At college, have a great gym but, I don't know how to use it.

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm a student a college and my university just built a new gym that is awesome! Has everything you need! Problem is, I don't know how to use them. My fiance and I tried out the bike and I loved that (don't know how to ride a normal bike, funny fact about me)! But, I want to know what a young woman, like myself, should be using in a gym if she wants to lose 100 lbs. I walk a lot for school but, obviously not enough cause I've actually gained weight while I've been at school. I plan on going to the gym 3 times a week and no less than 2 times.

Any help would be great!
Thanks so much,
Leslie

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ljenkins45 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm a student a college and my university just built a new gym that is awesome! Has everything you need! Problem is, I don't know how to use them. My fiance and I tried out the bike and I loved that (don't know how to ride a normal bike, funny fact about me)! But, I want to know what a young woman, like myself, should be using in a gym if she wants to lose 100 lbs. I walk a lot for school but, obviously not enough cause I've actually gained weight while I've been at school. I plan on going to the gym 3 times a week and no less than 2 times.

Any help would be great!
    Thanks so much,
    Leslie

Who staffs the gym, ask for an induction
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to use the weight room equipment and free weights! Each machine has pictures of exactly how to use that piece of equipment safely and effectively.

For cardio - the elliptical and rowing machine are great places to start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    Weight control, be it to lose, maintain, or gain is all about energy balance...a calorie is a unit of energy...your weight control (in this case, lose weight) is going to be largely about your energy (calorie) consumption, not what exercises you do or what machines you use.

Regular exercise is great in that it is generally good for your overall health and well being...and it also increases your body's energy (calorie) requirements and thus can make sustaining a deficit of energy easier.

Really, anything you do in the gym is going to be better than doing nothing...moving is better than not moving...with anything you choose, you will be burning more calories than you otherwise would. Your burn is going to be far more attributable to the intensity at which you work rather than the actual exercise itself.

I would recommend a good mix of some resistance training along with some cardiovascular work. But really, getting your diet in order is going to have a far more profound impact on your weight control goals than what exercises you are doing.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    What efforts have you made to educate yourself about your gym?
  • jencompton3821
    jencompton3821 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can find workouts on Pinterest!!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You should be doing whatever you want and interests you/is enjoyable, because cardio/exercise is not going to make you lose weight. Being in a caloric deficit will make you lose weight, and when you set up your account you should have been given a starting point target for how much to eat before logging exercise in order to lose weight. Log whatever exercise you do, eat 50-100% of the calories, adjust things up/down based on your rate of loss after a few months.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I would talk to one of the staff and even get a schedule of any classes or programs they have. I work at a university and use their gym. They have excellent trainers and programs (the instructors are more educated about form and nutrition than the ones at my "home gym" because these young folks are all in exercise physiology or nutrition degree programs). Often, you can get a staff person to schedule an orientation to show you how to use various equipment. My university gym also has classes, as well as special fitness programs; usually there is a weight loss or get in shape program in the spring, which is where I learned all about MFP! Having a place to work out at your place of employment or school can be a great boon to fitness; make full use of it - your tuition dollars are paying for it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Ask one of the staff members. Usually most of them are very familiar with the equipment.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Ask staff and use your internet resources, there are great videos out there!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I so wish I had done this in college.

For weight loss, the most important thing is cardio. Hop on a treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, or stationary bike. Start on the lightest resistance/no incline. Try to work up to 30 minutes at a time (could take weeks or longer til you can do that). You don't need to go fast or crank the resistance up until you're ready. Don't compete with anyone else.

You should also do strength training. Ask the staff about personal training. A few lessons will go a long way. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Machines and circuit training are a great place to start because they're easy, but over time you should try some simple free weights exercises as well.

If you have a friend who's in pretty good shape, ask them to take you.

If you're gaining weight at school, you need to track your food intake. That's going to be far more important than the exercise, honestly.
  • MTDDS18
    MTDDS18 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    At my school (which also has a brand new rec center - maybe same university?) students have discounted access to a personal trainer. It may be worthwhile to pay for a session or two just to get a routine mapped out and be shown how to work the equipment you aren't familiar with.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Check YouTube for instructions on the manner to use the equipment.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Look through the course book and see who teaches strength and cardio classes, email them and let them know your concerns and see if they'll talk you through a basic routine.
  • mocha_delight22
    mocha_delight22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You could ask the people who work at the gym or memorize/write down the equipment in the gym and look on youtube or majority of the time with the weight room it's going to have pictures on the machines demonstrating the machine.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Good for you! I so wish I had done this in college.

For weight loss, the most important thing is cardio.

Nooooooo. The most important thing is a calorie deficit.