Getting married

Options
Hello all! I am new to this app, and really am dedicated to my weight loss. I have no will power. I could sit and eat a whole bag of chips and not even break a sweat! I'm horrible. I am the heaviest I have ever been, and I am getting married in the spring of 2016. I just don't want to look like a blimp walking down the aisle. So I'm here and am going to kick butt!!

Replies

• paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I know you can do it! :-)
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    At least you didn't wait until 2 weeks before the wedding to post this like most threads.
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    beachgod wrote: »
    At least you didn't wait until 2 weeks before the wedding to post this like most threads.

Hahaha I always see people posting on Yahoo! Answers "wedding is in two weeks and need to lose 20 lbs!!"! Sigh
  • Lathrkay07
    Lathrkay07 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm also looking to lose for my wedding! Mine is August of this year and I'm hoping to lose around 30 pounds. Feel free to add me and we can keep each other motivated for our big days!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Best wishes on your upcoming marriage.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    Lathrkay07 wrote: »
    Hey! I'm also looking to lose for my wedding! Mine is August of this year and I'm hoping to lose around 30 pounds. Feel free to add me and we can keep each other motivated for our big days!

Once I figure out how to add you, I definitely will! Lol told you I was new to this. Congratulations on your marriage as well! I'm looking to lose around 50lbs before our wedding in April of 2016.
  • Soon2BeMrsSherriff
    Options
    And thank you all for the encouraging words. No I'm not trying to lose all this weight super fast. I have done that before and I have always gained it back plus more. I truly believe it is a life changing thing that can't be done overnight.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    First of all, consider the tax implications of marriage. For many couples, marriage comes with substantial tax penalties if both spouses have jobs. It's even worse if you get a subsidy under the affordable care act.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to this app, and [1] really am dedicated to my weight loss. [2] I have no will power. I could sit and eat a whole bag of chips and not even break a sweat! I'm horrible. I am the heaviest I have ever been, and I am getting married in the spring of 2016. I just don't want to look like a blimp walking down the aisle. So I'm here and am going to kick butt!!

Welcome!

I suggest that you read this post: "A Guide to Get You Started…"; it has lots of great advice.

I noticed a contradiction, or at least a problem, in what you posted, in bold above. #1: You're dedicated. #2: You have no will power. Both of those can't be true: until you develop the ability to say no to your urges, you may want to lose weight (or, more accurately, to have lost weight), but you're not dedicated to it.

Weight loss is all about self-control. If your public library has Dr. Yoni Freedhoff's book The Diet Fix, I suggest that you check it out. He discusses techniques that have successfully helped his patients lose weight, while addressing their setbacks and hangups too. Another useful resource is the website of the National Weight Control Registry.

You can do this, but I won't sugar-coat things: it's hard. Don't call yourself names for gaining weight; most of us on this site were once in your shoes. Focus on your successes, and don't let a few setbacks make you give up. Good luck!

34527787.png
  • ashxo12
    ashxo12 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I just got engaged and was looking for a little support as well! Especially with getting back to the gym! Any friends would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hello! I recently started a group for brides to be, you're welcome to join! Bride Buddies 2015-2016.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/101024-bride-buddies-2015-2016
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    For some inane reason these "losing for the wedding" topics always get my interest. I've read a bunch of them:

The one where the bride waits until way too late to start losing weight.

The one where the bride was doing well until right before the wedding when all the parties started and now she's too bloated to get into her dress.

The one who ordered her dress in an smaller size because she knew she'd lose that much, but of course she didn't, and now it's too late to order a larger size.

You are starting in time to avoid all that trauma and drama. Good for you.

And congratulations!