How much sodium do you eat?

Options
I am curious what other people have as their max sodium set at. My MD suggested I should try to stay under 2000 mg daily. I have been staying under that but still notice finger swelling. I know that it is from the sodium because a after a day I barely have any sodium the swelling isn't there.

Anyways, just wanted to know where everyone else draws the line. I think I may lower my sodium goal.

Replies

• ourtruelovewillneverdie
    Options
    I try to stay under 2300 mg.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I would be concerned about the accuracy of the sodium entries in the database, you may be eating more than you think.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I'm consistently under 2,000 according to the database, but I can tell if I have too much. One Chinese take out can put 5lbs of water on me easily.
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I used to be consistently over 3000 but since I moved and have a kitchen I stick to around 2000-2300. It depends on what I eat that day and sometimes I won't suspect the sodium count until I log it later, once I week I get Popeyes though and then I'll be 3000+ and gain two pounds of water weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    I would be concerned about the accuracy of the sodium entries in the database, you may be eating more than you think.

I have been tracking by nutrition labels, not mfp entries.
  • hoktauri
    hoktauri Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring and weighing?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    According to my MFP report, I am averaging out to about 2000 a day. I try to stay under 2300 but don't really worry about it.
  • bobbie1965
    bobbie1965 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    that's a tough one..they have sodium in just about everything!, so it just not table salts it the sale in foods too that ad up!
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    3,000-5,000. I don't really understand the 2,300 recommendation because it does not account for caloric intake or height/weight. How can a five foot woman and a six foot man have the same sodium limit? If I ate 1,200 calories a day, it would be easy to stay under 2,300, but I eat twice that.
  • elphie754
    Options
    hoktauri wrote: »

Yes. Although this has nothing to do with my question.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Yes. My MD has me drinking 120oz a day since due to a medication I was chronically dehydrated.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Yes. My MD has me drinking 120oz a day since due to a medication I was chronically dehydrated.

No answers then, as water retention is the bane of my existence. I try to always keep sodium below 2300 but sometimes a french fry has to happen.
  • elphie754
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

No answers then, as water retention is the bane of my existence. I try to always keep sodium below 2300 but sometimes a french fry has to happen.

Lol. I give you credit that you are able to eat just one :).
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm under 1,500. Some days I'm over 4,000. Just depends on what I'm eating that particular day. I honestly don't pay that much attention to it - I know that if I go way over 2,000-2,500 I'm going to retain some water, but I don't have any medical issues that necessitate me being careful about sodium, so if the worst that happens is that I'm a bit poofy for a day or so, then I can deal with that. I figure as long as I'm not way exceeding that range ALL the time (and, I'm not - it typically happens only if I eat a restaurant meal or some kind of pre-prepared processed meal like a Lean Cuisine or boxed mac and cheese, and that's definitely the exception rather than the rule for me) and I'm consistently drinking enough water (I am) then no biggie.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Most days my intake (according to MFP) is between 1000 and 1500mg. It's higher if I eat out or have canned soup or broth.

I don't really have a maximum set, but if I were averaging over 2000mg a day, I'd probably try to cut back.
  • sisswright
    sisswright Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    keep it below 1500 and lots of water!! the less sodium the better, another hint my PT gave me was to make sure you get more potassium in your body than sodium! And Lots of water-- lol!! :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My goal is 2300 but I usually go over that.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Mine is just the standard 2300, but usually I end up consuming about half of that, sometimes even less.