Nutribullet questions

Options
Hi, I got a Nutribullet for Christmas because I have been having fruit smoothies for breakfast every day and wanted something better than my blender to blend them. I am reading the book it comes with and it is a weight loss program which suggests buying something called a "fat burning super boost" powder. My questions are:
a) is the super boost powder worth the money? Does it actually work or is this just a gimmick? Does it taste good or can you even taste it?
b) does it taste gross to add greens to my smoothies? I am a traditional fruit smoothie girl and have never tried it so I am a tad skeptical.
c) can the nutribullet process carrots and other hard vegetables?
d) should I follow the program laid out in the book? It sounds really restrictive and I am not sure I can handle it, but on the other hand I really want to lose weight!
Thanks for any help you guys can offer!!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    A) scam. Run far away fast!

B) depends on the type of greens and how much you add.

C) not sure. Does the manual say anything about them?

D) no. All you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I don know about the boost powder.

I add greens to my smoothies everyday. Usually spinach. I love it, but you can definitely taste them.

Yes the nutribullet can process carrots, frozen fruit and whatever else you throw at it.

I wouldn't use a "diet" program I got in a pamphlet for a blender.

Good luck!
  • katiej080810
    Options
    thank you! I just deleted the super boost powder from my amazon cart. I don't like the idea of the diet program either, it sounds too restrictive. But I will try some of the recipes. :-)
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You don't need no "booster" if you are adding good stuff already. Maybe some some chia or flax seeds and maybe protein powder but nothing else!
  • 30togo2
    Options
    I have a Nutri Bullet. The smoothies are really great without the powder. I agree with the others. There are plenty of great foods to put in a smoothie to make it really healthy. I find the key is to keep it simple. One of my favorite smoothie recipes: ⅓ c. fresh spinach, ⅓ c. fresh pineapple, ⅓ c. plain 2% yogurt, ½ ripe medium size banana, ½ - ¾ c. skim milk, ½ c. crushed ice. This is light green, tangy and tropical smoothie that's really great. The bullet will chop anything, you just need to cut things like carrots in smaller chunks. Finally, there are lots of things you can add to make smoothies smooth, such as Tofu, cottage cheese, yogurt (plain, not flavored), avocado, banana, cooked or uncooked oatmeal/steel cut oats, ground flax seed. If you can eat it, you can smoothie it. Just use a small amount, a couple Tablespoons of seeds and grains or ¼-⅓ cup other stuff. Good luck
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I am in the exact same boat as you!!! I also received a Nutribullet for Christmas. Until now I've been making them in the blender too. So far I've made a few smoothies with it, I'll try to answer your questions as best I can :)

a) Not sure about this one - what is the super boost powder exactly?? I haven't seen this in the book then again I didn't read it in detail. If you're referring to the boosts (chia seeds, flax seeds, acai, gogi berries etc) then those are added in such small amounts that you won't be able to taste them, but they add additional fibre and nutrition.
    -
    b) It doesn't taste gross to add greens to smoothies. Try adding a few leaves of baby spinach (they have a really mild taste) and go up from there :) I promise you won't be able to taste it.
    -
    c) can the nutribullet process carrots and other hard vegetables? If you have the 900 series absolutely. The 600 watt one should be able to as well.
    -
    d) Don't do the program in the book, you're right that it's restrictive, just use the recipes and have a smoothie or two daily and you're good. That's what I'm doing
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I don know about the boost powder.

I add greens to my smoothies everyday. Usually spinach. I love it, but you can definitely taste them.

Yes the nutribullet can process carrots, frozen fruit and whatever else you throw at it.

I wouldn't use a "diet" program I got in a pamphlet for a blender.

Good luck!

Try using baby spinach instead of regular spinach. It has a much milder taste.... that's all I used until I got regular spinach against my will ... definitely a difference.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I use the superfood boost powder simply because it is chia, goji, cacao, and maca and I would be adding some of those separate any way. I do want to add some flax seed. I have been having a terrible time getting smoothies that are actually smooth, not watery and chunky, and that taste good!
  • Catherine802
    Options
    Having one now as I read ... 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 banana, 1c of frozen tropical fruit, walnuts and water (sometimes do coconut water). This is in my tall cup and only 263 calories :smiley:
  • Catherine802
    Options
    oh and ice and I like to make it like a slushy
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    OH....its a blender!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    OH....its a blender!
    It would be more fun of it was a little vitamin bullet you were supposed to shoot people in the butt with.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I add baby spinach to smoothies. Can't taste it at all.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I've been adding baby spinach to our fruit smoothies for a long time and nobody has noticed. I add baby spinach, cold cooked oatmeal and unflavored protein powder to my breakfast smoothie... it all just disappears under the fruit flavors. Have fun.
  • prof10000
    prof10000 Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The Nutribullet is an excellent value for making high nutrient juices or "smoothies" where you get all the nutrients and the fiber. Back in 2012 I bought a Breville juicer where it would process fruit and vegetables and use a process that separates the juice from the fiber. You got a nice container of fresh juice (fruit and /or vegetables) but the fiber went into separator that was thrown away. What a waste of high nutrient fiber. The Nutribullet grinds up all that fiber into the smoothie and you drink it. What a great way to get all your fruit and vegetables.

You will find that if you are new to using this type of machine you tend to have fruity concoctions but with time you tend to shift toward more vegetable dominated smoothies. Vegetable rich smoothies are not like normal, off the shelf, processed vegetable drinks which are loaded with sodium. A 8 ounce V8 juice is, as I recall, 480 mg. of sodium, which is 20% of the recommended daily value. And it is loaded with sugar for flavor. If vegetable smoothies are bland you can spice them up with a few pieces of ginger or tabasco sauce. I also find that bananas that are not past their time but close should be pealed and thrown in the freezer in a Ziploc bag. Breaking them in half before freezing allows you to add the banana half which chills the contents like an ice cube, and thickens the smoothie. Of course, you have to enjoy the banana flavor.

You also may know how good kale is for you but if you've ever tasted it the bitterness is pretty hard to swallow. With the Nutribullet you just blend it into your smoothie. I routinely make up a smoothie with Kale, spinach, flax seed, walnuts, almonds, peanuts, tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, and will throw in a half a frozen banana or a greek yogurt cup, or a halo orange. Cinnamon is another great way of adding a sweet flavor without causing you to have glycemic problems. Watch the nuts because they are calorically dense.

Bill
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Cacao powder has some good macronutrients. Can't speak to maca. Chia seeds are a great source of Omega 3's. So is flax seed.

Add the greens--toss in carrots, apple, berries or pineapple and you'll never taste it. And raspberries make even the greenest smoothie red. :smiley: