Swimming lessons?

Options
First, I love the water and I can "swim" in open, calm water for over an hour easily. This is not about being afraid of water or not knowing how to move through it.

I want to try a triathlon, but I am a very inefficient swimmer. For some reason, I get a little antsy about having my head under the water, and then the whole breathing thing seems to be beyond my understanding. My reptile brain keeps reminding me that I am a land animal and need air. I am using an indoor pool at a fitness facility, and working very hard to figure out the whole breathing thing, but I wonder if I would advance faster with a lesson or two. The staff at this facility is quite good, but I don't want to waste my money or their time. Do I need to get a little better in my form before I ask for help, or will help give me a nice bump toward improving my form?

Replies

• Flossiesdoll
    Options
    Get some help. I learned front crawl from scratch about two years ago. I'd never swum it as a child (although I was a good breaststroker swimmer) so I was starting from nothing. Took me about 4 or 5 hours of lessons before I could do a non-stop 50 metre length, and another couple before I could a full kilometre. Since then I've been doing a stroke development class once a week and today I started to learn butterfly. A good coach can spot your bad habits straight away and help you to correct them - and as most triathletes are good on the bike and the running and much less good in the pool, a few tweaks for you should see a lot of improvement.
  • jodster1504
    Options
    Go for it and try a few lessons! A coach will be able to give you tips and and notice things that you can't see. Also, if you're training for a triathlon I would definitely recommend you do a few open water swims because the conditions are completely different. Swimming is my strongest discipline and on my first tri I could hardly breath !
  • DarbiB
    DarbiB Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ditto above. There's tons of triathalon classes/adult swim classes popping up now a days, I've seen them at the Y and my community center.

A good teacher can help, no matter where you're at. Plus the breathing thing is pretty crucial to any good swim, I think getting help could be all sorts of useful.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely go for it, I'm sure that teaching breathing is a, if not THE, major part of what the instructors do on a regular basis. And I agree with @jodster1504 that you need to get some open water practice before the tri. Good luck!!!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've always considered myself a strong swimmer. I grew up at my aunts pool doing all sorts of dumb stuff kids like to do. I got talked into doing a triathlon and when I first started "swimming laps" I knew I was a terrible swimmer. My neck was killing me, I was slow, I felt awkward. Form is critical. I signed up for a clinic at my Rec. It was 8 weeks of one hour lessons every Saturday morning. I learned SO much. Both the TRI's I did were staggered starts in a pool. Even though I was still fairly overweight, I ended up starting fairly early due to my good swim times.

If you are doing an open water swim get practice out there after you are comfortable in a pool. Also whether you are doing the TRI in a pool or OW - make sure to practice in choppy water....it makes a whorl of difference when you aren't the only body swimming in a lane.

Keeping my mind focused was the key to my swim being a success.

Oh...and if your googles leak a bit a few days before your race - GET NEW ONES ASAP. I didn't....and boy did I regret it.

Good Luck!!!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I've taught swimming lessons to all ages. It would not be a waste of time to get some assistance now.
    I hear that you say you are perfectly comfortable in the water, but then your next few sentences seem to contradict that a bit. The face in the water and breathing thing has much to do with being perfectly calm. add in the increased respiration of a workout, and it makes it that much more difficult to be calm with your face in the water.
    Most likely they will have you grab the wall, stretch your body out in a straight line, and just kick with your face in and periodically breathe to the side (one or both). It may seem juvenile, but it works on exactly your issue. Then you can graduate to a kick board.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    most of the adults I've taught were total non swimmers, which may have colored my response a bit.

but if breathing is causing anxiety, braking it down to its simplest components while hanging onto the wall would NOT be a waste of time.

And some kick board work belongs in every swimmers training, might as well through the breathing in to work on it at the same time.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your responses. It seems like a resounding- get some lessons. Thanks all!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Just finished a set of 8 beginners swimming lessons and was extremely proud of myself because I finally got the hang of how to breath doing the front crawl! I swam 25 m without getting that panic feeling 3 times.
    Now all I need is practice.

I also swam 400 m backstroke.

From splashing in the pool to being comfortable enough to go to the pool on my own was well worth the dollars invested in the lessons.

Take the lessons
    Cheers, h.
  • ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Do you live in an area where there is a Masters team? If so, there's the answer!
  • wolf2000
    wolf2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, I did a sprint triathlon a couple years back and my swimming was by far my weakest link. I have since leaned to get my head in the water, but I still can't figure out the breathing. I am hoping to take some lessons this winter in hopes of being more prepared for the swim portion of the triathlons I am planning to do this summer. I know from my first Triathlon that my poor swim played a major role in my overall time. Keeping my head above water in the swim really used up a lot of extra energy. I would definitely recommend getting the swim lessons.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I think it's a perfect idea. It's never too soon to arm yourself with knowledge and experience in order to improve!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am an aspiring triathlete too (I've done duathlons & kayak triathlons) and swimming is my kryptonite. I'm doing a swim program right now with my club and it's been worth every penny as one of the main focuses is on developing an efficient stroke.

If you can, find a coach that does triathlon specific swimming (more reliance on upper body for propulsion than the kick - need to save some for the bike & run!)
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks again! I need to be able to swim a full lap before I can join the triathlon training at the fitness center. However, they do have a masters swim program. The timing is pretty awful, but not impossible. Good to know it might be worth the effort to get there.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    wolf2000 wrote: »
    I am in the same boat, I did a sprint triathlon a couple years back and my swimming was by far my weakest link. I have since leaned to get my head in the water, but I still can't figure out the breathing. I am hoping to take some lessons this winter in hopes of being more prepared for the swim portion of the triathlons I am planning to do this summer. I know from my first Triathlon that my poor swim played a major role in my overall time. Keeping my head above water in the swim really used up a lot of extra energy. I would definitely recommend getting the swim lessons.

Well I would say that was the problem - don't try to keep your head above water! To breathe easy, keep your head down like you're actually looking down your body, and when you breathe aim for the spot your armpit will be when your hand comes back down to the water. So when you start the stroke after a breath, your armpit should be where your mouth just was. I hope that makes sense, I'm a former swimmer but not an instructor :)