Best Activity/Sleep Tracker?

Options
2»

Replies

• SamLD88
    SamLD88 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love my Jawbone UP. I've had it nearly 2 years now (2 in March) and am planning to upgrade to the UP3 (with HRM) when it releases.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    OP ...
    What activities do you participate in? What actual data points are you wanting to track?

Without knowing those simple things, all you'll get is post after post from people saying what they use rather than advice on what device would work for you.
  • skeltonblues
    skeltonblues Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Track my weight, calories and all my activities; steps/exercise/walking/jogging and when I sleep since I'm a light sleeper that would be nice to see and a heart monitor would be great too and need to be compatible with apple products.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Track my weight, calories and all my activities; steps/exercise/walking/jogging and when I sleep since I'm a light sleeper that would be nice to see and a heart monitor would be great too and need to be compatible with apple products.

Do you run? Lift? Zumba? Cycle? Swim?

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I know two products which meet all your requirements, but they're coming in early 2015:
    Jawbone UP3: http://jawbone.com/store/buy/up3
    Fitbit Charge HR: https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr

Edited to say that Charge HR had an early release in some stores. See the Fitbit Users group for updates: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I know two products which meet all your requirements, but they're coming in early 2015:
    Jawbone UP3: http://jawbone.com/store/buy/up3
    Fitbit Charge HR: https://www.fitbit.com/chargehr

Edited to say that Charge HR had an early release in some stores. See the Fitbit Users group for updates: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Neither of which has been honestly and independently assessed yet.

• AlicesNirvanaHealthWellness
    Options
    I got a polar loop with a HRM for Christmas . I had looked at the polar loop vs garmin vivosmart . I like what I got, I don't think anything is perfect. Fitbit charge is nice, but their HRM model isn't out yet. Just other ones to consider
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for the Fitbit Surge which is reportedly coming out in "early 2015"
  • wizsup
    wizsup Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I got the Vivosmart and am happy with it. It has lots of features and inspires me to get up and walk. The sleep monitor works well and shows me that I have a problem. I have lost 8 lbs in three weeks and plan a big walk New Years day. Wife got a Vivofit and it gives her all that she needs - I'm jealous of her sleep patterns. Oops, there goes my Vivosmart reminding me to get up and walk. Bye.
  • djscavone
    djscavone Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had a FITBIT zip that I stopped using as it ate batteries and I was constantly replacing them. It was a basic unit that did step counts very accurate. I then went with a FITBIT ONE as it also was a clip style not wrist and I wanted the feature for tracking activities - a start stop type thing. I can see what steps are for what activity in the log. I am finding that the ONE is not as accurate as my ZIP and I often have to do a reset to get it working again. VERY ANNOYING. Also keep in mind FITBIT does estimates (3 axis velocity system) and is a pedometer. ZUMBA classes, Elliptical exercise systems, and many other "activities" do not register with a fitbit very accurately (I can't speak to the newer models costing hundreds). Active minutes may not show up right and I constantly hear from some friends how frustrated they feel after a few hours of being active in a fitness class yet fitbit looks like they were on a couch all day doing nothing.
  • LexGN
    LexGN Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i got the vivofit for Christmas with the heartrate monitor attatchment. I love it so far. Syncs perfectly with MFP.
  • Dayiscoming
    Dayiscoming Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just adding my 2 cents. I have a fitbit zip and I'm happy with it. Don't have to worry about charging it since it runs on a watch battery. I've gotten about 4 months on the battery. It showed the battery low icon for around a month before the battery actually died.
    I read that the bracelets pick up other movements too and they may not register your steps if you aren't swinging your arms - like if you are carrying things. The one also seems fine except you have to charge it and I heard the stairs thing is glitchy. Clip on is the way to go in my opinion. Bright colors are better in my opinion so it doesn't get lost too. Only the zip has bright colors, but anyway. I've had mine since July. Don't know how the longevity will be, but I have low expectations now adays. Nothing seems to last long. I'll be happy to get a year or 2 out of it. Which is part of the reason I chose a cheaper model. I've not noticed a quality difference when researching fitbits between the cheap model and the higher end models.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I read that the bracelets pick up other movements too and they may not register your steps if you aren't swinging your arms - like if you are carrying things.

I heard the stairs thing is glitchy.

Don't know how the longevity will be, but I have low expectations nowadays. Nothing seems to last long. I'll be happy to get a year or 2 out of it. Which is part of the reason I chose a cheaper model. I've not noticed a quality difference when researching fitbits between the cheap model and the higher end models.

My Fitbit Flex is really accurate. But you're absolutely right—it's entirely a matter of personal preference which Fitbit you buy. Some people can't wear a band at work. And I just know I'd forget to put on one of the clippy styles—or even worse, put it in the washing machine. (I only ever take my Flex off to charge.)

The models that count flights of stairs detect changes in air pressure. Your stats do not affect your calorie burn in any way—it's just intended as a fun bit of motivation.

Fitbit customer service is amazing. Whenever my Flex has stopped working, they've promptly replaced it. (My wrist feels weirdly naked while I wait, though. And I hate not having the data!) I also have a Jawbone UP24 (I'm a data nerd), and it has broken and been replaced the same number of times. Which makes sense, really—they're both tiny computers I wear on my wrist 24/7—even in the shower.

If price is a deal breaker, I bet there'll be lots of barely used activity trackers on the market once the New Year's resolutions wear off! (And plenty of people will sell their old Fitbit Flexes and Jawbone UP24s when the Fitbit Charge HR and Jawbone UP3 are released.)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I am one that doesn't do well with the bracelet and love my fitbit One -- I clip it into my bra and when I change for bed it comes off and goes on my wrist, I set it to track sleep before bed, love the gentle alarm I get in the morning too! Then I turn off the timer when I get up and it comes off my wrist and back on me for the day!

I read all these stories of people losing/washing theirs and I have yet to have either happen in the 1.5 yrs I have had it -- Not to say it doesn't happen just sharing that it has not been my experience!

Good Luck with whatever you decide!
  • mw0cvw
    mw0cvw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivosmart works for me,but some of the features,like dual alarm clock,activity monitor being user selectable would be a good idea.

had the unit for two weeks and completed over 175,000 steps,most days beyond my goals over the Christmas and new year.

Also have the polar FT7 for gym Workouts ,and logging the Calories burned.

I find a combination of both units helps me get to my goals :)
  • srcurran
    srcurran Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I love my Jawbone UP. It works better, for me, than the Fitbit I had bought previously. I don't need a heart rate monitor, but I like how it tracks my steps and sleep.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Charge after reading a lot on the internet and reviews of each one. If they'd had the ChargeHR- I'd have gotten that one (measures heart rate as well), but for a beginner like me, I'm happy with the charge.
  • skeltonblues
    Options
    Awesome thanks so much for the response!
  • skeltonblues
    Options
    Any new ones suggested like the fitbit charge?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My Fitbit Charge HR arrived yesterday. (I got a Jawbone UP in May 2013, and a Fitbit Flex soon after.)

You don't have to put the Charge HR into & out of sleep mode—it just knows! You have to take it off to shower, which'll take some getting used to, but I love the sleep thing already.