Options
    Oh, honey.

Just get Spanx.

It's one day.

By the way, congratulations!
  • Meli311ssa
    Meli311ssa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's opinions, which is exactly why I asked for them! I did want to say that it's not "just for one day" as is this a lifestyle change, not an extreme diet. And my wedding isn't stressing me out in the slightest, so no worries about the "stress of planning a wedding." I realize we are all different, have different goals, are hungry at different calorie deficits, etc. I was just wondering what is realistic and realize what is realistic for me might not be for you, and vise versa. I would be happy to post an update after my wedding in 61 days!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When they say up the weights they mean weights as in lift heavy not reps as in lift more at a light weight

But congratulations on your wedding and your attitude

You got this :grinning:
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    One you keep to. There is no matter how hard you try no body will do it that fast (like 100 kilograms in a week) as in impossible/implausible. However what is a realistic goal comes down to figuring out how and sticking to that plan.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Oh, honey.

Just get Spanx.

It's one day.

By the way, congratulations!

Spanx are evil! I say lose the weight or let it be free.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    10 pounds is realistic.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Meli311ssa wrote: »
    I was just wondering what is realistic and realize what is realistic for me might not be for you, and vise versa. I would be happy to post an update after my wedding in 61 days!
    1% per week is healthy to aim for but your body might have other plans, especially if you really upped the strength training and other exercise. But you'll look better and feel better regardless so don't let the scale be your report card. Good luck!

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    to work toward something even bigger at a date after the wedding.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ~5 lbs is realistic imo. I personally would not be wanting to aggressively diet at the same time that I was dealing with the stress of planning/preparing for a wedding.

^ This is important. See bold.
  • kittkat100
    kittkat100 Posts: 19
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You an lose 5 pounds a month for next 2 months (or more importantly lose the desired inches.) I think you will do it and feel fantastic. It does call for calorie deficit but you won't be starving. It is not too aggressive for a short term goal.
    Just keep in mind, no matter what you weigh on wedding day...you will be gorgeous and happy and your groom will think you are the most beautiful woman he ever laid eyes on.

Congratulations on the wedding!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You've made a great start already, just keep on going and you'll shed a good few lbs, 10 should be doable in your time frame. A reasonable rate of loss is 1 to 1.5lbs/week.
    Wishing you all the best ☺
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Meli311ssa wrote: »
    Right now I am a 30 year old female, 5 foot 5 and 155 pounds. I am getting married in 62 days. I'd like to weigh 140 pounds on my wedding day because I know I look and feel healthy at that weight.. Is this a realistic goal, and if not what is? I am working out 5 days a week for 45 minutes to an hour (mostly cardio but also some light weight lifting) and eating a deficit of 300 to 500 calories in addition to my exercise regimen.

You'll need an overall deficit of ~1000 calories/day. Whether or not that is realistic will depend on your ability to stick to it.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    well, this is the site i use to look at how many calories i need for either maintaining, losing or gaining, and it shows per amount each week you prefer to lose.
    http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
    And then the other part of the site shows ALL of the formulas to show what your weight should be and you can choose out of all of them what you prefer as ideal weight.
    http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weight-calculator.html
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    ~5 lbs is realistic imo. I personally would not be wanting to aggressively diet at the same time that I was dealing with the stress of planning/preparing for a wedding.
    I think I'd find dieting a welcome respite from wedding stress. And I'd worry more about looking chubby in my photos, so I'd probably diet. Aren't most plans final by the last month or two anyway? Dieting off a few excess pounds is just part of the pre-wedding experience. ;)

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    You'll need an overall deficit of ~1000 calories/day. Whether or not that is realistic will depend on your ability to stick to it.

Wrong. The proper deficit for a woman who's 15 lbs. overweight is .5 lb. or 250 calories per week. The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off—that's just the way the human body works.

Please don't tell women to eat 1,000 calories per day less than they burn—much less imply that if it's their own fault if it doesn't work.

OP, if you want some sound advice that's helped hundreds (if not thousands) of MFPers to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way, then please read http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants (It's pinned in the "Getting Started" forum.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    to work toward something even bigger at a date after the wedding.

BAM!
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Wrong. The proper deficit for a woman who's 15 lbs. overweight is .5 lb. or 250 calories per week.
    The only place that's considered the only 'proper' way to lose the last few lbs. is by a few vocal people here. There's nothing dangerous about running a 1000 calorie deficit. If someone has a near term deadline and aims for a 250 calorie deficit per week, odds are excellent they will achieve no deficit because that small an amount is eaten up by measurement error. May as well aim for 1000 and achieve 500 and lose a pound a week.

The sexypants advice is aimed at people aiming for a long, slow loss under the theory that it minimizes LBM loss, which in itself isn't proven. Not everyone has that goal. Some want to lose faster and fit in a dress for an event and some don't believe that long, slow losses have any great advantage. Studies don't show it does.

It's fine to choose 'long and slow' but I don't think it's fine to tell everyone that's the only proper way to lose weight.

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    If you can lose 10 lb you'll be lucky. I tried to do that when I got married and was miserable. Just lose enough so your dress isn't tight and if you don't, like the lady said, get Spanx.

Then work on your goal after your honeymoon - for yourself. Your hubby to be is obviously besotted with who you are now.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »

Wrong. The proper deficit for a woman who's 15 lbs. overweight is .5 lb. or 250 calories per week. The less you have to lose, the more slowly it comes off—that's just the way the human body works.

Please don't tell women to eat 1,000 calories per day less than they burn—much less imply that if it's their own fault if it doesn't work.

Great, another shoot first, read second Beavis dragging their own dieting baggage into other people's conversations...

I didn't tell her to do anything. All I said was that to reach her goal she's looking at 1000 calorie/day deficit. Whether that makes sense for her or not is something only the OP can know.

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You knew full well the OP is 5'5" and 153 lbs. And this thread has hundreds of views—including newbies who don't yet have the knowledge required to read between the lines.

So mic-dropping "Eat 1,000 calories less than you burn" is potentially dangerous.