Why do Brits still use stone as a measurement?

Options

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have to admit when I think of America, it's USA.
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So if I go to the UK and step on a scale will it read 11 stone or will it show 154 lbs?

It will show stones. Come to Australia and you'll be weighing in kilos

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I just came in to see if this was seriously being asked.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    you know i always always wonder what is it that they teach "americans" in school, i mean it's a whole freaking continent with many many countries but god help us if someone who's not from the U.S refers himself as an american

Your friends seem weird. I don't care if someone from another part of the continent wants to call themselves an American. Seems to me most don't--Canadians certainly seem worried about getting mixed up with us already and most people seem to identify more with their specific country than their continent--but if it's some desire of yours, go for it.

To be honest, it kind of seems more like you don't like that WE use the term "American," but I'm not going to stop using it when it's commonly understood and a legitimate shorter way of saying "someone from the United States of America" just because there are lots of other countries in North and South America. I might if there were a good alternative (and if you gave me some reason to do so), but there's not, since USian sounds dumb.
  • VirtualMaddy
    VirtualMaddy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1312.jpg
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I think Americans and Canadians are comparable to Australians and New Zealanders. Don't EVER call a New Zealander an Aussie or vice versa. The difference being we have an ocean between us. You guys can just hop in the car and drive to Canada and Mexico. That fascinates me :D
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think Americans and Canadians are comparable to Australians and New Zealanders. Don't EVER call a New Zealander an Aussie or vice versa. The difference being we have an ocean between us. You guys can just hop in the car and drive to Canada and Mexico. That fascinates me :D

I used to go to Canada every summer, usually crossing the border at Port Huron, Michigan. Invariably, when I crossed into Canada the border guard on the Canadian side would ask if I had any guns or cigarettes. When I crossed back into Michigan the guard would ask about fruit and sometimes alcohol.

I always thought that was funny--Canadians worried about American guns, Americans worried about Canadian fruit.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I used to go to Canada every summer, usually crossing the border at Port Huron, Michigan. Invariably, when I crossed into Canada the border guard on the Canadian side would ask if I had any guns or cigarettes. When I crossed back into Michigan the guard would ask about fruit and sometimes alcohol.

I always thought that was funny--Canadians worried about American guns, Americans worried about Canadian fruit.

haha B)

your gun laws are the exact opposite to here. They're pretty much banned in Aus. But alas the bad guys still get hold of them. But they're not as easy to get as in the US. I've never seen a gun store in my life or a real life gun!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    your gun laws are the exact opposite to here. They're pretty much banned in Aus. But alas the bad guys still get hold of them. But they're not as easy to get as in the US. I've never seen a gun store in my life or a real life gun!

In WA we carry them.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

In WA we carry them.

That would freak me out :( There's way too many shooting deaths in America! It gets plastered all over our news screens every time it happens :s

• Christine_72
    Options
    We had one mass shooting here back in the 80's. Pretty much straight away they brought in the ban guns law, and we haven't had one since...
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's something they can answer, lol. It's just the way it is. Why do we use inches and feet instead of meters and centimeters like the rest of the world?

Apparently Ronald Reagan is the reason.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Why do Yanks still use Imperial as measurement when the rest of the world uses Metric?
    It's very expensive to switch. It's hard enough to force everyone to learn and use, but the costs involved have made it impractical.

As America falls further behind in industry, it will happen.

Is it? It wouldn't happen overnight, of course, but the move to switch over in a serious way would be a worthwhile expense; it seems so to me, anyway.

My husband is an engineer and he complains all the time about the customary measures and how having to mentally switch back and forth between customary and metric is extremely dangerous and always ripe for expensive screw ups on expensive machinery.

It can be both expensive and dangerous, indeed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gimli_Glider

But life goes on. Some 30 years after the switch to the metric system in Canada I still buy my solid groceries (deli, produce) in pounds, but the milk comes in litres. I fill up the car tank in litres, but everyone wants to know what is the mileage on my new car. My height and weight are always expressed in imperial, but I run in kilometres, and I buy fabric in yards. The weather report goes in Celsius, but when my kid runs a fever is Fahrenheit.

