Starvation mode?

I keep hearing mixed things about this, is it a real thing or not?

Replies

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    No, no its not
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    as discussed on MFP, AKA eating below 1200 will put you in starvation mode = myth …

chronic underrating of say 0 to 500 calories per day for a long time is a real thing, although some may not call it starvation mode and may refer to it as metabolic damage...

end thread /
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    It isn't, at least not the way people use it here.

With extremely large deficits, your weight loss can be slightly less than predicted due to adaptive thermogenesis. You absolutely can not gain weight by eating too little.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    maybayokay wrote: »

Why the question? How much are you eating per day that generates discussion about starvation mode?
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Well, it is real but you have to eat way under for a long time, weeks. No worries on a reasonable calorie deficit or the occasional fast day (for ethical reasons or your preference)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

More important question - how are you going to decide if it is or isn't? You've already heard both sides...
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Agree with most: starvation = very low calories for a long period of time. I'm not sure why "mode" is tacked to the end of this.
  • maybayokay
    maybayokay Posts: 4 Member

Why the question? How much are you eating per day that generates discussion about starvation mode?

I was just curious, I've seen a lot of people rolling their eyes about people who believe in it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Here's a good link re;starvation mode.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Different people are going to tell you different things. If I were you I'd see what the experts had to say and make your own decision. Give this a read and decide for yourself:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html/#more-9313
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member

I was just curious, I've seen a lot of people rolling their eyes about people who believe in it.

It's mostly because it's something that has been talked to death and beaten with a stick. If you do a search for 'starvation mode' on here you'll get 100 pages of results.
  • maybayokay
    maybayokay Posts: 4 Member
    sheepotato wrote: »

It's mostly because it's something that has been talked to death and beaten with a stick. If you do a search for 'starvation mode' on here you'll get 100 pages of results.

Ohh okay, see I'm new to looking at the forums. I can understand why so many get annoyed when certain things are mentioned if its been talked about so much

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    sheepotato wrote: »

Ohh okay, see I'm new to looking at the forums. I can understand why so many get annoyed when certain things are mentioned if its been talked about so much

Some are more tolerant; others… not so much. Many here fail to remember that new people join this site every day and may not know how to search the forums. Don't take it personally.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member

I just visited this site. Some parts are LOL funny.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Starvation mode is real, but the idea that a person can eat so little that they stop losing weight is not.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    rosebette wrote: »

I just visited this site. Some parts are LOL funny.

What parts?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    starvation mode is a myth, but metabolic adaptation is something to be conscientious of.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member

OP read about adaptive thermogenesis. Your rate of loss may slightly slow down, but you won't stop losing from under eating.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3673773/
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    LOL - I just read a post on a previous thread that this phrase was their top one to ban for 2015.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    LOL - I just read a post on a previous thread that this phrase was their top one to ban for 2015.

Well it does not really refer to healthy dieting for sure in the real world but some just talks about it slowing down metabolism rate.

The end results of real starvation mode is DEATH.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member

Well it does not really refer to healthy dieting for sure in the real world but some just talks about it slowing down metabolism rate.

Gale you ole' sod !1!!!1. Long time no see!!!!!
    Tell me. How are they hanging?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Odes!!!!!! My love!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »

Odes!!!!!! My love!
    Lis, my darling. Be gentle, as the banning/unbanning disoriented me somewhat.

• This content has been removed.