how much weight is the extra skin?

Options
i cant help but wonder. i use to be 560, and now im almost 310. my stomach looks pretty awful and i cant help but wonder if i got to remove the skin how much what i really weigh, does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't think skin without fat attached weighs very much. Most web sites say the average is about 9 or 10 pounds. But if you have extra skin I suppose it could be a little higher.

There is a blog by some guy that lost a huge amount of weight then began weight lifting. He has lots of extra skin but its not all visible unless he pulls on it. Some areas it does sag of course, including his belly if I recall correctly. Anyway, the skin surrounding his muscular arms is very, very thin.

I can't find the blog but did find a link to an article about him:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2829255/Loose-skin-happy-21-year-old-lost-160lbs-posts-brave-video-sagging-skin-hidden-vest.html
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to Ed :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/CyberEd312
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    It varies from person to person; there's no real way to figure that out just by looking at someone.

You'll want to keep at it until you reach your goal, and then consider any skin removal close to your ending point. Congrats on the huge loss!
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong on this, because it's been over 3 years now, that that was something I asked my husband's surgeon when he had gastric by-pass. Dr. K said (if I'm not mistaken) for every 100lbs a person loses, they have anywhere from 5 to 10lbs of excess skin, depending upon the person. So, right now, I've got about 10 to 20lbs of skin, which I believe. I have a HORRIBLE time finding pants to fit. Anything that would fit my waist wouldn't remotely go over my skin, and what does go over my skin, is so big, I have to wear a belt so it doesn't fall off of me. I wear a 14 in dresses and shirts (average sizes), and 20W or 22W in pants to go over the skin on my lower stomach.

In about another year I'm definitely getting this stuff taken off. Not only does it look bad, it feels bad, and hurts.
  • JVClubs
    JVClubs Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »
    I may be wrong on this, because it's been over 3 years now, that that was something I asked my husband's surgeon when he had gastric by-pass. Dr. K said (if I'm not mistaken) for every 100lbs a person loses, they have anywhere from 5 to 10lbs of excess skin, depending upon the person. So, right now, I've got about 10 to 20lbs of skin, which I believe. I have a HORRIBLE time finding pants to fit. Anything that would fit my waist wouldn't remotely go over my skin, and what does go over my skin, is so big, I have to wear a belt so it doesn't fall off of me. I wear a 14 in dresses and shirts (average sizes), and 20W or 22W in pants to go over the skin on my lower stomach.

In about another year I'm definitely getting this stuff taken off. Not only does it look bad, it feels bad, and hurts.

agreed on this, means ive also got about 10-20 lbs of too much skin maybe even 25
  • Chuckermyfitnesspal
    Options
    You didn't grow more skin, it just stretched, so likely the exact same skin weight as skinny or fat.
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    On the show "EXTREME WEIGHT LOSS" on ABC almost all of the people have skin removal surgery at the end. Most of the time it seems to be 15 to 25 lbs.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Miss_1999 wrote: »

Heh. That means I probably have about 5 lbs of it. Which, to be honest, seems about right. I lost about 100 lbs, and I do have loose skin. It's not noticeable at all unless I bend over in a belly shirt or something. I know it's there, but most don't. But it does feel like about 5 lbs of it.

The most I've heard someone having was about 10 lbs. They'd lost about 200 lbs. So, once again, seems about right.

I would imagine it's case by case. Regardless.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You didn't grow more skin, it just stretched, so likely the exact same skin weight as skinny or fat.

I don't think that's exactly what they're asking. Sure, it weighs the same regardless. But removing the excess skin does remove an insignificant amount of weight (such as 5-10 lbs, maybe more if they lost more).