21 day challenge

Options
Starting 1-1-15

No chocolate, candy, biscuits, cookies, pastries, white bread, chips, fast food, soda or icecream.

For 21 days.

Wish me luck.

Replies

• craft4fun
    craft4fun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nice encouragement. Thanks
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Why deprive yourself?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    You won't find much support on here for attempting to cut certain types of food from your diet. Is your goal to stop eating those foods for good, after the 21 days? To begin to eat them in moderation after your 21 days? Why 21 days? What are you hoping will happen if you don't eat biscuits for 21 days?
  • craft4fun
    craft4fun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Just a jump start to eating more healthy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "jump starts," but I think cutting out foods that you use as a crutch or eat too much of for a while can be part of putting together a healthy diet, if it's something that you think would be helpful. Just remember that the more important focus is on what you do eat.

Good luck!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    craft4fun wrote: »
    Starting 1-1-15

No chocolate, candy, biscuits, cookies, pastries, white bread, chips, fast food, soda or icecream.

For 21 days.

Wish me luck.

What is wrong with any of those foods?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

You really don't need a jump start. Besides, you can eat those foods as part of a "healthy" diet (using this word to mean dietary intake, not a weight loss plan).

Side note: does anyone else see a gate with a keyhole over one of the posts in this thread? What does it mean?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Not eating those foods will not make you healthier. Health is about the total context of a diet. Now if you binge, it's a great reason to get rid of those food but otherwise it's just unnecessary. And realistically, if you get the majority of your calories from whole food sources, then why limit these foods?

The first thing I would recommend is buy a food scale. Second would be logging daily, and third would be getting a majority of foods from lean proteins, fruits, veggies and other nutrient dense foods.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    If you have a problem with overeating... a chronic problem where you find yourself out of control, doing something drastic like this isn't likely to result in a lasting change. Taking small steps that you incorporate into your diet one at a time IS more likely to have a lasting impact on your relationship with food.

If there are some particular treats that you have no self control with (for example, I can have the occasional cupcake, but a brownie? No way. I'd eat the whole pan), then eliminate just those trigger foods.

As suggested, log. Buy a food scale and learn proper portioning for food that you can eat in moderation. Make 80% of your diet lean protein, healthy fats, fruits, veggies, and nutrient dense foods. The other 20% can be "treats".

If you don't like a wide variety of those 80% foods, challenge yourself to try a new one of those each week rather than depriving yourself of the moderate portions of the treat foods.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Abstaining usually creates regret and possible cravings which usually leads to the yoyo dieting issues that plague everyone that decides to cut out things they actually enjoy. IF you're NOT going to ever eat those again..........then stick with it. If not, then a more reasonable approach would be better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Side note: does anyone else see a gate with a keyhole over one of the posts in this thread? What does it mean?

I see it.
  • _Naeja_
    Options
    Starting 1-1-15

For 21 days.

Wish me luck.

Good luck! Like someone else said, you won't find much encouragement here for this sort of thing, but I wish you the best of luck!
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Honestly OP, I think you should find ways to focus on what you WILL eat more of starting Jan 1st. By focusing on what you WILL eat, you automatically will slowly reduce those foods without feeling deprived. Also, if those foods make up most if your intake currently, then cutting them out will definitely produce weight loss but you will be miserable and the weight will be so hard to keep off (that is, if you ACTUALLY end up sticking to it for the full 21 days).

I had this mentality before (I cut out gluten and it DID work! But it was not a way to live - so I started incorporating it back in while maintaining my weight. Fast forward to now, I'm focusing on what to eat and the weight is sure enough coming off slowly but surely. I thried to figure out how to eat more greens in my diet without actually eating greens lol and that's how I came to love green smoothies.