DVDs - can they really work?

Options
I live a 25 minute drive from my gym (and that is the nearest) and work very long hours so getting to the gym becomes a real challenge in busy times.

I have a lot of home gym equipment but I like classes and get bored.

So I looked at DVDs.
Now, I don't know if the problem is a) my front room size (average bur not massive), b) me finding it hard to follow the moves on the screen, c) me refusing to pay more than around £5 from chairty shops or ebay for them or d) DVDs being crap but I cannot get a decent workout from them.

I've tried things like Martine McCutcheon, FAME Dance, Pump it Up etc and nothing - I can't feel anything or get my heart rate up.

Opinions on the benefits of DVDs?
Recommendations of any really good ones?

Replies

• stephcorona
    stephcorona Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels and have seen great results with it and the only thing you need is some hand weights. Also if you look on here a lot of people have seen great results from it as well. I have lost not only weight but also inches.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I live a 25 minute drive from my gym (and that is the nearest) and work very long hours so getting to the gym becomes a real challenge in busy times.

So I looked at DVDs.
    Now, I don't know if the problem is a) my front room size (average bur not massive), b) me finding it hard to follow the moves on the screen, c) me refusing to pay more than around £5 from chairty shops or ebay for them or d) DVDs being crap but I cannot get a decent workout from them.

I've tried things like Martine McCutcheon, FAME Dance, Pump it Up etc and nothing - I can't feel anything or get my heart rate up.

I don't go to a gym....DVDs are all I do.........The gym is way overrated and overpriced.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    Try and look up Jillian Michaels dvds on Amazon/Ebay. I can say that I have a couple of her DVDs and they offer a great variety of workouts which are fairly easy to follow and can push you to challenege yourself. I have a limited amount of space available to workout at home but these DVDs are perfect for me!!
  • Sophronisba
    Sophronisba Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Try Cathe Friedrich (www.cathe.com). These are the hardest workout DVDs that I know of--if Intensity doesn't get your heartrate up, nothing will!

You do have to have equipment (mostly weights and a step). But it's a one-time investment and it's worth it, to me, not to have to drive to the gym every day.
  • theresa122
    theresa122 Posts: 10
    Options
    When I was using dvds all the time , I saw great results with The Firm dvds..
  • JustMichelleB
    JustMichelleB Posts: 290
    Options
    I don't go to a gym. I own a treadmill, so I either run indoors (or outdoors, weather and childcare permitting). and I do DVDs several times a week, was doing Jackie Warner workouts, now doing P90X. It works.
  • artvandalay
    artvandalay Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree. Jillian Michaels DVD's are cheap and they really give you a great workout! I am sore after them, but they really make you feel good!

Between DVD's and my treadmill I only workout at home now.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options

So I looked at DVDs.

Do you have a Marshall or TJ Maxx...I hear you can get some great deals on DVDs......plus Jillian and Bob DVDs are at WalMart for under 10 dollars......and YES, they work....IF you use them.......you get out what you put in......
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You can also look up workouts online. Running basically cost no money either.
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Michelle Dozois Peak Fitness Challenge. It has a bunch of HIIT. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=142551612482781&oid=157677410949258&comments that's a link for a preview or go to peakfitchallenge.com LUV.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i've tried p90x and insanity but Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is the best. It's short, not boring, and it gets your heart rate up AND you see changes very fast. I still go to the gym 4-5 days a week but its nice to switch it up
  • jabaa91
    jabaa91 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i have the Claire Richards fat attack dvd, came out 2 years ago i love it! i do agree they get boring though. have a look on www.play.com if you're from the uk they do great deals :)
  • bakersduzin
    bakersduzin Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I only use DVDs as well - I used to belong to a gym, but I got bored there easily and it just wasn't worth the money. Beachbody.com has some great DVD fitness programs, although they can be a bit pricey. I've seen them on amazon and ebay for cheaper, so that might be worth a shot.
  • starboardzor
    starboardzor Posts: 312
    Options
    I wasted thousands on my gym membership, but never actually got results until I went the DVD route. I used to have this perception that DVD workouts don't work, that they were just one fad after another that duped people out of their money. Since I picked up P90X and have seen people's results on here from various DVD workouts, I've definitley been proven wrong. I'll never pay for a gym membership again.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Agree with others about the 30 day shred, I've also used some Davina Mc Call ones which are good, and you can often pick up on ebay for £5 - the 3 3o min workout has a couple of good ones in, but I'm getting better results from the shred, probably because I'm doing it every day.
  • princesslmc2
    princesslmc2 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've been using DVD's for a year. I'm personally a fan of the Beachbody DVD's.... TurboFire, ChaLEAN Extreme, P90X, Hip Hop Abs - though the first two are my all-time favorites.

Check out a local library for some to test out before you buy!
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    Ditto the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - I did it for 10 days a couple of months ago and had amazing results - then I fell down the stairs and hurt my knee/ shoulder but an back on it now. Her moves are simple yet get your heart rate way up. Plus they are in 25 minute sections so easy to fit into your day.

I also tried the MoS DVDs and whilst I liked the music the people just annoyed the living daylights out of me!

My friend swears by the Davina DVDs - maybe give them a try?
  • krisvtx8777
    krisvtx8777 Posts: 163
    Options
    I would say they work! I've lost 47 pounds doing mostly DVD's I started out with just light exercise Leslie Sansone walking DVD's. Now, mostly just Jillian Michaels workouts. I alternate between about 4-5 different Jillian DVD's. I do 25-45 min about 5-6 days a week. I work out in my bedroom and my space is very small. It's just enough room to do what I need to do. But it works just fine.
    I like working out at home, then I never have an excuse why I can't. :wink:
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I only use DVDs and I have had great success. I have 30 day shred, but my preference is The Firm workouts. (Favorite instructors: Allie, Allison, Rebecca, Kelsey. I CANNOT STAND Emily.)
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I use Jilian Michaels 30 Day Shred and Leslie Sansone's 3 mile Boot Camp. I also do Zumba when I get bored. I have the Jackie Warner DVDs but they are still too much for me to handle yet.