How do you beat hunger?

Options
Hi my name is Joe and i'm new to the forum. I'm once starting again on working myself in better eating habbits. I have failed many times before and would really like to make it stick this time. I went though this when I quit smoking as well I would try and fail over and over again but in time the cravings went away. I'm 5'9 and weighed in this morning to see my starting point and well?... I clocked the scale at 324.6 pounds! My problem is hunger it seems no matter what I do I'm always hungry! If anyone has beat this please share with me I'm done failing damit! I find hunger a worse craving than quiting smoking cold turkey when I smoked a pack a day. On the bright side of things it has been 4 years no with out smoking and those went away but what can I do about hunger? Any help would be great thanks!

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I have some really general tips for hunger that might help:

1. Make sure your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're so hard to stick to. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • uclaxtina
    uclaxtina Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Good for you starting over again. I'm doing the same. This time around, I find it's important to keep healthy snacks around for munching on when i'm hungry. I have some packets of raisins and apples around instead of my usual bag of chips or ice cream.
    I think it's important to set yourself up for success by not keeping those unhealthy foods around because if you see them when you get hungry, you will be tempted to eat them. Also you should look at the types of foods you're eating and find things like oatmeal or foods with fiber that will keep you full longer.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    For me the most important factors are:

1) getting the right blend of protein, fat and carbs in every meal
    2) getting lots of sleep

Have you calculated your MFP calories or TDEE to know what you should be aiming for in your daily intake? If not, start there.
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Well done Joe. I struggled with "hunger" for a long time - and still do. Intermittent Fasting (as in 5:2) helped - not to get rid of the hunger, but to get to know it better and weaken it's power. I do recommend learning some mindfulness skills to help "step back" from hunger - Mindfulness of thoughts - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVRyXFMww8
    Mindfulness of emotions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DeAwXuneE
    Mindfulness and weight loss - http://www.excelatlife.com/downloads.htm#weight

I've sent you a friend request if you want support.
  • Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Wow, congrats on 4 years without smoking!!!! You should be very proud of that.

As for the hunger, I don't have any miracle solutions, but a lot of healthy foods can help curb appetites. Foods that are high in protein can help you feel fuller longer. I'm not a dietician or health expert by any means, but I've found that eating things like Kind bars, almonds, or veggies and hummus in between meals helps a lot. Any my motto is, if it's healthy, it's ok to indulge! So eating "too many" veggies with hummus is ok in my book. If I'm eating something nutritious, it feels more acceptable to me to keep eating until I don't feel those hunger pangs anymore. Better to keep going back for more almonds than more potato chips, I say!

I also think a lot of it is mental. You overcame the urge to smoke, so you know you have amazing will power! I've never been a smoker, so I can't understand what you went through to get to this point, but I know sometimes giving something like that up can lead to taking on other habits, like over eating, to compensate for it. But you overcame one hurdle, so I believe you can overcome the other. :)
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I found my worst time for overeating was at night around 7-9. My doctor told me if it gets to a point like that to always keep low sodium sandwich meat on hand. Roll up 3 pieces and drink a full glass of water. Works like a charm every time, but she also told me if I was going to eat a larger calorie meal to always make it the middle of the day that way I have time to think about it and workout.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    ejcanavan wrote: »
    I found my worst time for overeating was at night around 7-9. My doctor told me if it gets to a point like that to always keep low sodium sandwich meat on hand. Roll up 3 pieces and drink a full glass of water. Works like a charm every time, but she also told me if I was going to eat a larger calorie meal to always make it the middle of the day that way I have time to think about it and workout.

OK this is weird but that reminded me of a great snack that sounds horrible - put some cream cheese on a pickle (kosher dill of course) then wrap some deli ham around it. Mmmmmm..

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Probably your macros are off balance, i.e. too many carbs, not enough proteins and fats, causing hunger.