If you think about it, it is good brain exercise. Keeps us sharp. B)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

haha B)

It's different in different places. I spent about forty years living in a place where I knew the city and suburbs very, very well. Never once saw a gun store. Anything else anyone needed, I could say, "Go Here." Guns - legal guns, like you buy in a store - I'd have had no clue, lol. Didn't know anyone who (legally) carried a gun.

Then I moved to a new state and I swear, they're all over the place. Big signs as you drive down the street, "GUNS". All kinds of people carrying them around, all the time. If you're in a restaurant outside the tourist areas, there's a good chance someone is carrying. It's so very different.

I don't view them much differently than a lawnmower blade or fire. It can be dangerous, you have to be careful, but I don't wig out at the sight of it. Of course, the purpose of fire isn't (generally) to kill someone, but it's the same general feeling - caution, keep the kids away, respect the power...just no real fear. My dad was in a war and a sniper part of the time, so he kind of put the fear of God into us as kids about the gun and then helped us get past that when we got older. I remember feeling like that, though - scared to death of the guns. :)
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Officially it's United States of Mexico, United States of Brazil, United States of Colombia, and maybe more I'm not aware of. United States of America is clearly a misnomer since all of the above are in America. That said, it's not going to change and the majority will continue to call this country "America."
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm a Brit and always go off grams and kilograms - but stones and pounds definitely makes more sense than cups!
    Do you weigh yourself in cups? How many cups do you weigh?!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    I haven't read the replies yet...

But I ask myself all the time why Americans still use pounds and ounces etc??????
    We stopped using those back in the 1960's before I was born! Welcome to the metric system guys ;)

Also, there are other countries out there besides America, who also don't "speak American" ;)

you know i always always wonder what is it that they teach "americans" in school, i mean it's a whole freaking continent with many many countries but god help us if someone who's not from the U.S refers himself as an american, i mean if u tell me north america i'll be alright with that but apparently central america/caribbean and south america doesn't count as part of the continent, i've had many conversation with friends they're like ' nooop is only one america and that's USA' :|
    I think I understand the point you're trying to make, about Americans being so arrogant. (Can verify. From America.)

However, to clarify:
    "America" is not a continent.
    South America is not the same continent as North America. They're two separate continents. It is not one big continent with many many countries. It's two big continents with many many countries.

Just sayin'.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Officially it's United States of Mexico, United States of Brazil, United States of Colombia, and maybe more I'm not aware of. United States of America is clearly a misnomer since all of the above are in America. That said, it's not going to change and the majority will continue to call this country "America."
    Most Canucks I know never have. It's always been "the US" or "the United States" or "the States".
    The only time we ever heard "America" was on the New York TV stations.
    We do call you guys Americans though...I never even thought about it until some Brits referred to us as some guests from America, which was technically correct (they knew we were Canadian).
    ETA
    I laughed about the post correcting the imperial gallon though.
    Being Canadian, we were/are influenced by the elephant on our border who can roll over anytime and the old mother countries of Europe, mostly Great Britain. We've always had to convert US gallons, imperial gallons and now the litre. I have wine carboys that are 5 gallon (23 l), and 5 gallon (19 l).
    ...and don't get me started about writing an electrician's license in metric when most of the building materials still come from the US and in practice everyone still uses feet and inches in the trade...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Most Canucks I know never have. It's always been "the US" or "the United States" or "the States".
    The only time we ever heard "America" was on the New York TV stations.
    We do call you guys Americans though...I never even thought about it until some Brits referred to us as some guests from America, which was technically correct (they knew we were Canadian).
    Mexico is "The United States," too.

It isn't like we current Americans named the country. It isn't arrogance. It just is.
  • Bukawww
    Bukawww Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This whole thread makes me smile because I know its dripping with Brits <3 - ADORABLE!!!