Decrease in appetite after reducing carbs

Options
Does the reduction in carbs lead to an overall decrease in appetite? Or does this sound too foolish. I need to feed my body after workout but dont seem hungry at all.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's individual? Lowering the carbs does nothing for my appetite, but eating more protein and fat does keep me full longer.

Interested in hearing what others have to say. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For some people it seems to. Your issue may be more related to timing, though--depending on the type of workout sometimes I'm not hungry at all afterwards.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I wonder if it's individual? Lowering the carbs does nothing for my appetite, but eating more protein and fat does keep me full longer.

Interested in hearing what others have to say. :)
    When you lower carbs, by definition, you have to increase protein and fat or you won't get enough calories. So, yeah, that's why you're full longer.

• BonnieandJack1
    BonnieandJack1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not getting enough calories as I try to keep down my salt and sugar intake. Any suggestions as to what foods I should consider to raise calories while keeping salt and sugar down?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm not getting enough calories as I try to keep down my salt and sugar intake. Any suggestions as to what foods I should consider to raise calories while keeping salt and sugar down?

Avocado
    Nuts
    Beans/legumes (dry or canned without salt)
    Whole grains
    Starchy vegetables
  • jo7777777
    jo7777777 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

High protein foods such as chicken breast, low cal milk, egg whites etc. might help.
  • minadee
    minadee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Same for me. Reducing carbs has curbed my appetite as well.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    If you are actually low-carbing (under 50g carb/day) you will go into ketosis. Ketosis suppresses appetite.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The more carbs/sugar I have, the more food I want! :(
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    If you lower carbs and don't replace those calories with anything else, then it won't have that effect...but replacing some of those carbs by increasing protein and fat should increase the feeling of satiety when you eat.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    If you lower carbs and don't replace those calories with anything else, then it won't have that effect...but replacing some of those carbs by increasing protein and fat should increase the feeling of satiety when you eat.

^^This. I don't really limit my carbs that much. I try to keep them between 100 and 150, but I don't consider myself to be on a low carb eating plan as I am not that strict about it. I do notice on days I eat less carbs I tend to eat more fat and protein. It just works out that way. And I am usually less hungry when my protein and fat is higher for the day, yes.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    sour cream, butter, olive oil, full fat cream cheese, whole milk, avocados, nuts -- good luck.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    jo7777777 wrote: »
    Does the reduction in carbs lead to an overall decrease in appetite? Or does this sound too foolish. I need to feed my body after workout but dont seem hungry at all.
    It makes perfect sense. Some people are sensitive to carbs and lose weight by keeping them lower and raising protein and fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jo7777777 wrote: »

working out makes me not feel hungry and I have to force myself to eat some protein .. just cos
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delicious and if I'm not eating them, there isn't much else that's appetizing. ;)

Carb-centric foods include fruit, vegetables, grains, pasta, bread, cereal, and legumes. That's all the good stuff, to me.

Mileage varies, lots of people find a steak more appetizing. I like steak, too. Oh, and butter! Butter is lovely....especially slathered all over a nice piece of homemade bread.

This is why I don't even attempt to cut out a macro category. ALL THE FOOD!