Disappointmen

Options
Please I need some inspiration. According to my calculations I should be losing weight but today the scale said that I've gained. I really really want to lose the weight. But I can feel this utter disappointment today adding up to a binge.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. Sodium, TOM, new exercise, stress, and sleep can all lead to water retention. Go out and take a walk instead of giving in to the temptation, or put on a Youtube workout video.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Weight can bounce around. :) So many things can affect it day-to-day. Look for a general downward trend, over weeks, not over a day or two.
  • maceyanglin
    maceyanglin Posts: 33 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Please I need some inspiration. According to my calculations I should be losing weight but today the scale said that I've gained. I really really want to lose the weight. But I can feel this utter disappointment today adding up to a binge.

Open your diary...
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    While those numbers can be discouraging I would agree with all of those that posted on here. Weight loss does equal a decrease in lbs but remember it is a long term strategy. Also keep your eye on experiencing long term fat loss verses weight loss because weight can change with those factors identified here. Fat loss or fat gain is actually about eating 3500 calories above or below. Stay in calorie deficit and ride out any temporary bump up. Binging is a strategy you should avoid.
  • darlingfabulous
    Options
    Beautiful support - thank you thank you zenaxe and LAWoman72 and malibu927
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary to get the best support.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The scale is not the only way you can measure progress. The number on the scale is one piece of information. Take the information and try to figure out why you gained. Do you need to log more accurately? Have you been eating a lot of high sodium food lately? Not the end of everything if you gain a couple of pounds one week.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Age, weight, height, body fat %? How many calories do you consume? Are you exercising, and if so how often, for how long and what type? What do you do for a living?
  • irenemjohnson690
    Options
    I like body measurements. They change sometimes a lot quicker than pounds. See if doing that helps!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    From a glance at your diary, many days, you appear to be eating back all of your exercise calories and then some, going over your daily calorie goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary (started 3 weeks ago), you were over all 5 days I looked. You have very little to lose and logging needs to be tight at that point. Weigh and measure all your food and you will lose. Good luck!
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Looking at your diary (started 3 weeks ago), you were over all 5 days I looked. You have very little to lose and logging needs to be tight at that point. Weigh and measure all your food and you will lose. Good luck!

This too.

Are you weighing your food? Are the recipes in there your own recipes or what's in the data base?
  • charlottemilton
    charlottemilton Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can totally understand how you feel. I have to be careful not to get discouraged easily. I have some health issues one of which causes me to retain water periodically even if I am being careful to do everything right. I have been known to gain 8-10 lbs overnight when my joints swell. Even though I know it is just fluid, it is hard to stay the course. But at the same time I can lose it overnight as well which is really great. I tend to bounce around then hit a new low and bounce around above that then drop again. I encourage you to stay on track. If you are going to binge, then have a planned binge with something you don't normally eat and enjoy. For me this may be an artichoke--it takes time to eat and is yummy. I also have some small very dark chocolate bars with orange peel and almonds that are about 160 calories but I enjoy eating them very slowly and letting the chocolate melt in my mouth.

The weight does come off when it decides to leave you but never in an expected manner. If you are feeling better, looking better, don't trust the scale. Fat has a mind of its own and is mean and evil. It doesn't like to leave. Find and print a big picture of a fat cell and throw darts at it. Teach it you mean business and don't back down from your plan. You will cause that nasty fat to slink away in the darkness of night.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I only weight myself once a week for this reason. Diet and exercise will make a huge difference, up to 6 pounds for some people, in daily weight fluctuations.

Don't let that deter you. Weight loss is a marathon not a sprint. Maybe step on the scale a little less to gain some perspective?

I also tracked my workouts and liquid sodium intake for a while and weighed myself daily to see how much it fluctuated so I could stop freaking out about it. Days after I lifted I had a LOT of weight gain. Sometimes 3-5 pounds. I'm over it now. Usually. :wink:

I take measurements and go by how my clothes fit. Also by having to buy new underwear and sports bras because stuff just falls off or doesn't support. Having to have one hand hold your boobs to keep them from bouncing and another to keep your undies from falling out under your shorts does not make for an effective treadmill workout.

It's about the little things like that. And like having to tighten the star on my heart rate monitor so it fits. And having to up the intensities on the cardio machines in order to achieve the same high heart rate as a few months ago.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You're eating too much

You must be accurate with weighing and logging your food; selections from the database and you should build your own recipes from weighed ingredients.

For exercise don't eat back more than 75% of calories if using machine totals or MFP database ...maybe 50% to start with then you can adjust based on weight