Everything Dianne said is right on.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    you already received excellent advice. more than anything, too many starches and sweets, not enough proteins and fat causes us to feel hungry and overeat.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    First off, don't be one of those people who set the weekly weight loss goal so high that you end up quitting. Slow and steady is the name of the game if you want this for a lifetime.
    I would eat a large salad with my lunch and dinner to start. Use only 1 tsp of very good olive oil and whatever your favorite vinegar is. There are SO many to choose from that will change up the flavor of the salad and keep it interesting. My two favorites are Champagne vinegar, and red wine vinegar with garlic - but rice wine vinegar is nice too. Again, whatever you like - but a big salad helps to fill you up and keep you full.
    Make sure you eat all your calories every day but do not eat back your exercise calories. That way if you have miscalculated anything during the day then you have a cushion.
    Most of all - LOG!
    I ate real, home-cooked foods every day, and whatever I was craving I ate within my calorie deficit. This is the first time in my life that I've not felt like I was "Dieting" and have sustained the weight loss. MFP is wonderful and best of all it's free.
    I hate the stupid games that people play on here that have nothing to do with weight loss but it is a way to connect with people if you like that sort of thing. I personally prefer to read the help and success stories - they keep me motivated.
    Best of luck - you CAN do this!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    AmigaMaria had some good advice too, except - salads I eat for the veggies, not to help keep me full. You'll have to try it to see if it works for you.
  • awasko1218
    awasko1218 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have a little to add to the "wait it out" strategy...sometimes if I know I have eaten all the calories I can possibly eat for the day but am still hungry, I will try a few things that have worked for me: One I will chug a glass of water. Most of the time, I am not actually hungry...I just know there is a cookie in the kitchen and I want it because it is yummy. lol. Chugging a glass of water makes me feel too full to want that cookie. If THAT doesn't work, I will brush my teeth. Seriously...sometimes if you can just wait the craving out for 10 minutes you will win, and if you brush your teeth, you know whatever you eat will taste gross for at least 10 minutes...so... ;-) and if I'm still going crazy I will leave the house and go for a walk or workout. I look at it as a two-fold move: A) I am burning calories, so maybe if I burn enough, I will "earn" some to eat that cookie. lol. B) I am getting hot and sweaty and buff, so I don't want to ruin that workout with crap. lol. That is my 2 cents about playing mindgames with yourself. :-)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    eat filling foods, beans and soups are great this time of year, peanut butter, cottage cheese,cheddar cheese, lots of protein and fiber
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I found that pre-logging helps me tremendously. I always make sure that I have room in my allotment for snacks throughout the day.
  • Josephfunk
    Josephfunk Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the advise and support you guys and gals are amazing! Finding a way to plan meals with correct macros. I was doing great for awhile there then my knees started to give me alot of problems. When I recovered from that I started agian slowly but life had other plans for me and my wife in the form of her 107 year old great grandma came to live with us. It was a 24 hour a day job for six months and a fight we were not ment to win and we lost her in september. We have since still been trying to work out everything that is the after math of somthing like that. Now life is returning to normal and I'm ready to work on my health again :) My first goal is to break 300 pounds. The best part is now I have a work out partner! I know it's going to take time but I think I can do it.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you packed the cigs in Joe, you really can do this :)
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I found that for me, scaling back the calories bit by bit - a hundred calories every few days - helps my body adjust to the lower calorie count without feeling hungry all the time. I've also noticed that after a week of eating at a deficit, that hungry feeling subsides as my body gets used to the lower calorie intake.

Losing weight can be very hard, but I think the biggest block is a mental one. You can definitely do this!!
  • nzMattO
    nzMattO Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For me I bet the hunger pain by toughening up. I have lost 40kg (88lb) through a program of watching / recording what I was eating, along with an exercise program and a lot of determination.
    In terms of getting past the pains it was literally knowing when I would next eat, and what I would be eating. Until that time there was nothing. I remember a period of about 3 months where I went to bed feeling hungry. Determination had to win.
    Work hard, focus on the goal and you'll reap the rewards.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Calorie counting is 99%of the battle. The notion that almonds and raisins are "good" foods and potato chips bad is all wrong. For some of us, 1oz of almonds is a good snack, because it is very satiating for 180 calorie. But if you are sitting on front of the TV munching almonds, you'll hit 800 calorie by the first commercial and keep on gaining weight faster than you will with potato chips. Set a realistic calorie goal, be honest with yourself and experiment with what type of food and meal timing proviral maximum satiety. Finally, accept that hungry is not the opposite of full. I've lost 50 pounds in 4 months and haven't been hungry once, but I've also rarely been full.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    You want to keep your blood sugar levels fairly balanced (as it is likely you have some form of insulin resistance but you would need to see your doc to get it checked out). To do so, eating a moderate amount of carbs and always balancing them with protein and/or fat. What I try to do is limit my starchy/sugar foods to 30g per eating occasion and always eat it with some form of fat/protein. Starchy/sugary foods are grains, starchy veggies (e.g., potatoes), and things with added sugars. I don't count fruit, beans, or non-starchy veggies. So your snacks should be balanced, if you have chips have a small portion and eat with hummus (which has fat & protein) rather than salsa (no fat or protein). Nuts, coconut chips, jerky, yogurt, etc. all make good snacks in reasonable portions. During the day I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and will eat snacks in between if hungry (typically will need at least one afternoon snack). I try not to eat after dinner so that is the one time that I allow myself to get and stay somewhat hungry. You are a big guy so you'll want to be eating fairly substantial meals and snacks. If you focus on the fat, protein, and fiber, I think you'll find things are not as hard as you think they'll be.