New and don't know where to start

Options
Just signed up and plan on starting a new way of life tomorrow (again). I have not been on MFP before, but have been struggling with weight issues the last 10 years. Dieting is not new to me, but with the suggestion and encouragement of my doctor, I hope the tools and support on this website help me when the motivation and determination begin to wane.

Replies

• ssaedean
    Options
    Be patient! Your efforts may take a few weeks to show, but are well worth it. Best of luck on your goals.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well you have your new calorie goal, set by MFP based on your stats and goals

Start by weighing on a digital scale everything you put in your mouth ...no measuring cups, no guesswork...weigh everything

Just stick to your calorie defecit and you will be fine - thats it - the only dieting rule you need - eat at a defecit

You can then start to read the pinned threads if you want
  • vlinders25
    vlinders25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will pick up a scale this morning. I thought measuring would be good enough, never thought to weigh everything.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Hi! I second the digital food scale. That has made a huge difference for me. I'm in a similar situation as you with the amount of weight I want to lose and am about half-way now after almost a year. Its a great feeling knowing I finally have this under control. Like rabbitjb said, just make sure you are eating at a deficit (less than your body burns each day during normal activities) and you will lose weight. You can probably start out with the calorie goal suggested for a 2 pound a week loss, but if you find its just not enough food, then change your "goal" on MFP to losing 1.5 pounds a week. Give yourself time to lose. Any progress you make is a step forward!

55835802.png
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale. Weigh and measure everything you eat, that way you can get a feel for where you are starting out. Then start cutting back, not cutting out. For me, it's easier to lose weight by eating smaller portions of the foods I love rather than giving them up and eating stuff I don't like as much... I just end up craving the things I like that much more. And look for healthier versions of the foods you love. Good luck!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Welcome. The best advice I ever got was really to think of this as a marathon and not a sprint. I always "fell off the wagon" with dieting because I'd have a day or week where I ate like crap. I still have those days and weeks. I think everyone does. The important thing is to realize you didn't gain it all overnight, so you won't lose it overnight. Free of time frames, I'm losing faster than I ever have. I also discovered I like cardio exercise. Particularly running.

Try and find some form of movement (running, swimming, walking, biking, weight lifting) that you don't hate. Eat less and move more.

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    My bit of advice? Be mindful of the little things you consume and don't realize it. That spoonful of peanut butter has a lot more calories thatn you think.
  • Krikit34
    Krikit34 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I too started and stopped many times in my life. This has stuck and worked for a year. Just start. Start logging everything.
  • donnysoule
    donnysoule Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    you're going to be surprised how much just being aware of what you're eating will start to influence your intake without thought. I don't remember the last time I picked up something at the grocery store without looking at the health information on the label....
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    vlinders25 wrote: »
    Thank you for your suggestions. I will pick up a scale this morning. I thought measuring would be good enough, never thought to weigh everything.

What did you mean by this??
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

Meaning, OP thought using measuring cups and spoons was enough. Those utensils don't give you an accurate measurement of what your actually eating. Weigh everything!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Take time to read the stickies, which have tons of valuable information. Get the right mindset and know how you will avoid being derailed.

Babysteps with small achievable targets, because you are looking for sustainable deficits that you can keep delivering week on week. Logging and weighing your food is important if you have no idea of the amounts you eat. Oh and dont demonise food and be kind / supportive yourself without making excuses. Good luck.
  • vlinders25
    vlinders25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    logg1e wrote: »

As someone else said, I thought measuring cups and spoons would be accurate. I have also divided prepackaged foods by reading the labels that say how many portions per package and using that calorie count.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you madhatter must be a language thing :) To me, measuring food would imply either weighing or, perhaps, counting units.
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Don’t deny yourself the food you like. If you cut out everything you like to eat, you’ll feel deprived and be more likely to fall off the wagon. When cooking, find healthy substitutes. Applesauce instead of oil, greek yogurt instead of sour cream. Or light sour cream, 1/3 less fat cream cheese, light yogurt, cut out butter, etc.

I have found this works for me. I still eat what I want and/or like, I just prepare it a little differently and eat much smaller portions than I used to. I did cut out drinking beer, I was consuming WAY too many calories drinking. Plus, it’s really not the healthiest lifestyle choice. However, if I want one, I’ll still have one. I just make sure I track in to be sure I’ve got enough leftover calories.