Do you count tea and coffee as part of your water intake?

Options

Replies

• Former_chubby_momma
    Options
    I do not, I track it separately because (at least according to mfp) my chai tea has about 5 calories per bag.
  • TNunraveler
    TNunraveler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I log water only. Water (approx. 72 oz./day) makes me feel so much better that when I'm only drinking coffee coffee, tea (decaf or otherwise), etc. Logging simply motivates me to drink more water. There's something about clicking that water glass icon.
  • Alisonzina
    Alisonzina Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you feel thirsty you are already more dehydrated than you should allow yourself to become. The best thing to do is drink fluids throughout the day and never feel thirsty again.(in a perfect world) Basically taking little sips and small glasses throughout instead of going two hours then chugging four cups at once.

Even nutritionist disagree over the whole tea and coffee as water argument. If you drink a variety of beverages throughout the day you will be fine. It's not really worth worrying about unless you are putting a lot of calories into it (cream/sugar)

Water content in food can affect you obviously you will feel less inclined to drink after eating a chicken breast (60% water) than something dry like toast or crackers but that's kind of common sense.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you are tracking water for health reasons, just go by how you feel and as has already been mentioned pee color. Everything you eat and drink technically contributes to your water intake.

If you are logging to motivate yourself, then just log whatever it is you are trying to accomplish. If you are already drinking a lot of beverages, but want to drink more plain water, then only log actual water. If you are drinking too many calories and want to motivate yourself to drink more zero calorie bev, then log water, unsweetened tea, black coffee, and diet soda. It's really up to you!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Logging simply motivates me to drink more water. There's something about clicking that water glass icon.

This! I don't even need to track my water intake because it's such a habit for me that I drink roughly the same amount everyday but I still like to log it because there is just something satisfying about watching the little cup icon overflow.

I might eat more protein if there was a little chicken to color in during the day.

• TNunraveler
    TNunraveler Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    Logging simply motivates me to drink more water. There's something about clicking that water glass icon.

I might eat more protein if there was a little chicken to color in during the day.

Love this! For me, if there was a broccoli floret to check off...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I never track my water intake. I can tell when I'm getting dehydrated and just drink more fluids. The problem with all your fluids being tea or soda or the like is that those contain other things your body might have trouble with. I mean, soda alone is a big source of calories and sugar you might not be aware of. Once I start tracking, I was surprised by how many of my calories I was drinking. So I swapped out for unsweet tea and G2, and that made no difference to my hydration levels, just my calorie levels. Really, any water-based beverage will hydrate you, just keep an eye on what else it does.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    cocates wrote: »
    I have never counted (or considered) it part of my water intake. I read a post that suggested you could count it.

Please let me know why or why you don't count it. And yes, I've read the links on the myth of tea and coffee dehydrating and therefore shouldn't be counted.

It's like everything people want to do as little as possible while counting as much as possible. What you should be doing is drinking 3 liters of water IMO, I really don't understand why this is so hard... 8 x 8 ounces of water is 1.9 liters that's a 1.5 liter bottle and another glass.... it's really not that hard to do.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have never counted (or considered) it part of my water intake. I read a post that suggested you could count it.

Please let me know why or why you don't count it. And yes, I've read the links on the myth of tea and coffee dehydrating and therefore shouldn't be counted.

It's like everything people want to do as little as possible while counting as much as possible. What you should be doing is drinking 3 liters of water IMO, I really don't understand why this is so hard... 8 x 8 ounces of water is 1.9 liters that's a 1.5 liter bottle and another glass.... it's really not that hard to do.

Because, at least for me, that's getting into micromanagement territory. The more I have to measure and track, the less I'll actually do it. This is because I am lazy and I have other things I would rather do with my time. I know that it's not the best outlook for this site, but you know what? I does work for me, and that's what matters. If a more rigid tracking method works for you, go for it! If it doesn't, but what you're doing helps and is healthy, then don't worry about it.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    All the water you take in "counts" but I only log water as water. I don't count the water content of my food or other drinks mainly because it would be too much trouble. Logging separately allows me to be sure I get a baseline amount.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    moomooz16 wrote: »
    If you feel thirsty you are already more dehydrated than you should allow yourself to become.

This used to be dogma, but recent research by Tim Noakes and others has called it into question. This blog post by Alex Hutchinson sets out some of the issues. Even ordinary marathoners should drink only when thirsty, though elite marathoners have a food and hydration plan that they follow.

If you have a medical condition that requires unusual hydration or makes you insensitive to thirst, then follow your doctor's advice. Otherwise, it's fine to drink only when you're thirsty. Personally, I follow that advice, unless I'm having a night on the town; in that case I'll alternate alcoholic drinks with water, since alcohol (unlike caffeine) is a significant diuretic.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I log my decaf tea as water.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't count coffee as water, but I do count tea because it is an herb..
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

That's total water. 80% of your water comes from food. You only need to drink about a half a liter of water on top of that (if you drink nothing else)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I log coffee and tea as coffee and tea, and only log water as water. :wink: Even black tea and coffee get logged in my diary because I like to track the potassium, and even though I might not be counting it as water, I can see it in there as my overall fluid intake for the day.

Some people count is as water, some don't - do what works for you. Personally, I feel and function much better with my 7-10 cups of water per day, no matter how much coffee and tea I've had along with it.
  • ErinK09
    ErinK09 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    No. I log water as water. Other beverages go under the drinks option I made.
  • MommatoMaddie
    Options
    People are trying to make this more complicated than it really is. Water, by itself, is the best way to hydrate your body. I have a cup of coffee or tea in the morning, and then the rest of the day, I only have water with meals or in between when I'm thirsty. Drinking pop or juice makes me feel gross, so I cut it out from my diet entirely. I feel the best when I only drink water, so that's what I do, and I never track it.
  • jknox2009
    jknox2009 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I log mine seperately, but that's because I like a squirt of honey in my tea and I like to keep track of the calories/sugar. I actually made a custom tab for "Drinks" that I put things like tea and the occasional hot cocoa under (I'm not much of a coffee person).
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

This! I don't even need to track my water intake because it's such a habit for me that I drink roughly the same amount everyday but I still like to log it because there is just something satisfying about watching the little cup icon overflow.

Lol I'd like that chicken too.

• cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Why are you tracking your water? Will counting coffee/tea change your water count a lot? Like, 5-10 cups of tea/coffee? If so, you might want to reevaluate how much tea/coffee you drink.

I think it's a slippery slope. Would you count brothy soups? Watery fruits?

Drink ample water. If you feel dehydrated, drink more. Done.

I try to track my water because it reminds me to drink more water. :smile:

I usually only drink one cup of coffee (in the a.m.) and one can of diet soda or a glass of tea. In general, I'm not a big drinker of anything. Someone from a previous post said that coffee and tea counted b/c they were mostly water.

So, it got me to thinking... :smiley: