Calcium combined with other things, like Vitamin D or multivitamins, or gotten through food sources, is not a problem.

• ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Collard greens, Kale, Tahini, almonds, broccoli, tofu.

I recently started tracking calcium out of curiosity, and I'm always under, by a LOT, even though I regularly eat the Usual Suspects (broccoli, almonds, etc.) So I'm trying to figure out how to get more, using natural, non-processed sources, without breaking the calorie bank with a bunch of cheese!

Here's a little of what I've found. I've put the MFP amount next to a few of them so folks can see how that works in comparison to mgs. (It's just a percentage out of 1000, or mentally add a "zero" to get the rough mgs)

Tofu, 1/2 cup =183 calories = 258 mg (firm) = MFP "25"

Sesame seeds, 1 tbsp = 52 calories = 88 mg = MFP "9"

Molasses, 1 tbsp = 47 calories = 172 mg (that's for blackstrap; I have no idea if what I have access to is blackstrap or not)

Mustard greens, 1 cup before cooking =15 calories = 64 mg

Whole milk yogurt, 8 ounces (e.g. 16 tablespoons) = 139 calories = 274 mg

(FWIW, lowfat yogurt is listed as having more calcium. I can't figure that out, unless it's added.)

Then there are little things like ...

Flax seeds, 1 tbsp = 53 calories = 30 mg (so sesame is better, at least for calcium)

Hemp seeds, 1 tbsp = ??? (I get different things on that. It either has nothing or 30 mg, like flax)

Figs, 2 dried = 40 calories = 55 mg

One good online source for additional stuff: https://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_CalciumContentOfCommonFoods.pdf

Still looking for more, though!